the next Beatles thread

Awesome! It'll be good to sift through the Hollywood Bowl concerts. What I really want, more than just the one recording of "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" off of Anthology 2, is to hear a Beatles concert mic'd from the audience to hear what that was like and contrast it with these recordings. There has to be something like this for the Hollywood Bowl concerts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaA6zqAZLE

From what I can remember, the original Hollywood bowl LP sounded just like how George Martin described - like a jet engine of screaming girls with the Beatles in the background. 

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can remember, the original Hollywood bowl LP sounded just like how George Martin described - like a jet engine of screaming girls with the Beatles in the background. 

I have it.  That is what it sounds like.  Worthy of one spin, and that's about it.

I have it.  That is what it sounds like.  Worthy of one spin, and that's about it.

Well then it looks like I'll just have to find the original to compare with the new release, thanks for the info!

Awesome! It'll be good to sift through the Hollywood Bowl concerts. What I really want, more than just the one recording of "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" off of Anthology 2, is to hear a Beatles concert mic'd from the audience to hear what that was like and contrast it with these recordings. There has to be something like this for the Hollywood Bowl concerts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaA6zqAZLE

George's guitar tone in that song is awesome. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am casual fan at best - but I saw the below on my library shelf - the author goes from month to month, starting in Dec. '65. I am only up to March and thus far it's pretty good. It seems that LSD definitely opened up the Beatles' heads. I like the idea of just focusing on one year. Wouldn't mind a book on the '66 Stones.

y450-293.png

Bob Whitaker took the cover shot - so far I haven't came up with session or year. Looks like he shot them from 64-66.

Actually it looks like it was taken from this session: Bob Whitaker: The Beatles at Sheriff Rd Studios, 1965

2613.png

• 1 month later...

WOW! So I was looking at some Beatles setlist stats on setlist.fm It is amazing that only one song ever from Abbey Road was performed live by the Beatles (She's so Heavy), Only one from Sgt Peppers (When I'm Sixty Four) and only one from Magical Mystery Tour (all You Need is Love)  ...Nothing was ever performed from Revolver or the White Album live!

WOW! So I was looking at some Beatles setlist stats on setlist.fm It is amazing that only one song ever from Abbey Road was performed live by the Beatles (She's so Heavy), Only one from Sgt Peppers (When I'm Sixty Four) and only one from Magical Mystery Tour (all You Need is Love)

When did they play When I'm 64?

I'm doubtful that the version of All You Need is Love (for the world broadcast) was "live." 

The Cavern Club August 3, 1963 Acoustic too! Wow I didn't know that one was around that long!

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/the-beatles-23d6a88b.html

Hmm. Seems spurious.

Why are you "wowed" about never having played songs from those latter albums? You know they stopped touring in 1966, right? Basically, the only other live appearance they made was on the Apple Rooftop in 1969, and that was a short set consisting of several takes of Get Back and a couple other songs. 

I know however Revolver was released in August 66 and they did several dates after the release. As for the others I figured maybe there was some promo shows etc even though they weren't touring. I am a casual Beatles fan at best but it fascinated me just how rare it was to hear some of those songs live.

Ah.

It's funny. I've never paid attention to their setlists - but on that last tour, they were locked into the same 10 song list:

Rock N Roll Music

She's a Woman

If I Needed Someone

Day Tripper

Baby's in Black (the strangest song ever - The singer wants to get with this chick who is still in mourning, and he's ticked off about it - like, get over your dead boyfriend already.)

I Feel Fine

Yesterday

I Wanna Be Your Man

Nowhere Man

Paperback Writer

Long Tall Sally

I'm guessing each show clocked in around 30 minutes. Such a strange set list - they opened and closed with covers. George got one song, 

Yeah its wild they would usually do two shows a day too. I think their longest setlist not counting when they performed on the roof top was 14 songs so what maybe 45 minutes! less than a normal openers these days. I also find it funny how now McCartney plays three hours! Ha ha yeah Baby's in Black is a doozy!

• 3 weeks later...

The Cavern Club August 3, 1963 Acoustic too! Wow I didn't know that one was around that long!

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/the-beatles-23d6a88b.html

Wow, it really does date back to there, in some form.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/when-im-sixty-four/

McCartney used to perform a variation of the song in their Cavern Club era, on piano, when the group's equipment used to stop working.

"When I'm Sixty-Four was something Paul wrote in the Cavern days. We just stuck a few more words on it like 'grandchildren on your knee' and 'Vera, Chuck and Dave'. It was just one of those ones that he'd had, that we've all got, really; half a song. And this was just one that was quite a hit with us. We used to do them when the amps broke down, just sing it on the piano." John Lennon, Anthology

• 3 months later...

THE BEATLES CELEBRATE ‘SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND’ WITH SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITION RELEASES

Preorder Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band Anniversary Edition:http://TheBeatles.lnk.to/SgtPepperAnniversary

Watch a brief trailer video for Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band Anniversary Edition:

https://TheBeatles.lnk.to/SgtPepperAnniversaryTrailer

‘Sgt. Pepper’ with New Mixes in Stereo and 5.1 Surround Audio; Expanded with Previously Unreleased Session Recordings, Video Features & Special Packaging.

Previously Unreleased 1992 Documentary Film, ‘The Making of Sgt. Pepper,’ Restored for Anniversary Edition’s Super Deluxe Boxed Set

The Beatles will release a suite of lavishly presented ‘Sgt. Pepper’ Anniversary Edition packages on May 26. The album is newly mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell in stereo and 5.1 surround audio and expanded with early takes from the studio sessions, including no fewer than 34 previously unreleased recordings.

“It’s crazy to think that 50 years later we are looking back on this project with such fondness and a little bit of amazement at how four guys, a great producer and his engineers could make such a lasting piece of art” - Paul

For Record Store Day on April 22, Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe will release an exclusive, limited edition seven-inch vinyl single of The Beatles’ “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane,” among the first songs recorded during the ‘Sgt. Pepper’ sessions, which began in November 1966. 

READ MORE: http://thebeatles.com

I would be interested in the below - but, of course, it's only part of the super deluxe. I am assuming at some point they will sell it as a stand alone.

I am happy with the mono and stereo release of this record that they put out a bit ago, as part of the box sets. They should include the mono in one of these sets, too. I don't think they ever release it on cd, as a stand alone. I could be wrong about that, though.

Discs 5 & 6 (Blu-ray and DVD):
New 5.1 surround audio mixes of the album and “Penny Lane” by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, plus their 2015 5.1 surround mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever”.
High resolution audio versions of the new stereo mixes of the album and “Penny Lane” and of the 2015 stereo mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever”.
Video features: 4K restored original promotional films for “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Penny Lane,” and “A Day In The Life;” plus The Making of Sgt. Pepper, a restored, previously unreleased documentary film broadcast in 1992, featuring insightful interviews with McCartney, Harrison, and Starr, and in-studio footage introduced by George Martin.