The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

I don't see the free ones at all. And, is there not a way to purchase the paxam5 in digital format? I may just be overlooking but didn't see it.

that free song is in an e-mail Ryan sent out to people on his mailing list yesterday. Analogman posted it but you need the actual e-mail in order to d/l the free song. if you click the "free jam" text, you can download a cool country song about robo-tripping called Jimmy Whistlenut. :stunned

I have a hunch that the pink vinyl is gone for good now. at the time it was being sold at the art show in NYC, Ryan said that that would be the only place it could be purchased. I guess the gallery sent him what they had left, looks like it wasn't much, so he could sell them on his site.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

• 2 weeks later...

SOOO....I've become a pretty big Ryan Adams fan lately. I knew he had some unreleased stuff, but I am just now coming to grips with how much stuff he actually has recorded. Is there a site that has a majority of this unreleased material? I've looked through this thread but I haven't downloaded anything yet. Browsing through this, http://www.answeringbell.com/ has showed me a lot of stuff(all that is RA? Jesus Christ!) Any must haves?

http://www.ryanadamsarchive.com/torrents.php

This is a pretty good link to begin with. I know that there's others that you can probably find through that links link page.

I know that my best friend downloads/ed anything that he put/s out. I'll ask him what's top notch. For some reason the Pink Heart sessions come into my mind and Suicide Handbook?

Wow, how some titles cease to be erased from one's memory. Unless, of course if I'm wrong.

PS Said best friend got to open for Ryan in June of 2005 at the Starland Ballroom.(long story. I know it's posted on here somewhere by me) Check it out on the Answering Bell website.

PPS Duh. (I almost forgot this) I got to spend some quality time on his tour bus after a Hampton Beach show thanks to my best friend. He was upset that they had to flush away all of their "drugs" because they were leaving Canada to come to NH. LOL

SOOO....I've become a pretty big Ryan Adams fan lately. I knew he had some unreleased stuff, but I am just now coming to grips with how much stuff he actually has recorded. Is there a site that has a majority of this unreleased material? I've looked through this thread but I haven't downloaded anything yet. Browsing through this, http://www.answeringbell.com/ has showed me a lot of stuff(all that is RA? Jesus Christ!) Any must haves?

Suicide Handbook and 48 Hours are awesome. Destroyer is very good, as well. Also worht tracking down are the LIH outakes, B-Sides, Black Clouds Sessions.

is there a non-torrent place you can download these albums zipped?

i've never messed with the torrent stuff.

if you google 'sound opinions message board epic ryan adams thread' you'll find links to all the unreleased stuff.

I wanted to reinforce what Analogman is saying, the majority of this can be found through blog/google searches.

Anyway (speaking of the subject) I just finally got my hands on The Swedish Sessions. Here is my lame fan boy moment. I can't listen to For Beth without getting misty eyed. This song was of course later released offically as Friends on Cold Roses and I always enjoyed that version and dug the sentiment, but hearing this original version kind of killed me. I believe the story goes that Ryan was in Sweden laying down tracks while hanging with Beth Orton. (He appears on her song Concete Sky, and I believe English Girls is about her) anyway, I can just see him writing this song a few days after meeting her and singing it to her in the studio. I feel lame typing this? Breaks my heart this song.

As for the rest of the Swedish Session, it doesn't feel as awesome as 48 Hours or Suicide Handbook or Destroyer, maybe ranks along with Elizabethtown.

Anyway (speaking of the subject) I just finally got my hands on The Swedish Sessions. Here is my lame fan boy moment. I can't listen to For Beth without getting misty eyed. This song was of course later released offically as Friends on Cold Roses and I always enjoyed that version and dug the sentiment, but hearing this original version kind of killed me. I believe the story goes that Ryan was in Sweden laying down tracks while hanging with Beth Orton. (He appears on her song Concete Sky, and I believe English Girls is about her) anyway, I can just see him writing this song a few days after meeting her and singing it to her in the studio. I feel lame typing this? Breaks my heart this song.

Man, I always thought that was Orton singing on "English Girls" and found it weird that she'd sing on a song like that about herself... but it turns out it's Marianne Faithfull? Equally weird.

Man, I always thought that was Orton singing on "English Girls" and found it weird that she'd sing on a song like that about herself... but it turns out it's Marianne Faithfull? Equally weird.

Speaking of English Girls and Love is Hell in general. That is what I believe to be his artistic masterpiece. I've been wanting to listen to it lately, but I'm holding off, it is like having a gift that I could open but waiting makes it more worth it. I need help for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been working on the hundreds of tracklists I have for my CDRs/DVDRs. In doing so, I found that some of the discs were damaged, which led me to searching for those early Whiskeytown "bootlegs". In the process, I decided to grab all I could find. I have heard a lot of these discs over the years, but not all of them.

Whiskeytown -

The Freightwhaler Sessions

Stranger's Almanac Promo (Those Weren't The Days)

The Baseball Park Sessions

The Pre-Strangers Almanac Sessions

The Forever Valentine Sessions

Fucker: The Bug Sessions

Fucker: The Hoboken Sessions

Drunken Confessions

B-Sides and Rarities

Ryan Adams -

The Exile On Franklin Street Sessions

The Destroyer Sessions

The Q Division Demos

The First Pink Heart Sessions

The Suicide Handbook Sessions

The Cowboy Technical Services Demos

48 Hours

The Second Pink Heart Sessions

The Swedish Sessions

Fool's Gold

Live In Jamaica

Love Is Hell B-Sides

Rock & Roll Rarities (fan made round-up of stray tracks)

Black Clouds (early mixes of Love is Hell material and unique live performances)

The Elizabethtown Sessions

Darkbreaker: Elizabethtown Sessions

Other Bonus Tracks (my title - for a bunch of stray Cardinal tracks)

• 1 month later...

I have no issues with that underrated/overrated list. You could write an entire full length article about the treasure trove of unreleased music Ryan has created.

The part that bothers me is the lazy journalism of this whole "Ryan as the new Dylan". I know this "New Dylan" tag has been around since Steve Forbert, but cmon. Ryan never once seemed like the new Dylan to my ears. The "New Westerberg" for sure, but he isn't that type of songwriter. Ryan is a melody man, and heart on the sleeve guy. He never struck me as a poetry songwriter or an angry truth teller.

I think alot of the criticism toward Ryan is due to people placing their own expectations on him. I don't think Ryan intented to be the new dylan or some indie singer songwriter. I think he wanted to be it all and had the chops to do as he pleased. I don't think Ryan owes anybody any thing in relation to expectations. He has exceeded them all.

To be honest the only songwriter that I think fits the "New Dylan" tag is Conor Oberst. That guys is crazy wicked with his lyrics.

Anyway, just my two cents.

did he only get the Dylan tag circa Heartbreaker?

reason i ask - there is a song or two very Dylan-esque on that album.

is it Damn, Sam i'm thinking about maybe?

Oh absolutely, there are a few songs on that album that sound like nobody but Dylan, but i think that is crap to lay that on somebody because that a wrote a song that sounds similar.

It is one thing to say it sounds like dylan or has the dylan vibe, but to expect that type of songwriting is crap especially when you look at everything Ryan did pre - heartbreaker. It holds little similarity to a Dylan type songwriter.