the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul just confirmed the White Album 50th anniversary release:

And there's links to his two new songs, released today. Meh...

http://diymag.com/2018/06/20/paul-mccartney-exclusive-interview-new-album-egypt-station

He's 76 years old.

He's 76 years old and still making records of new material.

He's 76 years old, still making records, and plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long.

He's 76 years old, still making records, plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long, and he collaborates with Kanye.

He's 76 years old, still making records, plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long, collaborates with Kanye, he makes records with Youth, composes classical music, records standards (as a side job...not as his main job), and he is cooler than any other fucking 76 years old on the face of the planet.

He's 76 years old.

He's 76 years old and still making records of new material.

He's 76 years old, still making records, and plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long.

He's 76 years old, still making records, plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long, and he collaborates with Kanye.

He's 76 years old, still making records, plays concerts that are often over 2 hours long, collaborates with Kanye, he makes records with Youth, composes classical music, records standards (as a side job...not as his main job), and he is cooler than any other fucking 76 years old on the face of the planet.

All of this. Yes.

I just found this today, thanks to a Rolling Stone link to an article about it. 

I swore I wouldn't indulge in another McCartney show, after having seen him four times in my life...all since 2010. I wanted to make sure that the last time I ever saw him live, it wasn't too poignant. But the first thing I did after I finished watching that clip was look to see if there were any tour dates. (There aren't.) I may have to go again, if given the chance. Either way, I feel like every Paul show I've seen has been a gift.

All of this. Yes.

I just found this today, thanks to a Rolling Stone link to an article about it.

I swore I wouldn't indulge in another McCartney show, after having seen him four times in my life...all since 2010. I wanted to make sure that the last time I ever saw him live, it wasn't too poignant. But the first thing I did after I finished watching that clip was look to see if there were any tour dates. (There aren't.) I may have to go again, if given the chance. Either way, I feel like every Paul show I've seen has been a gift.

Just saw him a few months ago. 38 song set 3 hours plus he doesn’t take any breaks! Unbelievable! I’ll go every time he swings through and I’m not even a huge Beatles fan!

• 2 months later...

Been really enjoying some of the recent events in the publicity drive for the new album - now the Grand Central Station concert is on youtube in full and also the LIPA conversation with Jarvis Cocker. Just saying for any big fans like me who weren’t necessarily following events too closely - just stumbled upon them myself.

The 50th anniversary edition of The Beatles (White Album) is now officially available for pre-order. The Beatlemaniac in me will likely enjoy poring over the bonus material, but the Beatlemaniac in me is really disappointed the fabled 20+ minute take of “Helter Skelter” isn’t being included.

https://thebeatlesstore.com/

Is it just coincidence that along with all the Paul stuff in the news the clip from the Imagine re-release happens to be How Do You Sleep? 

They all seemed completely bored in that footage. It was cool to see Nicky Hopkins play the Wurlitzer --- at least I think it was a Wurlitzer. Harrison's tone was great, too --- though it too seemed a little uninspired. 

The 50th anniversary edition of The Beatles (White Album) is now officially available for pre-order. The Beatlemaniac in me will likely enjoy poring over the bonus material, but the Beatlemaniac in me is really disappointed the fabled 20+ minute take of “Helter Skelter” isn’t being included.

https://thebeatlesstore.com/

According to the Rolling Stone article, there's a 13-minute take of Helter Skelter - so that's pretty good, right?  :D

$180 for super deluxe edition on Amazon. Like the forthcoming Dylan box, seems excessive for 6 cd's and a book. $75 seems more in the ballpark. But will be hard to pass up I suppose. 

The Amazon price just dropped to $145. If you pre-order, Amazon guarantees the lowest price hit during the pre-sale period. 

It's crazy that the 3 CD version (white album + complete Esher demos) is only $25, but you add the book and 3 CDs of additional session stuff, and the price jumps up $120. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that the 50th Anniversary multi-CD set for Electric Ladyland is going to be released on the same day as the White Album stuff. 

Original release dates:

Electric Ladyland: Oct 16, 1968

White Album: Nov 22, 1968 - The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society came out the same day. (which has its own big vinyl box set coming out on Oct 26)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone wants a dropbox link to the 50th Anniversary White Album, plus the Esher demos (formatted in Apple Lossless for iTunes), drop me a note.

Worth it for the strings in Glass Onion alone. 

Is this offer still open? I'd love it ...

I saw Rob Sheffield read/talk last night about his book on the Beatles.  He raved about the 50th anniversary edition - though it sounds like he got to listen to it at Abbey Road Studios with Giles Martin (which would have been incredible).  

• 1 month later...

$180 for super deluxe edition on Amazon. Like the forthcoming Dylan box, seems excessive for 6 cd's and a book. $75 seems more in the ballpark. But will be hard to pass up I suppose. 

Finally got it from the library - it really is a nice looking set. Starting with Disc 4, which is studio rehearsals/takes and such. Revolution Take 18 is quite the trip. Enjoy take 2 of Helter Skelter, also. 

Looking forward to hearing the Blu-ray - which probably will be tomorrow.

I have had the Esher Demos for a long while - I have not listened to them in a long while, though - guessing, I must have not have gotten much out of it, before. 

I can't imagine the Stones ever putting out a set like this. I am not sure which record they would even consider doing it for.

Yeah - those sets are nothing like this White Album collection or like the Peppers' one. 

It still might be a rights thing with the Stones -- the whole ABKCO catalog. 

There is plenty of material in the ABKCO vault to do a proper Satanic release like the White Album/Pepper release - though I am not sure how well it would sell...I am not sure about the material for Beggers and Let it Bleed.

Yeah some of it is interesting, too - I would support a proper release of the Satanic stuff --- in the the giant book that comes with it, like the White Album release - Keith can write a piece trashing both the Satanic release and Peppers for good measure...

• 4 weeks later...

I guess we may see a mew release of Let It Be after all.

The Beatles

34 mins · 

New Film Project
We are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson

The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969. These studio sessions produced The Beatles’ Grammy Award winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award winning title song. The album was eventually released 18 months later in May 1970, several months after the band had broken up.

The filming was originally intended for a planned TV special, but organically turned into something completely different, climaxing with The Beatles’ legendary performance on the roof of Apple's Savile Row London office — which took place exactly 50 years ago today.

Peter Jackson said, "The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us, ensures this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about."

“I was relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth,” continues Jackson, “it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate”.

"I’m thrilled and honoured to have been entrusted with this remarkable footage - making the movie will be a sheer joy.”