UIC Night 2

Lance B -

Not to say you are in the wrong, but you need to realize how territorial some Wilco fans truly are. Hell, look at the fact that there is this message board to discuss such earth-shattering topics such as "Wilco Heard While Being Out" and "What actor would play Tweedy in Wilco(the Movie)" Many people, especially Chicagoans (using that term lightly), feel that it is their right to be up front. If they cannot be close enough to sing along with Jeff and John, were they might notice, then they might as well not even be there. Now waiting in line for 8 hrs for anything (maybe Cancer-curing shots) is absolutely crazy to me, they have somewhat "earned" these spots. I was up top on Sunday and had GA last night, but it wasn't enjoyable down there so I headed upstairs to the left and had a great view the entire show. My advice to you is stay out of the Lion's Den and find a spot where you can see and hear the band. Who cares if Sansone sweats on you or Tweedy hears your obnoxious request.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just want to point out that something serious was mentioned and apparently lost during this profoundly important discussion. Drunk Pink Lady, who, if memory serves, was a semi-famous Suzi Quatro groupie back in the day, may have been an embarrassment to herself what with the caressing and all but she tried to remind us how amazing the 'Lincoln Avenue' songs are. Will they ever grace a live show again?

Please can I use the bathroom?

wear diapers..real Wilco fans do. yes.gif

Kidsmoke, you gotta admit the Crossroads was way over booked & much too close for comfort. Really pissed me off. I had to fight off ninja drunks to get back to my spot during that show...even after they saw me go by once or twice. I had to pee pee for like the last hour & it really hurtermm.gif ...I always let pee pee/beer runs back in their space, but not cutters.

when we made it to about the 3rd row, we received dirty looks from everyone around us... by about 10 angry Wilco fans...at least 20 people yelling at us telling us to leave.

So are you daft? Have trouble with social cues? Or like a teenager or what?

this is the reason i dont stand in the crowd anymore when there are seats available. too much shitty politics, territorial issues, etc....i respect that fact that people waited to get a good spot. i used to do that back in the day when wilco played in bars and to get a good spot you had to wait outside in line to get upclose. and yeah i guess i got a little pissed when someone weaseled up but it was usually a really drunk disrespectful person.

it seems like people who are "true fans" (define that anyway you want) feel that the show is "theirs" so they dont want anyone interrupting it. i get that notion but i let that feeling go a long time ago because for example there will still be that guy who will scream out during a quiet moment in a solo Tweedy acoustic show. people will always do stupid shit. so i let go of wanting to create a perfect concert setting.

therefore, i sacrificed being close to the stage and having that experience to sitting in seats and not dealing with the politics. im sure one day though at the right venue, i'll try to get up close again. i sort of miss it.

I just want to point out that something serious was mentioned and apparently lost during this profoundly important discussion. Drunk Pink Lady, who, if memory serves, was a semi-famous Suzi Quatro groupie back in the day, may have been an embarrassment to herself what with the caressing and all but she tried to remind us how amazing the 'Lincoln Avenue' songs are. Will they ever grace a live show again?

hahah.. it was all a bit creepy, like a scene in a David Lynch movie. I half expected Drunk Pink to tell me she was in my house right now and hand me a phone and have me call her there.

one last thought, im sorry to Lance Briggs that you and your friends had this experience at the show. it is truly sad.

and i hope that the fans don't ruin the live experience of Wilco. After reading show reviews and reading that Jeff has "scolded" fans for videotaping or taking photos, it seems at times things get out of control, these episodes are created by people who are disrespectful and selfish.

Most Wilco shows i have attended have been a pure blast, there have been minor distractions, but nothing like Lance Briggs experienced. i dont think it occurs all too often.

