Heavy Metal Drummer

California Stars

Red-Eyed And Blue >

I Got You >

Hoodoo Voodoo

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

~11:45PM

Thank you, bböp (only misplaced Hate It Here and You Are My Face).

Sunken Treasure was listed as first encore opener.

KTV (assuming Kicking Television) was listed as second encore finisher.

Red-Eyed And Blue and I'm A Wheel wasn't on the setlist.

No openers tonight.

False start on Summer Teeth.

Jeff invited some (supposedly Chicago) fans on stage to sing along to California Stars.

---

They played Summer Teeth!

Also, my requests for Sunken Treasure were not in vein if they were listed on the setlist!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here was the complete setlist, in the right order, for Royal Oak:

—"The Price Is Right" theme music intro—

Wilco (the song)

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

IATTBYH

A Shot in the Arm

One Wing

Handshake Drugs

A Magazine Called Sunset

Deeper Down

Jesus, etc.

In A Future Age

Impossible Germany

I'll Fight

Summerteeth (started and restarted)

Sonny Feeling

Hate It Here

Can't Stand It

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------------

Poor Places>

Reservations>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

---------------------

You Never Know

Heavy Metal Drummer

California Stars (w/female fan choir)

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)>

Hoodoo Voodoo

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

Jeff invited some (supposedly Chicago) fans on stage to sing along to California Stars.

I'm thinking those little gals should just start touring with the band. :wub

Epic set list. So wish I could have been there.

My spies tell me that all four members of the fan backing chorus are members on this here board... :shifty

Sounds like it was a good time. I'd love to have gone, but I'm just too damn busy right now to drive up to Royal Oak for a show.

Awesome, awesome show last night!

Out of the 10 Wilco shows I've seen, that's got to be my favourite. They just kept playing, and playing, and playing.

And the guys were very kind about signing autographs and posing for pictures after the show too. Damn, I love Wilco!

Thanks a lot guys! Hope to see you again soon.

Awesome show last night... my ears are still ringing this morning.

A couple of random notes:

- Wilco (The Song) through A Shot in the Arm was a rocking 5-song run to start the show. Band was really into it with intense white noise endings.

- The concert was practically two sets. The 1st encore started around 10:40pm, so they essentially played for another hour after the original set was over.

- Someone tried to go stage diving TWICE during Spiders, hitting the floor both times. Jeff, nonetheless, had a field day on the guy, saying stage diving was "so 1993" and "for 12-year olds".

- The guesting girls were good and knew every word of California Stars, so I have to imagine there was a little more to it than just pulling them up on stage. Then, two more girls jumped on stage who I don't think were supposed to.

- Saw Glen after the show going to the bus, and someone was talking with him about how they hadn't played one of the songs in the set in 5 years. Anyone know which song this was? Summer Teeth? Reservations?

Another good show for Detroit by this band though... can't thank them enough. Poor Places --> Reservations --> Spiders was the highlight for me. Can't Stand It and Summer Teeth were also very good as well. Wilco (The Song) was my favorite live song from the new alubm.

That is an insanely awesome set list. All of you who went should feel extra lucky for that one. Wow. My only hope now is that there's a super-clean-pristine recording of this coming out in a few weeks. On that note - is it just me, or has the sound quality of live Wilco recordings waned a bit?

I've spent countless hours on Owl & Bear, nabbing shows from their super-Wilco-database, and it seems that the best sounding [meaning almost CD-like clarity] shows range from 1995 to about 2005. Not every recording there is perfect, but there are a few that are damn close.

Anyway, this sounds like it was a mind-blowing show. Wish I could have been there, but I already made the trip from Kansas City, MO to Red Rocks. Until next time!

That is an insanely awesome set list. All of you who went should feel extra lucky for that one. Wow. My only hope now is that there's a super-clean-pristine recording of this coming out in a few weeks. On that note - is it just me, or has the sound quality of live Wilco recordings waned a bit?

I've spent countless hours on Owl & Bear, nabbing shows from their super-Wilco-database, and it seems that the best sounding [meaning almost CD-like clarity] shows range from 1995 to about 2005. Not every recording there is perfect, but there are a few that are damn close.

Anyway, this sounds like it was a mind-blowing show. Wish I could have been there, but I already made the trip from Kansas City, MO to Red Rocks. Until next time!

