Beck And Wilco Cover Skip Spence's Oar

I don't know the Oar stuff but the idea of a Beck-Wilco collaboration is appealing....

Exactly. The prospects of Wilco and Beck, who are both artists who have never been afraid to forge ahead into new territory while at the same time acknowledging the precedents who have taken them there, in and of itself is an exciting thing. Having never heard the record in question here, i don't think i will make an attempt to hear it before listening to their take on it as it is their collaboration which to me is the exciting thing.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First video is up!

http://beck.com/record_club

Been anticipating this since I first heard about it. Thanks for the heads up.

This part confuses me:

"Sitting in on drums, we had James Gadson, who's played on most of the Bill Withers records and on songs like 'Express Yourself' and 'I Will Survive."

this guy must be Glenn's little brother or something....

So weird. There was a while when Vimeo first became popular when I could play them fine, now it's just stop start stop start, including audio. Maybe I'll try in Safari.

if you use firefox, just download the add-on "download helper"

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

then you can download the file and listen at your leisure!

what exactly is the point of getting all these musicians in, when, so far, everything in the project has the same sound and vibe? "cheer up beck, it might never 'appen!"

This isn't bad. At the very least it may encourage fans of Wilco who don't know anything about Moby Grape and Spence to investigate and expand their knowledge and that's no bad thing. Gary Louris did a great version of Little Hands a while back in a solo show.

Honestly, this outshines the previous Record Club entries. Those felt a bit rushed, and a bit goof-offish. This cover feels faithful to the spirit of the original song without being a note for note remake.

I'd say split the difference. The vocals on the Beck & Wilco version are better, but the guitar work on Spence's version is better.

Is it wrong that I like this better than most of Beck OR Wilco's recent work?

The vocals on Spence's version really kills it for me. Kills most of the album actually.

Anyways, am I blind or is there no shots of John or whoever the mysterious bass player is? I see Pat in the beginning but besides that the only Wilco member's I see are Jeff and Glenn.

I'd say split the difference. The vocals on the Beck & Wilco version are better, but the guitar work on Spence's version is better.

Is it wrong that I like this better than most of Beck OR Wilco's recent work?

no, it's not wrong. for me:

oar > beck & wilco oar cover > newest beck > newest wilco

of course this whole argument is completely idiotic since we've only heard one song from the beck/wilco cover album.