Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

how anyone can think a Wilco album is worse than a Hold Steady one is beyond me, the Hold Steady are one of the biggest piece of crap bands i have ever heard in my life, for all you who like them tell the singer to learn how to sing and to stop looking like a fairy on stage. This albums not bad, all wilco albums take a few listens, I didnt like YHFT or ST the first time I heard them, but now I do

You just offended 80% of Urban Outfitter shoppers.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You Never Know": good single choice? Cause apparently that's the first (read: The only) single.

really? where did you see that?

ugh... the one song on the album i really, really dislike.

bad pick, IMO - a retro 70's AM radio pop song isn't going to do anything but reinforce the whole "dad rock" image/criticism.

I think "One Wing" would be so much better as the single.

Yeah, I'm surprised that they would choose You Never Know as the single- it is catchy and definitely radio-friendly, but is not representative of the sonic quality of a lot of the album, or Wilco in general.

And tharc, I'm not sure if my commented elicited your response, or not. But I think it's important to stay away from making generalizations in these broadly inclusive terms like "the indie crowd." Indie, the word itself, is already something that seems to have taken on too many meanings for it to ever be used to actually convey any one single idea. Regardless of all those semantics though, I feel like I need to defend myself and say that, no I don't think they NEED to continue in the experimental direction because of the fact that they have already made YHF and AGIB. Instead, I wish they had done something more experimental because currently I find myself more interested in it, moreso than pop stuff. Still, I certainly respect the decision they made to go in this direction, and they did it damn well. I would never say that anything on the album is "bad music." There's just too much that is admirable about all of the musicians in Wilco...

EDIT:

I should add that all of SBS was perfect- the best follow up to AGIB I could ask for. I don't feel that way as much about W(TA) in terms of following SBS.

Jeff used to sing snipets of Summer Breeze when he'd introduce the song Summerteeth on the 1999 tour.

--Mike.

i've heard some shows where he sings "summerteeth, makes me fee fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind"

One Wing is a great song, I am also kind of partial to Country Disappeared (it kind of reminds me of old school REM), and You and I. Bull Black Nova was kind of a disappointment to me. Everybody keeps comparing it to Spiders, but it isn't quite as good. Spiders has the running bass line line and repeating melody, but it kicks in and delivers with the breakdown, which makes it a great song. Bull Black Nova, which has the lyrical edge over Spiders, just doesn't deliver like Spiders does. Maybe I need to listen to it a bunch more time. I didn't get Spiders, until I heard it live, then it became one of my favorite songs.

Have listened to the new record a couple of times now and it's really good. There are a couple of tracks I am not warming too ('Everlasting, Everything' and 'Deeper Down') but everything else is top notch. I actually love 'Wilco - The Song'. It s a great opener. 'I'll fight' also sticks in the mind. I was a big fan of SBS but I think this is more consistant. Infact there are no songs on the new record that I really dislike (Shake it off, What Light, I'm a Wheel etc), unlike previous releases. It's all good.

Guest Speed Racer

I've started shuffling the album instead of listening to it in the proper order, and that's shockingly helped me with the songs I was lukewarm on. "Solitaire" came on and I thought, " :wub Oh, this one," instead of expecting it after Country Disappeared (which I had the same reaction to when it came on after "Bull Black Nova."

Bull Black Nova was kind of a disappointment to me. Everybody keeps comparing it to Spiders, but it isn't quite as good. Spiders has the running bass line line and repeating melody, but it kicks in and delivers with the breakdown, which makes it a great song. Bull Black Nova, which has the lyrical edge over Spiders, just doesn't deliver like Spiders does. Maybe I need to listen to it a bunch more time. I didn't get Spiders, until I heard it live, then it became one of my favorite songs.

I think it's actually an improvement. BBN has a more organic kind of urgency over it, whereas spiders sounded a little too forced.

it seems like, in an age when bands' album get worse and worse as they release more and more, wilco is one of the only band i can count on to get better and better. this album is amazing!!! ive listened to it 3 times through so far. i have to say that the 2 songs that stand out to me the most are "Wilco (the song)" and "Bull Black Nova". that ones creepy, man. hes singin bout killing someone. did he kill jay bennett!?!?!?! :)

I think it's actually an improvement. BBN has a more organic kind of urgency over it, whereas spiders sounded a little too forced.

Definitely I think Bull Black Nova has the energy that live versions of Spiders have. It's definitely more frantic and charged (though I do like the studio Spiders a lot).

I've started shuffling the album instead of listening to it in the proper order"

I have been doing the same and I find this disconcerting. Knowing how much Tweedy puts into trackiing on the albums, after mulitple listenings the cohesiveness is lacking. I'm listening to songs here and there, something I've never done with a Wilco album -- at least not until low after I'd worn the grooves a good bit.

Perhaps the album name is perfect, because frankly there's no theme or ethereal album dna that strands it together.

I find interesting, in the pre-order of the LP, that it is a single disk -- and wonder if tracking, timing and even song edits (cutting Everlasting and One Wing short, perhaps) in order to keep it to a single disk -- a well worn complaint of bands' vinyl releases.

it kind of reminds me of old school REM.

Wacky off-the-cuff thought:

I find a parallel with the band now -- where they're at musicially, creatively, personnel and with this album -- to REM in the Green-Out of Time phase. W(TA) has a real "out of time" feel to it, where REM was crafting songs, exploring genres, a timeless collection of songs. Green ... I think most can see the SBS parallels.

I know it's getting ahead of myself, but if there's any truth to the paralells Wilco's best album is one away ...