Bigger venues are harder to tape. Bigger venues are going to be "chattier" meaning more crowd with your music. New cities mean the "regular" tapers may not be there. Also as years pass "regular" tapers get too old to bother. Taping is a lot of work and sometimes you just want to experience the show sans worries.

Lower prices on taping equipment mean new tapers enter the ring every day. Taping is not rocket science, so you are welcome to enter the ring yourself and give it a shot perhaps you could improve on the poor sounding recordings. Beyond that, if you know of tapers that produce good sources and seem to tape a lot of bands, encourage them to check-out Wilco. Buy them a ticket to a show to encourage them to go. Then you'll get better sources.

arghhh why couldn't coney island be like this? I'm saying best setlist of the tour

dude, are you really gonna complain about the coney island show? of all the shows on this tour. maybe if you were in lowell and got cut short due to rain or were somewhere like wolf trap that had a really tight curfew, you might have a beef. but coney island got some pretty awesome special guests (that no one else on this tour did) and a really fun, energetic show. sometimes it's not what they play but how they play it. :thumbup

royal oak was fantastic, too, but for different reasons.

Bigger venues are harder to tape. Bigger venues are going to be "chattier" meaning more crowd with your music. New cities mean the "regular" tapers may not be there. Also as years pass "regular" tapers get too old to bother. Taping is a lot of work and sometimes you just want to experience the show sans worries.

Lower prices on taping equipment mean new tapers enter the ring every day. Taping is not rocket science, so you are welcome to enter the ring yourself and give it a shot perhaps you could improve on the poor sounding recordings. Beyond that, if you know of tapers that produce good sources and seem to tape a lot of bands, encourage them to check-out Wilco. Buy them a ticket to a show to encourage them to go. Then you'll get better sources.

I realize those things. It was just an observation, not an attack on anyone or a complaint. I understand if it came off that way, but those are not my intentions. I'm totally appreciative of the effort that people put forth to not only capture the recordings, but to make them available. Check your tone with me, son. :thumbup

7 new tunes! It's almost starting to look like they're touring in support of a new album...

Looks like a great set, I wonder if they really are gonna bring 'Kicking Television' back...missed it at the Residency. :ohwell

Awesome... and what a great set list (Summer Teeth, Magazine, Reservations, to name a few) And they played I'll Fight!

I realize those things. It was just an observation, not an attack on anyone or a complaint. I understand if it came off that way, but those are not my intentions. I'm totally appreciative of the effort that people put forth to not only capture the recordings, but to make them available. Check your tone with me, son. :thumbup

Check out the NYC Taper recording of the Wappingers Falls show the other night... very pristine all around. As for the recording of this show, this was in a theater, correct? That could be good news for you

My spies tell me that all four members of the fan backing chorus are members on this here board... :shifty

I've heard this as well, I am sure it was the highlight of the night. I'll let them come on and tell the story themselves. It was fun running on my facebook feed this morning.

You're right, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Generally since 2005, the venues the band has been playing have gotten bigger, and the acoustics aren't always great. Getting decent levels for this particular incarnation of the band is also a little harder than say when the four piece in 2001-early 2002, because so much is going on in every song. They also seem to be less liberal with allowing soundboard patches these days, but I'm sure if I bothered to look it up, it'd be about the same.

But probably the most important thing to keep in mind is Owl tends to put up the best recordings from the earlier era of the band and then almost everything he can get his hands on from the newer tour, because more of the new shows appear on bit torrent and can be easily uploaded. So the recordings probably haven't necessarily gotten worse, but now more of the poorer quality ones are widely available. There are a lot of bad boots from the 1995-2005 era, but many of them were limited in their distribution because of that very reason.

--Mike

I've heard this as well, I am sure it was the highlight of the night. I'll let them come on and tell the story themselves. It was fun running on my facebook feed this morning.

You're right, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Generally since 2005, the venues the band has been playing have gotten bigger, and the acoustics aren't always great. Getting decent levels for this particular incarnation of the band is also a little harder than say when the four piece in 2001-early 2002, because so much is going on in every song. They also seem to be less liberal with allowing soundboard patches these days, but I'm sure if I bothered to look it up, it'd be about the same.

