the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that they have never released all of the fan club Christmas singles on a CD.

I have seen it up online, but I have never listened to any of it.

Seems like they would want their hand in Christmas as well.

Even if it wasn't that great, they could release it as a low priced CD.

I was thinking about that the other day. I bet it will come out officially someday.  I read an interview somewhere with someone who worked on the recent BBC release who hinted there were more releases to come in 2014.

I really like McCartney. Not only his music but the man. I got a kick out of the entire thing. He is arguably one of the most famous people in the world but is sitting in the cheap seats. If I found myself sitting next to him, it would be difficult to not talk to him the entire time. If I somehow had tickets to some fancy deal and was seated next to him, not so much, but if he was in "the common man's domain", I think that I'd feel as though the rules were different. I wonder how much the guy next to him engaged him in conversation?

When I saw him in May, not only was it an excellent show, but it was clear that he was having a great time singing and playing.

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this today. Good stuff, including George's It Don't Come Easy "guide vocal" take for Ringo (I think).

He managed to throw some Hare Krishnas on the guide vocal!  I know Starr wrote that song but he must have had a lot of help from George.  Those great guitar arpeggios are all Harrison.

Very cool, thanks for posting that.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This guy (from Billboard) forgot the Dick Clark produced film Birth of The Beatles (1979):

News leaked June 13 that NBC has a team developing an eight-part mini-series on The Beatles. At the outset, it has two big challenges: no music rights and a competing project at Sony Pictures Television.

Marty Bandier, chairman/CEO of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, publisher of all but six of John Lennon and Paul McCartney's Beatles compositions, says he has long pursued a Beatles TV show with the intention of it running on a pay cable outlet like HBO or Showtime.

"About six months ago, we were working with Sony Pictures TV on a show centered around the journey of the Beatles, and at one point we were talking about working with Baz Luhrmann," says Bandier, noting Sony/ATV hasn't been approached by NBC. "We hadn't taken the next step, which is to reach out to the Beatles. The proposal is still on the table."

NBC has not secured likeness rights from McCartney, Ringo Starr or the estates of Lennon and George Harrison, a source says. "NBC couldn't produce a show without the songs, and we can't produce a show without approaching the Beatles for their likeness rights," says Bandier. (Sony Pictures TV declined comment. Executives familiar with the NBC project say the news report was premature). Filmmakers who have tackled elements of the Beatles story have done so by focusing on their early years: Nowhere Boy, released in 2009, covered Lennon's life from childhood to the formation of the Beatles and included two obscure Fab Four songs. Backbeat, a 1994 film, focused on their time in Hamburg, Germany, when they played all covers. Two of Us, a VH1 film based on a Lennon-McCartney meeting in 1976, had no Beatles music in it.

Using the band's songs is always expensive: Steve Van Zandt cut a deal for David Chase's 2012 film Not Fade Away and got four non-Sony/ATV-published Beatles master recordings for about $250,000 apiece.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone bought the new McCartney/Wings at Best Buy this week?

Their ad talks about 'vinyl singles.'

Called up the local store and they had no idea. Tried to tell me it was a download. Nope.

E-mailed BB through their website. The response leads me to believe that it was outsourced to a foreign country - response didn't really make sense.

Briefly saw on Hoffman forum that you might have to pay to have the singles shipped to you?

I've never heard of that - paying more somewhere just to get the opportunity to pay to get something shipped to you. Anyone know?

I can tell you from experience that sometimes you can walk in there and find what you are looking for on a table somewhere. That has happened to me more than once. Even after the people working there told me they didn't know what I was talking about or that they did not have the item in question.