The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

Seems like everyone here hates the guy but count me in as a fan for over 25 years. It's been a roller-coaster ride to say the least but the voice and the songs always outweighed the behavior for me. Not anymore, obviously.

I received a cancellation of the pre-order for his new album ("Due to unforeseen circumstances") in my Inbox yesterday and it hit me hard how profoundly sad this whole thing is for all involved. I hope Ryan can get the help he needs, make amends, and truly apologize to those he has harmed. 

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

I'm worried about Ryan. I hope that he gets the help that he needs. This is, of course, not an excuse for terrible behavior. 

It'll be hard for me to put on any of his albums any time soon, that's for sure. What a shame.

Agreed.

I am naive i suppose, but i have such a hard time understanding how someone could write the most personal songs that seem to tap perfectly into the emotional states we all share, yet didn't have the awareness of how his behavior was affecting the ones he supposedly "loved"? A shame indeed. 

Agreed.

I am naive i suppose, but i have such a hard time understanding how someone could write the most personal songs that seem to tap perfectly into the emotional states we all share, yet didn't have the awareness of how his behavior was affecting the ones he supposedly "loved"? A shame indeed. 

I read this RS article a couple of hours ago. A stretch, perhaps, but something to possibly consider:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-abuse-me-too-songs-lyrics-796686/

I read this RS article a couple of hours ago. A stretch, perhaps, but something to possibly consider:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-abuse-me-too-songs-lyrics-796686/

Worth writing/reading, but a stretch (agree with you). The author's take on Nobody Girl is not mine - I always thought the narrator was the Nobody Girl's internal monologue anyway...

• 4 months later...

Ryan is trying to stage his comeback. Something I noticed his Instagram went from 600k followed down to 35k followers. I’m

Curious to see how this plays out.

My guess is “not well”.

It's really disappointing to see so many positive replies to his tweets. Though, not surprising, even at Solid Sound I saw a number of people in Ryan Adams tshirts. It's especially disconcerting that he hasn't apologized or done anything to suggest he's seeked help or done anything to correct his behavior. He's essentially saying "believe women ........but not these women". There's too much good music out there to spend any time listening to someone like Ryan Adams. Just go away. 

It's really disappointing to see so many positive replies to his tweets. Though, not surprising, even at Solid Sound I saw a number of people in Ryan Adams tshirts. It's especially disconcerting that he hasn't apologized or done anything to suggest he's seeked help or done anything to correct his behavior. He's essentially saying "believe women ........but not these women". There's too much good music out there to spend any time listening to someone like Ryan Adams. Just go away.

Bingo

I agree he needs to go away. I’m watching because this is like a car wreck and I can’t look away. The only way in my opinion he could stage a comeback is to take full responsibility, apologize to all the women he hurt and show he has changed. Until then don’t see it working. He seems so narcissistic with all these new posts

Bingo

I agree he needs to go away. I’m watching because this is like a car wreck and I can’t look away. The only way in my opinion he could stage a comeback is to take full responsibility, apologize to all the women he hurt and show he has changed. Until then don’t see it working. He seems so narcissistic with all these new posts

For sure. It was so disappointing to read that tweet, but not at all surprising.

I appreciate that Cold Roses helped get my through senior year of high school, and Easy Tiger helped soothe my first real break up, but I can’t support an abuser, so I won’t listen to him again or give him my money by going to shows.

There's too much good music out there to spend any time listening to someone like Ryan Adams. Just go away. 

Not defending his alleged behavior in the slightest but....go away where exactly? The guy makes music and performs live for a living. Where is he supposed to go exactly? Change his name and move to Siberia? Give up on his whole career? I'm genuinely curious what he could do that would make anyone happy? For me, it would be discussing the allegations in detail from his perspective and making amends with the woman, but i don't expect that to happen and most wouldn't be happy with that anyway. Is it really that he's just done professionally forever? I was looking forward to hearing from him about the story but whatever he's up to since Saturday isn't playing well at all, and i was one willing to hear him out.   

Call me harsh but.... Ryan Adams is not entitled to a career. Performing in theatres and releasing records is a privilege and until he does make amends (which I don't know how you do that when you're being accused of sexting a child but definitely he could start by apologizing to Phoebe, Mandy, etc directly), yes, I feel like it's not unreasonable to expect him to just disappear and go wherever these me too'd guys go. It's not like he's been making minimum wage for the past 20 years, I'm sure he can live a comfortable life outside of the public eye. 

