The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

I believe the deal was that he compared the album to Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. I believe this was due to the feel and some of sounds of Heartbreaker - not the song writing.

I wish we could go back to real rock music writing, instead of lists and short articles.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

I'm pretty sure Dylan asked Adams what a "winding wheel" was and Adams said he didn't know. :lol true story.

you know, it is such a great song that I never questioned what it is.

didn't tom rush or somebody have a song called "Driving Wheel"?

Maybe it is like that?

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of Other Windows

News Archive Published: 2010/02/24

Phil Lesh contributes to Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of Other Windows Phil Lesh has written the afterward to the new book by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals guitarist Neal Casal. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: A View of Other Windows collects over 200 photographs Casal took while playing with the Cardinals, especially “solitary aspects of the creative process and life on the road.” The intense collection captures the group’s rise through its hiatus in 2009, including late bassist Chris Feinstein. Adams himself contributes the book’s forward.

Phil Lesh first met Ryan Adams at the 2005 Jammy Awards. They clicked and the Grateful Dead bassist added Adams to his Phil Lesh & Friends group for a few shows later that year. The musicians have collaborated a few times in the years since, and Lesh currently plays Adams’ “Magnolia Mountain,” “Peaceful Valley” and “Nobody Girl” with Furthur. In his afterward Lesh writes: “One thing that can be said about Ryan—he brings the crazy.”

"including late bassist Chris Feinstein".. oh man, I had no idea he had passed. Sad news.

for sure. I never got a chance to see the Cardinals live but followed them extensively online and such for a handful of years. hard to believe that one of those guys are no longer with us. doesn't feel right and probably never will. watching that youtube clip for the new book made me tear up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5Y6AjGnto

I'm getting eager for new material. I've said before on here that I'm a super fan boy of Ryan's and I usually love everything he does. Cardinology was ripped apart around here, but with the exception of three songs I love that record. All that being said, I'm hoping he comes out with something really sweet. I'm always longing for something a little rough around the edges and raw like Heartbreaker and Love Is Hell, but I'm ready for whatever he throws out there. I would also love to see Lost Highway or Ryan to start offically putting out the unreleased stuff (some of that stuff is mindblowing).

I listened to heartbreaker the other night on vinyl, and sure, it's great, but now that I have some distance from his more recent stuff, I can better appreciate how great his stuff with the Cardinals is. I really love some of those songs. I dont spend much time ranking albums, but I think he's a better songwriter now than he was on Heartbreaker.

I listened to heartbreaker the other night on vinyl, and sure, it's great, but now that I have some distance from his more recent stuff, I can better appreciate how great his stuff with the Cardinals is. I really love some of those songs. I dont spend much time ranking albums, but I think he's a better songwriter now than he was on Heartbreaker.

You know, with Ryan I think he has generally been consistent from day one. From Faithless Street onward he has always had the ability with melody and song structure. He is one that makes it seem far easier than it is and in all directions he goes. I use to obsess over Heartbreaker and I struggle to hear it the same way I use to, but there a number of songs on that record that are completely timeless and "Come Pick Me Up" still stops me in my tracks everytime.

I've never been able to enjoy any of his stuff as much as heartbreaker and gold, and I don't understand why. I've tried and tried. there are gems here and there for me, but a lot of it seems like self-indulgent throwaways

yeah its weird. most of my friends dont like him. they think he's self-indulgent or adult contemporary. Two qualities that I despise, and I think (as a general matter) my own personal radar for either of those things is pretty well tuned. I guess it's just fine line, and he doesn't cross the line for me. I can't explain it. I'd probably hate anyone else singing a song like Stop or I Taught Myself How To Grow Old or The Sun Also Sets.

I won't speak for the song "Stop" because I'm not overly trilled about that track, but I'll never forget going into the store to buy Gold on release date and the record clerk (who I got along with really well) said "why you buying that Sting sounding shit?" You know, If it rubs you wrong, so be it, I feel blessed that ryan's music exsists, it has provided me with a lot of pleasure and insight.

at the end of the day, I think the reason it feels right to me is because I percieve every note and word to be utterly sincere. there are alot of things I'm sure Ryan is, but I never got preteniousness or insincere from him. Sure a band like Grizzly Bear may be more challenging, but just as comparison I feel nothing when I hear them. I always feel something from a Ryan Adams song.

I won't speak for the song "Stop" because I'm not overly trilled about that track, but I'll never forget going into the store to buy Gold on release date and the record clerk (who I got along with really well) said "why you buying that Sting sounding shit?" You know, If it rubs you wrong, so be it, I feel blessed that ryan's music exsists, it has provided me with a lot of pleasure and insight.

at the end of the day, I think the reason it feels right to me is because I percieve every note and word to be utterly sincere. there are alot of things I'm sure Ryan is, but I never got preteniousness or insincere from him. Sure a band like Grizzly Bear may be more challenging, but just as comparison I feel nothing when I hear them. I always feel something from a Ryan Adams song.

your story is one of the reasons, in part, why indie record stores deserve to close. assholes who work there!

your story is one of the reasons, in part, why indie record stores deserve to close. assholes who work there!

Oh I don't know, I know I have stated my opinion a time or two to a friend about some music they were digging. I try more and more to be conscious of what I'm saying and be more respectful for someone's kicks, but I fail consistently with this. But yeah, it was an asshole thing to say, and it shocked me as a response. Man, someone gets a little hype and little success and a little over production and they are suddently Sting? That is quite the logical jump.

picked up A View of Other Windows today from Barnes and Noble. its a very nice book, put together nicely and features some brilliant shots. after seeing many Cardinals photos online, I really appreciate the quality of the photos in this book. reading Ryan's introduction is a little sad, not to mention Chris' comments on the band, but one can't help but smile while flipping through the pages. one can almost compare it to The Wilco Book, however AVoOW features many more band-centered pics. it captures an era of a band in their prime and for those of you who enjoy the music this band made, this book is for you.

ps: the pics of the Cardinals backstage at their last show deciding on the setlist is heartbreaking. the $24.95 for the book is worth it for those 2 pics alone.

picked up A View of Other Windows today from Barnes and Noble. its a very nice book, put together nicely and features some brilliant shots. after seeing many Cardinals photos online, I really appreciate the quality of the photos in this book. reading Ryan's introduction is a little sad, not to mention Chris' comments on the band, but one can't help but smile while flipping through the pages. one can almost compare it to The Wilco Book, however AVoOW features many more band-centered pics. it captures an era of a band in their prime and for those of you who enjoy the music this band made, this book is for you.

ps: the pics of the Cardinals backstage at their last show deciding on the setlist is heartbreaking. the $24.95 for the book is worth it for those 2 pics alone.

HungryHippo nailed it. This book is stunning. If you are a Cardinals fan, it's a must.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the same guy who has unreleased masterpieces like 48 Hours and Darkbreaker. If Ryan wants to release a loud album, he should do up all those wicked Blackhole songs that he talked up about in his so called "box set". It's a waste of talent and a shame to see him dick around with this "metal" (and that's not even metal, he's going to get ridiculed)

This is the same guy who has unreleased masterpieces like 48 Hours and Darkbreaker. If Ryan wants to release a loud album, he should do up all those wicked Blackhole songs that he talked up about in his so called "box set". It's a waste of talent and a shame to see him dick around with this "metal" (and that's not even metal, he's going to get ridiculed)

Bring it on. Honestly, I'm just happy he's putting something out.

If history repeats we might be able to look forward to a "Love Is Hell" type follow up.