Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

long term lurker - new poster

Deeper Down = kicks ass

Wilco the Song = rocked up more than expected

Everlasting = made my wife cry

I'll Fight = caused a marital dispute = I loved it = my wife said it reminded her of Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I'll go, I'll go, I'll go)???

Bull Black Nova = fits comfortably in the Wilco subgenre that also includes Via Chicago and She's A Jar = I call it "Misogyny that makes me happy because it is so damn catchy"

Country Disappeared = my favorite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first it was weird to hear Feist's vocals without the AM radio, re-amp treatment they put on her records, but after a couple listens it makes me hope she'll put them through straight without the extra distortion/weird eq.

she doesn't use the treatment on all...or most...of her songs off of The Reminder.

I've listened to the album about three times throughout the day and I think because I had heard all but three of the songs many times over the past few months that it really didn't have the same impact on me as some other albums that I hadn't heard previous to release. I knew what was coming. The "new" ones actually are my favorite especially You Never Know. Bull Black Nova has a John Lennon feel to it for me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on. I almost wish I hadn't heard all those live versions of the others so I could feel the way a new album is supposed to make you feel. Many have posted that these songs will grow on them but they've already reached that stage for me. I got used to hearing them as stand alones on mix CDs I've made so the sequencing isn't anything special to me though I am sure it is to first time listeners. I've played Wilco the Song to death since the Colbert Show which definitely spoiled what I would feel about it now. What I am trying to say is that most of these songs are old friends already. The Jolly Banker song helps a bit. Hope there are a few more unreleased nuggets to download when the CD comes out.

I like the album, don't get me wrong, but to me it feels like when I was a kid and I snooped around and saw all my Christmas presents before they were wrapped. It's not the same after that. But like everyone here, I found it hard not to listen to the new songs of one of the best bands in the world when I got the chance. Maybe next time I'll take the pledge......not.

she doesn't use the treatment on all...or most...of her songs off of The Reminder.

There is a weird kind of eq/reverb thing on the Reminder. There's some piercing frequencies that get kind of amplified by the reverb.. I hear it most on So Sorry. It doesn't really bother me, but it's there.

Country Disappeared is a nice track, but they could've done more with it. When I first heard it, I almost heard it getting an Ashes treatment or at least some mellotron or strings. The arrangement is pretty boring on the record, but the lyrics and especially that chorus melody are really beautiful

That Hold Steady board is pretty funny. There's really not much talk about the new album and its split pretty evenly. There is a funny Seals and Croft reference.

Jeff used to sing snipets of Summer Breeze when he'd introduce the song Summerteeth on the 1999 tour.

--Mike.

HI everyone! This is my very first post on this site and I just started listening to Wilco about a month ago. I can thank my brother for indroducing me to all this great music lately-Wilco is my favorite:). I feel like I just discovered the effing beatles again or something. There is this massive treasure trove of amazing music that I absolutely love. I feel like i need to show the music to every one of my friends and shout it from the rooftops!! I Love You Wilco!!

Aah.. I'm listening to their new album for the third time as I type. One sec I need to revel in the majesty...... *closes eyes, slowely shakes head* yeeeaasss. (thanks andrew! ((kickingtv2)) love ya)

AGIB and SBS are perfect and IMHO masterpieces. So far the new one sounds absolutely fantastic to me. I respect all your opinions and music is subjective but like someone once said, you are just wrong.

AGIB and SBS are perfect and IMHO masterpieces. So far the new one sounds absolutely fantastic to me. I respect all your opinions and music is subjective but like someone once said, you are just wrong.

Moss, did you mean to quote that guy? He didn't post anything negative.

--Mike.

Guest Alan
For the people wringing their hands over "You Never Know" sounding like "My Sweet Lord": "My Sweet Lord" actually ripped off The Chiffons' "He's So Fine", so it's not as if "My Sweet Lord" is some sacred cow. The links are undeniable, but I don't think that detracts from any of those songs. I like them all.

George Harrison eventually bought the rights to "He's So Fine" - maybe Jeff Tweedy will one day buy the rights to both songs from the Harrison estate. :P

megaeyeroll.gif

Still beats Neko Case's & Hold Steady's latest releases in the boring department though.

Disagree, Agree respectively.

how anyone can think a Wilco album is worse than a Hold Steady one is beyond me, the Hold Steady are one of the biggest piece of crap bands i have ever heard in my life, for all you who like them tell the singer to learn how to sing and to stop looking like a fairy on stage. This albums not bad, all wilco albums take a few listens, I didnt like YHFT or ST the first time I heard them, but now I do

Let me guess, you're not an Art Brut fan either.

I kinda like the sing/speak thing - plus a lot of great bands have had one or more people who looked like fairies on stage. You obviously don't think they're one of them and that's fine. I love me some Hold Steady, but they're no Wilco.

Moss, did you mean to quote that guy? He didn't post anything negative.

--Mike.

OK, I'm cut off. I apologize to anyone who might have got offended. I think I was responding to a response of a response on another thread about another band. I got a little fired up. That should have said:

Welcome Potkettleslacker, you are right on and thank you for crystallizing my thoughts completely. And thanks mpolak21 for straightening my sorry ass out.

Sweet Jesus how embarrassing.

Wow. Rough.

Where the HELL did someone post that?!? A FAIRY!!! Are you KIDDING me?!?

After just a couple listens my overall opinion is that I really really like the record and I look forward to seeing them performed live. Though when I transferred the tracks to my iPod they were all out of order, so my first exposure is one of relative weirdness as I kept stopping songs to go to the right order :twitchsmile

Love BBN, Solitaire, I'll Fight and WTS. Again, looking forward to multiple listens and comments on individual songs.

I wonder though if You and I will become the "Leave me like you found me" of this record and rarely get played live, since Feist clearly will not be touring with the band.

Where the HELL did someone post that?!? A FAIRY!!! Are you KIDDING me?!?

Talking about the hold steady lead singer (tip -- click the little arrow in the quote title to take you to the actual quoted post -- I had to do the same thing :lol)

Guest Hollinger.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH PEOPLE SHIT TALKING THE HOLD STEADY AND NEKO CASE IN HERE I AM GOING TO GO ON A MURDEROUS RAMPAGE AND I'M STARTED AT YOUR FUCKING HOUSES YOU HIGHY MESSED UP FREAKS. I AM ACTUALLY A RESPECTED MUSIC CRITIC.

I've been lurking for a couple of months, but this is my first post. I just discovered Wilco last summer, and I've grown to love them. They are in my handful of favorite bands right now, along with the Beatles, Bruce Cockburn, Lloyd Cole, and lately, Chuck Prophet. These days, I'm listening to much more Wilco than anything else.

That said, I love this album. It has a great mix of styles, that I'm really enjoying. I don't know all of the cuts yet, since I've only listened four times, but I can't wait to beat it to death :)

Thanks for all the great info you've all shared over the months I've been here. I'm really enjoying myself.

Welcome to Via Chicago!