As it is, I can't imagine too many promoters wanting to book him, I don't think anyone would want to play with him and I can't see any notable record label releasing his albums any time soon. But who knows, maybe the general public is more forgiving than I am. 

This whole situation just sucks. Cold Roses was one of my all time favourites. I spent my 30th birthday at his last Vancouver show. His music was played at my wedding reception. But fuck him, he's ruined it. His music is tainted now and I don't see how he can fix that. 

• 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, Analogman said:

Anyone see Ryan recently? Apparently - he played some Uncle Tupelo songs the other night in St. Louis. I have not heard any of them - but I think he has released 4 or 5 albums this year. 

I'd sworn him off live even before is #metoo controversy. I saw him twice and both shows were sleepers. He released some of my favorite stuff in the late 20th and early 21st century and I can't swear off  Whiskeytown and his early solo LPs. Hard for me to dive into his new stuff though.

He played in Chicago last night.  Thought about going, but it would have made my wife very unhappy so I decided against it.  He's got so much material. Some of it is undeniably excellent.

• 1 month later...

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates, just him, an acoustic guitar and a piano  (the presale was that day). I love Adams’ music and several songs are the soundtrack to important times in my life. I was dismayed with the revelations in the New York Times article and the way he responded. My wife also. Hell, she used to jokingly refer to him as her boyfriend. Anyway, I never stopped listening to his music, particularly, though not exclusively, The Cardinals back to Whiskeytown. I have a close friend who is also a big fan. We both decided we’d likely never see him again. 

Anyway, I looked at the tour dates and saw that he was playing a theatre nearby in March. I decided to look at the tickets. They were pricier than I expected, but front row center of the balcony was $116 for 2, including fees. I decided to purchase, but when I got to confirm, I balked, watching the timer tick down. I decided to look at recent set lists. 35 songs, older songs, very cool covers, not the exact same set every night... Oof. Then I noticed most nights he was playing 16 Days. That song means a lot to me. I went back to the ticket page. 51 seconds left. I breathed deep and clicked. I can understand someone choosing differently, but I know those songs will wash over my wife and I like a river of emotions, bringing us the sadness, comfort, and joy they always do, but even more so when they have been experienced live. He did horrible things, I respect those women and they deserve whatever they feel they need. I hope he finds what he is missing that enables him to provide it to them.

The best art has meaning, independent of the artist. That is why we listen, look, watch, read, etc.

• Like 2
On 12/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, Doug C said:

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates, just him, an acoustic guitar and a piano  (the presale was that day). I love Adams’ music and several songs are the soundtrack to important times in my life. I was dismayed with the revelations in the New York Times article and the way he responded. My wife also. Hell, she used to jokingly refer to him as her boyfriend. Anyway, I never stopped listening to his music, particularly, though not exclusively, The Cardinals back to Whiskeytown. I have a close friend who is also a big fan. We both decided we’d likely never see him again. 

Anyway, I looked at the tour dates and saw that he was playing a theatre nearby in March. I decided to look at the tickets. They were pricier than I expected, but front row center of the balcony was $116 for 2, including fees. I decided to purchase, but when I got to confirm, I balked, watching the timer tick down. I decided to look at recent set lists. 35 songs, older songs, very cool covers, not the exact same set every night... Oof. Then I noticed most nights he was playing 16 Days. That song means a lot to me. I went back to the ticket page. 51 seconds left. I breathed deep and clicked. I can understand someone choosing differently, but I know those songs will wash over my wife and I like a river of emotions, bringing us the sadness, comfort, and joy they always do, but even more so when they have been experienced live. He did horrible things, I respect those women and they deserve whatever they feel they need. I hope he finds what he is missing that enables him to provide it to them.

The best art has meaning, independent of the artist. That is why we listen, look, watch, read, etc.

I 100% understand both your reticence and your decision to pull the trigger. I saw him live twice and was left disappointed both times. I love Whiskeytown and tons of his solo work. Even before the NYT piece, I'd decided he wasn't really the best person, that, the NYT piece, his response, and my disappointment in his live shows have him mostly on the backburner for me now.

I do love the essay he wrote for the 25th Anniversary release of Bob Mould's Workbook.