Beck And Wilco Cover Skip Spence's Oar

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Random thoughts on the Record Club that occurred to me while watching that one:

- Leslie Feist is so frickin' charming and lovely. She's a bit disheviled and lacking make-up at these sessions, and that makes me love her even more.

- I'm surprised at what a low profile Beck keeps on all these songs. It's his gig, on his site, and it's the album he wanted to cover. I'm neither happy or sad about it, just surprised.

- How the hell do I download an mp3 of these songs? I'd love to have all 3 of the albums they've done so far.

- Nels is, in a word, perfect. He knows just what a song needs. On Broken Heart he's laying low and giving it just that nice, understatedly mournful slide bit. Other songs he takes over with a freak-out jam. Nels and music are like this. )(

Those are supposed to be two fingers crossed. Not quite sure how to show that with text.

- Who is the dude with the beard who's been singing on some of these songs? I can't place him from the pics on the Record Club home page. I think it might be Jamie Lidell. Should I know Jamie Lidell?

See! I told you they were random.

- Who is the dude with the beard who's been singing on some of these songs? I can't place him from the pics on the Record Club home page. I think it might be Jamie Lidell. Should I know Jamie Lidell?

That is indeed Jamie Lidell, and he is worth knowing. After putting out a bunch of glitchy, experimental electronic music, he's now recorded a couple of amazing soul records (while still keeping his sampler chops intact). I've seen him a couple of times perform with just his voice and a couple of laptops, and both times ended with a complete party onstage. Check out these two clips to get a sense of the range of this guy:

• 2 weeks later...