Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

HI everyone! This is my very first post on this site and I just started listening to Wilco about a month ago. I can thank my brother for indroducing me to all this great music lately-Wilco is my favorite:). I feel like I just discovered the effing beatles again or something. There is this massive treasure trove of amazing music that I absolutely love. I feel like i need to show the music to every one of my friends and shout it from the rooftops!! I Love You Wilco!!

Aah.. I'm listening to their new album for the third time as I type. One sec I need to revel in the majesty...... *closes eyes, slowely shakes head* yeeeaasss. (thanks andrew! ((kickingtv2)) love ya)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One Wing" got me right in my gooey center. "Wilco (The Song) managed to remind me simultaneously of The Beatles and VU. I am so happy the "Nova" in "Bull Black Nova" was a car reference; the end melted my face off. So far, I am liking it.

They are too comfortable and the music suffers.

It's their choice to make music that sounds good to them as they age, and I won't fight them for it. I will even respect them a lot for disregarding the critics views of Sky Blue Sky and continuing down (more or less) the same path. Though the music is only 'good.'

It's their choice to make music that sounds good to them as they age, and I won't fight them for it. I will even respect them a lot for disregarding the critics views of Sky Blue Sky and continuing down (more or less) the same path. Though the music is only 'good.'

Woah there, cowboy.

I still think "One Wing" is the best track here.

I think "I'll Fight" is my favorite song on the record. When it goes out of the "I'll fight" bit and into the storytelling bit, that right there is the best melody on the whole damn album.

I may be the only one, but I find it makes me curious when I see people with 0 posts make this kind of a comment as their first reason to talk. Don't misunderstand me - your opinion is important, it's valid, and it's yours. But since we don't know you, could you share a little bit about your musical identity, i.e. who are your top 5 bands right now doing better work in your opinion? I'm just really curious what other people are going crazy for who think this new album is just 'good.' A little perspective and maybe a recommendation of some good music is all I'm asking. :) Welcome to VC, by the way.

Huh?

LOL..what's wrong with good music?

Also, Im pretty sure SBS had quite a decent critical reception..unless you are solely talking about Pitchfork Media..then I can guess you assume that everyone in the world feels the way they do? Did they help you form your opinion on what is considered "good" music too?

I think Country Disappeared is the weakest song on the album as well folks.

I think it might be a bit early to compare them but I can say musically I like this one better than SBS and AM, not sure if it could beat out the middle four records but only time will tell.

is there a copy out there that isn't a .rar file? I can't convert on my computer... thanks.

Yep there is a zip file of mp3's posted on sendspace. You can find the link by searching on twitter.

I'd send it to you if I could send a PM. :dontgetit

i think the album is pretty good - only listened to it twice. sonny feeling - great song. i'll fight - great song. one wing - great song. feist duet - great song. definitely a step up from sbs - and i don't hear out of place guitar solos really anywhere in this album, so that's a relief. some songs though are kinda iffy... but i'm willing to give it plenty of time.

kudos for wilco for once again leaking their own album for free. they are the only band that does that - radiohead might get all the attention and credit for in rainbows, but wilco has been streaming their albums in their entirety for free months in advance for quite a while now.

I have only listened twice and I like it a lot! I have a feeling on repeat listens on maximum volume it will get even better.

I love Wilco the song! great opener!

I love Bull Black Nova and You Never Know1

Can't think right now need to listen more just wanted to say something positive.

Also on a side note, there are no bad Wilco albums they are all great, I may like some better than others but any one of them make me smile!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to heap on the praise as well and I know I'll probably get slammed on this board for saying this:

I'm just not feeling it. It's dull in much the same way SBS was but without You Are My Face, Impossible Germany, and Side With The Seeds to bolster it up.

I love Bull Black Nova and even Sunny Feeling, but the rest of the album is quite bland.

They torn apart One Wing as the ending I heard live was excellent and by far the best part of the song: it's missing on the album and the song suffers without it.

Also, I could do without Solitaire and Everlasting completely.

I'm hoping it'll grow on me but I'm not holding my breath: I'm sadly not impressed.

Can I make a comment that hopefully some other people will agree with. Those people who insist on ranking Wilco albums are annoying nerds. Why do people consistently feel they need to do this like they are collating baseball statistics or something? I can totally understand an obvious desire to compare to the last album. But this constant making of lists really does a disservice to the music. Wouldn't it better to try and just enjoy each album as a unique piece of art amongst a collection of other pieces.

Can I make a comment that hopefully some other people will agree with. Those people who insist on ranking Wilco albums are annoying nerds. Why do people consistently feel they need to do this like they are collating baseball statistics or something? I can totally understand an obvious desire to compare to the last album. But this constant making of lists really does a disservice to the music. Wouldn't it better to try and just enjoy each album as a unique piece of art amongst a collection of other pieces.

Where are people doing this?

Ha, I was just going to make the same observation. I have never understood the compulsion people have to rank albums in relation to each other. (And not chronologically.) Clearly I'm in the minority, because everyone else seems to do it. But that's just not how I think of it at all. I know what I like and don't like - I could give you lists of stuff I love and hate - but I've never felt the need to put it all onto any sort of continuum. Which is odd, because I organize the hell out of most things in my life.

SS - people are doing it all over the place here in terms of where this album ranks in relation to Wilco's other albums for them. Just as one example. In general there's also ranking songs from a particular artist catalog, albums (of the year), etc.

Guest Speed Racer
I'm hoping it'll grow on me but I'm not holding my breath: I'm sadly not impressed.

I'm sorry. :( I felt like people were trying to say awesome things at the funeral of a bitchy grandmother nobody liked, for the first year after SBS came out, if it helps. Thinking of great things to say, just to say something nice. That isn't to say that's how it went down, but that's how I perceived it.

Anyway, I feel your pain. Sorry you don't like it (hopefully just for now!). :cheekkiss

SS - people are doing it all over the place here in terms of where this album ranks in relation to Wilco's other albums for them. Just as one example. In general there's also ranking songs from a particular artist catalog, albums (of the year), etc.

Ahh - I thought auctioneer meant threads dedicated to ranking the Wilco albums (not just chronologically).

I can't stop listening.... Country Disappeared is really the only song that falls flat although there are aspect of the George Harrison number that make me scractch my head. Other then that I can't stop listening as this just sounds like more of a complete album then SBS and it feels good to be done with SBS. :boff