So are you daft? Have trouble with social cues? Or like a teenager or what?

no a 22 y/o who has obviously been to alot more shows in my life than anyone else here. this argument is getting stale, but I just can't believe some people actually convince themselves that they are bigger fans just because they wait outside a show for 8+ hrs. I hate to compare the phish scene to wilco, because its not fair to phish, but I drove 15 hours to virginia to see all 3 of the phish reunion shows last spring which were all GA. people were offering $900 per ticket to get in the first night. I waited outside the gates for about 2 hrs so i could get a decent spot. I ended up about 3 rows from the center of the stage. by the time phish actually went on, i was about 8 rows back because as the place filled in, people would make their way forward. Not once did i hear a single person bitch because of people pushing their way forward, including myself. everyone was so happy to be in that room sharing the experience, that it just didn't matter if others' were cramming your space. my point is that there is nothing any of you can say to convince me that I was out of line and everyone else was right just because they waited in line longer. my ticket was the same as everyone else's, when you go to a show, you make accommodations for people. had i waited 8 hrs to get into the show (which you couldn't pay me to do), I still wouldn't give a shit if other people made their way to where i was, I guess because thats the type of person i am.

and I just want to say, by no means did that experience reflect on my opinion of the band or the show itself. I think Wilco is a brilliant group, and last night's show was great. however im not sure if I would bother going to see them again in a GA environment.

no a 22 y/o who has obviously been to alot more shows in my life than anyone else here. this argument is getting stale, but I just can't believe some people actually convince themselves that they are bigger fans just because they wait outside a show for 8+ hrs. I hate to compare the phish scene to wilco, because its not fair to phish, but I drove 15 hours to virginia to see all 3 of the phish reunion shows last spring which were all GA. people were offering $900 per ticket to get in the first night. I waited outside the gates for about 2 hrs so i could get a decent spot. I ended up about 3 rows from the center of the stage. by the time phish actually went on, i was about 8 rows back because as the place filled in, people would make their way forward. Not once did i hear a single person bitch because of people pushing their way forward, including myself. everyone was so happy to be in that room sharing the experience, that it just didn't matter if others' were cramming your space. my point is that there is nothing any of you can say to convince me that I was out of line and everyone else was right just because they waited in line longer. my ticket was the same as everyone else's, when you go to a show, you make accommodations for people. had i waited 8 hrs to get into the show (which you couldn't pay me to do), I still wouldn't give a shit if other people made their way to where i was, I guess because thats the type of person i am.

Clearly, you have not been to a lot more shows in your life than any one here.

It's not about who are bigger fans. That's a stinky red herring in your argument.

A GA show is first come first served.

That's a pretty straight forward concept regardless the situation. It's protocol. You come early, you get the best spot. You come the middle of the opener's set you might...you might not. That's the chance YOU take.

You're gonna cry foul and whine about a group of folks who were clearly there before you? Please. You need to get a grip.

This has to be a bit. :yay

no a 22 y/o who has obviously been to alot more shows in my life than anyone else here....

Obviously.

Look man. You started this thread in the fist place. What did you expect to hear from us? Those people that were yelling at you when you snuck your way to the front are probably members of this very board. Of course you are going to get a negative reaction from us. Also please don't compare us to Phish fans. I really don't like that band, and many of those loyal fans you were at that show with were probably tripping balls. Just sayin'.

I drove 3 hours in shitty traffic from Michigan to wait in line for 2 hours before the doors opened, and I got a great spot in front of Jeff (and met some awesome new Wilco friends to boot!) Of course I would get annoyed or even mad if you squeezed right in front of me expecting me to not care. Maybe you stepped between my and my girlfriend or other friends that I wanted to enjoy the show with and share enthusiasm with?

If you were standing right in front of the barrier in front of the stage and someone pushed you back and took your up front spot, wouldn't you be upset? It's kinda the same for those other people because their spot is the best they could get.

That's all I have to say besides the fact that you need to work on making your posts look like cohesive statements with punctuation, capitalization, and paragraphs. People will take you more seriously that way!

no a 22 y/o who has obviously been to alot more shows in my life than anyone else here.

Also please tell me how many shows you've gone to, because I'm really curious. I've been to a lot, too, and I want to know what kind of number you're talking about.

Also please tell me how many shows you've gone to, because I'm really curious. I've been to a lot, too, and I want to know what kind of number you're talking about.

hundreds and hundreds. i have no idea how many exactly, but im sure not nearly as many as you. I apologize for my poor use of grammar, next time i'll take my message board comments to the writing center before i post them.

I mean, that guy Paul has been to at least 10 concerts, right?

:lol (with nothing but love for Paul!)