But probably the most important thing to keep in mind is Owl tends to put up the best recordings from the earlier era of the band and then almost everything he can get his hands on from the newer tour, because more of the new shows appear on bit torrent and can be easily uploaded. So the recordings probably haven't necessarily gotten worse, but now more of the poorer quality ones are widely available. There are a lot of bad boots from the 1995-2005 era, but many of them were limited in their distribution because of that very reason.

--Mike

Right, right. I get it - and it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the enlightenment, Mike. :worship

what a setlist!! wow.

i'll fight - must have been a treat!! i'd kill (i'd kill, i'd kill) to hear that song live.

almost twice as long as the lowell set! not complaining, because i wouldn’t trade that night in the rain…but a little jealous of you lucky, lucky michigan fans! you even got magazine which we were supposed to hear!

hope everyone had an amazing time.

This was just an incredible show. It was clear that the band was feeding off of the energy that the crowd was putting forth, and they seemed to really be having fun. Every time I see this band I swear it was the best show ever, but THIS WAS THE BEST SHOW!

Loved the dueling guitars between Pat and Nels during Hoodoo. :thumbup

And well done on California Stars chiquitas!

what a setlist!! wow.

i'll fight - must have been a treat!! i'd kill (i'd kill, i'd kill) to hear that song live.

almost twice as long as the lowell set! not complaining, because i wouldn’t trade that night in the rain…but a little jealous of you lucky, lucky michigan fans! you even got magazine which we were supposed to hear!

hope everyone had an amazing time.

great set, very envious.

would have loved to see the poor places > reservations > spiders segue.

Announcement for a small fall tour? Perhaps a tiny 3-leg show at the 930 club?! Wishful thinking...

--Mike

Wilco does not allow Soundboard patches, although it appears to happen once in a blue moon. We put up all the Wilco and related recordings we can get - regardless of the year or tour. We are not interested in the sound quality of shows (or I'm not, anyhow), but rather archiving all the shows we can get. Of course, some sound better than others.

People who want to bitch about the sound of AUD tapes should remember we are lucky to have them in the first place. If you listen to more shows than just the show you are after, you will grow accustom to the sound. I think in the beginning people freak a little due to the fact that they have only heard polished up official live album releases.

It is also to important to remember that not all Wilco shows get taped. We have many blank spots on our list - for just the last tour alone.

Poor Places-Reservations-Spiders....damn bastards. I haven't had that honor yet.

But I did get my first Misunderstood in Lewiston on Sunday.....so I am happy.

Nice to hear that some fans got to sing Cali Stars with the band; when Conor and the MVB's came up to join Wilco on Sunday, it was obvious none of them knew the words to the song!! Nice touch, but... Ummmm....

Wilco does not allow Soundboard patches, although it appears to happen once in a blue moon. We put up all the Wilco and related recordings we can get - regardless of the year or tour. We are not interested in the sound quality of shows (or I'm not, anyhow), but rather archiving all the shows we can get. Of course, some sound better than others.

People who want to bitch about the sound of AUD tapes should remember we are lucky to have them in the first place. If you listen to more shows than just the show you are after, you will grow accustom to the sound. I think in the beginning people freak a little due to the fact that they have only heard polished up official live album releases.

It is also to important to remember that not all Wilco shows get taped. We have many blank spots on our list - for just the last tour alone.

Mabye I just should have not said anything. Didn't mean to get everyone all revved up and snippy this morning. Like I said above, I am DEEPLY appreciative of the effort that goes into capturing & distributing the recordings - there's no "bitching" coming from THIS guy - just observing that some recordings are great and others aren't. That's all. And I'm grateful for a great guy like the Owl who is willing to host the archive and provide all of us Wilco lovers with hours and hours of great material to geek out to.

On a personal level, the recordings of the shows that I've been to are the ones I listen to the least, and I've listened to a pretty broad range of stuff that's out there - so I'm not spoiled by official releases only.

Not trying to offend anyone here...golly. :cheers

All I can say is, 'a show for the ages.' They looked positively giddy to be there from the first number, and played like it. After playing all the ballpark shows with lots of people there who might not be all that familiar with their music, they really seemed to feed off the crowd singing along right from the very first song--Wilco (the song). I don't have the setlist, but they played 31 songs, including seven from the new album, in two hours and forty minutes. I can't begin to describe the energy.