Beck And Wilco Cover Skip Spence's Oar

http://pitchfork.com/news/35990-beck-and-wilco-cover-skip-spence/

By now, you know all about Beck's Record Club, the new project in which Mr. Hansen and a revolving cast of guests get together to cover an entire album's worth of songs in a day. The results are then posted on Beck's revamped (and suddenly great) website. For the first installment, Beck, producer Nigel Godrich, actor Giovanni Ribisi, and others have been splendidly rolling their way through The Velvet Underground & Nico; as of right now, they've gotten as far as "Run, Run, Run".

So far, Beck's been mum on what other albums might be coming up in Record Club. When he talked to Pitchfork last month, he'd only discuss the Digital Underground and Ace of Base albums that he almost covered.

However, we have now uncovered the identity of one of the albums in the Record Club pipeline.

Last month, Beck got together with Wilco in L.A. to record their version of the 1969 cult fave Oar by onetime Moby Grape/Jefferson Airplane member turned acid casualty Skip Spence. Beck's long been a public admirer of Spence; he covered Oar's "Halo of Gold" on the 1999 tribute album More Oar. We are good and excited to hear what happens when Beck and Jeff Tweedy, the owners of two of rock's most evocatively weary voices, sing on the same track.

In other Beck website news, he recently posted the second installment in his acoustic run through his 2008 album Modern Guilt. Check out "Gamma Ray" acoustic here.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you not familiar with Skip Spence or this record here is Spence's All Music Guide bio:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0ifoxqr5ld0e~T1

(Oar: 4.5 out 5 stars)

Like a rough, more obscure counterpart to Syd Barrett, Skip Spence was one of the late '60s' most colorful acid casualties. The original Jefferson Airplane drummer (although he was a guitarist who had never played drums before joining the group), Spence left after their first album to join Moby Grape. Like every member of that legendary band, he was a strong presence on their first album, playing guitar, singing, and writing "Omaha." The group ran into rough times in 1968, and Spence had the roughest, flipping out and (according to varying accounts) running amok in a record studio with a fire axe; he ended up being committed to New York's Bellevue Hospital. Upon his release, Spence cut an acid-charred classic, Oar, in 1969. Though released on a major label (Columbia), this was reportedly one of the lowest-selling items in its catalog and is hence one of the most valued psychedelic collector items. Much rawer and more homespun than the early Grape records, it features Spence on all (mostly acoustic) guitars, percussion, and vocals. With an overriding blues influence and doses of country, gospel, and acid freakout thrown in, this sounds something like Mississippi Fred McDowell imbued with the spirit of Haight-Ashbury 1967. It also featured cryptic, punning lyrics and wraithlike vocals that range from a low Fred Neil with gravel hoarseness to a barely there high wisp. Sadly, it was his only solo recording; more sadly, mental illness prevented Spence from reaching a fully functional state throughout the remainder of his lifetime. He died April 16, 1999, just two days short of his 54th birthday; the tribute album, More Oar: A Tribute to Alexander "Skip" Spence, featuring performances by Robert Plant, Beck, and Tom Waits, appeared just a few weeks later.

Jay Farrar is on More Oar. I'd say Oar is not something you really want to hear. The story behind the album is more interesting that the album. They should have covered something good, like a Moby Grape album for example. I suppose it's all well and fine, but to me it is still someone doing a cover album. It may be in a different way, and songs that are off the beaten path, but still, it is a cover album. I guess the trend has not died off yet.

The information in the above paragraph is not quite right. Skip was fired from the Airplane by Marty Balin.

Are the Record Club releases sold, available for download or just streaming? I could only find the streaming tracks on this web site.

I wish they were...I'm REALLY enjoying this and can't wait for the Wilco addition to this project.

They should have covered something good, like a Moby Grape album for example.

How do you feel about 'Crack a Smile' or 'True Love Will Find You in the End' versus the originals? I think it's possible to like a cover of a song without really having any affinity for the original.

How do you feel about 'Crack a Smile' or 'True Love Will Find You in the End' versus the originals? I think it's possible to like a cover of a song without really having any affinity for the original.

I have not heard those songs in a long time. I see what you are saying though. On a positive note, If I was going to do a VU song, I would do Countess from Hong Kong. Beck could do that one, I think.

Someday, The Singing Nerd will do a Moby Grape song called Big.

Jay Farrar is on More Oar. I'd say Oar is not something you really want to hear. The story behind the album is more interesting that the album. They should have covered something good, like a Moby Grape album for example. I suppose it's all well and fine, but to me it is still someone doing a cover album. It may be in a different way, and songs that are off the beaten path, but still, it is a cover album. I guess the trend has not died off yet.

The information in the above paragraph is not quite right. Skip was fired from the Airplane by Marty Balin.

Have you been listening to Beck's VU&Nico cover album? He's doing a fantastic job there, so don't write this off as a covers album. Yea, it's not new Wilco material, but it will be interesting to see how they work with Beck.

It won't be a straighforward cover album, either. If you've heard any of the VU covers, youll know this.

Have you been listening to Beck's VU&Nico cover album? He's doing a fantastic job there, so don't write this off as a covers album. Yea, it's not new Wilco material, but it will be interesting to see how they work with Beck.

It won't be a straighforward cover album, either. If you've heard any of the VU covers, youll know this.

I don't know - it just seem like a lot of artists are doing the cover deal these days. I recognize he is doing something different, than say, another version of Long Black Veil or whatever. It just seems odd to me that he (they?) would choose to do songs off the album Oar. But again, it is something not run of the mill.

I agree with Analogman on this. The VU covers are ok, but that's it - nothing worth writing home about. I think that he's chosen that and Oar because they are actually really simple songs to play, and so can be done fast, but he'd do better covering albums with a bit more room for experimentation.

Oar is good, but almost disturbingly dark. I agree with Aman totally, it's a record that's more fun to read about than to actually listen to. Still I'm sure Beck and Wilco could come up with something pretty interesting with those songs.

--Mike

I think the difference is Beck is covering whole albums. Even many unedeniable classics have a few negelcted tracks, that, while good, are never covered and raved about the way the key tracks are.

I remember reading an interview Beck did with Pitchfork where he said he wanted to cover non-classic albums. This is an interesting idea, I think. The VU&Nico album wasn't much of a surprise, given Beck's connections with the VU, but a couple of the other album's he's mentioned aren't ones tha spring to mind when I think of Beck.

I think the music of his VU covers has been pretty damn interesting, so hearing him and Wilco work together seems like a good comibination. I'll certainly check it out.

I think the difference is Beck is covering whole albums. Even many unedeniable classics have a few negelcted tracks, that, while good, are never covered and raved about the way the key tracks are.

I remember reading an interview Beck did with Pitchfork where he said he wanted to cover non-classic albums. This is an interesting idea, I think. The VU&Nico album wasn't much of a surprise, given Beck's connections with the VU, but a couple of the other album's he's mentioned aren't ones tha spring to mind when I think of Beck.

I think the music of his VU covers has been pretty damn interesting, so hearing him and Wilco work together seems like a good comibination. I'll certainly check it out.

It makes sense to me to cover something like Oar as opposed to say the White Album. At least with Oar you have a chance of coming up with something that is better than the original.

It makes sense to me to cover something like Oar as opposed to say the White Album. At least with Oar you have a chance of coming up with something that is better than the original.

Exactly.

I think if you take a "classic" song, it's hard to cover it and have it sound shity. I think it's harder to record a good version of a subpar song than to record a good version of a classic song.

see i think that stuff like Oar and VU&Nico are totally about the mood of the performances and the mindset of the people recording it at the time - the ambiance etc..., the songs, as such, aren't necessarily great without those factors. so i think covering them just automatically falls flat. all the ones i've heard on the website are like that. it's not that they are bad at all - i enjoyed listening to them once, but there's nothing there to make me want to go back and listen much again.

i'm definately interested in hearing Oar by Beck and Wilco, but it's never going to be better than the orginal, or even close.

see i think that stuff like Oar and VU&Nico are totally about the mood of the performances and the mindset of the people recording it at the time - the ambiance etc..., the songs, as such, aren't necessarily great without those factors. so i think covering them just automatically falls flat. all the ones i've heard on the website are like that. it's not that they are bad at all - i enjoyed listening to them once, but there's nothing there to make me want to go back and listen much again.

i'm definately interested in hearing Oar by Beck and Wilco, but it's never going to be better than the orginal, or even close.

Totally agree with your statement joss.

I dig Oar, but I must admit to not being overly fussed at the thought of Wilco and Beck doing it. I'll probably check it out, but my curiosity is more about the artists involved than the actual material covered.

After reading about Oar a couple months ago I bought the album . . . and listened to it once. I found the experience painful, aside from the song "Little Hands" which I do find relatively pleasant. I agree with those who say you're better off just reading about the album rather than listening to it.

I also purchased Jay Farrar's track from the tribute album - creepy.