Tyler quits Aerosmith?

Guest Speed Racer

AP totally blew the fucking headline. That pisses me off the most about this. It should read: Aerosmith's vacation isn't permanent; Tyler back in the saddle again for European tour. Damn Generation suX. :rolleyes

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Funny Aerosmith-related story on boston.com.

A few weeks ago, we told you a funny story about the time, back in 1993, when actor Bradley Whitford - he of "The West Wing" and the new cop show "The Good Guys" - cashed a $500 check that was intended for Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford. (The dough was remuneration for the ax man's not-so-Oscar-worthy performance in "Wayne's World 2.") Whitford, the actor, told us he regretted cashing the check and said he would happily return the money now that his bank account is a bit healthier. "If you know how to get in touch with him," Whitford said, "I'd love to send him $500." Well, we know. This week, Joyce Whitford, the 85-year-old mother of rock star Brad Whitford, rang us up after reading the item. She gave us her son's P.O. Box number in North Carolina, and asked that we forward it to the other Bradley Whitford. "I got a kick out of him saying he'd like to settle this," said Joyce, who lives in Plymouth. "I'm sure my Brad would appreciate it, too. Why not give him the address and see what he does?" She swore that her son, who's currently on tour in South America, did not know she was calling us. "At the time, I'm sure Brad could have used that money, too."

• 3 months later...

I think they should hang it up, and not get some guy who is going to copy Steven. I sort of hoped those god awful Idol shows were on their way out, but I guess they are not.

Steven Tyler's 'Idol' Gig Means Aerosmith May Take A Permanent Vacation

The drama surrounding the ever-revolving "American Idol" judges' table continues this week, with the confirmation of persistent rumors that Kara DioGuardi has indeed "resigned" and won't return for Season 10, and Variety reporting that Fox will formally announce the new judging panel in just a few days. Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler will, according to many reputable sources, be on that panel, along with old standby Randy Jackson. And that is where some fresh drama comes in--because Steven's on/off bandmate, Joe Perry, is clearly none too pleased about Steven's new day job.

"['American Idol'] is a reality show designed to get people to watch that station and sell advertising. It's one step above [Teenage Mutant] Ninja Turtles," a disgruntled Joe recently told the Calgary Herald. "I'll tell you one thing, when we put this band together, this is not something that [steven] would do. It's his business, but I don't want Aerosmith's name involved with it. We have nothing to do with it."

Ouch. With stinging, outspoken criticisms like that, Joe himself would probably be a great "Idol" judge. Not that he'd ever accept a job like that, obviously. (He probably already hated "Idol" for its many manglings of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing," or for Danny Gokey's screechy "Dream On" alone.) And apparently, Steven's acceptance of the "Idol" job came as a surprise to Joe and the rest of Aerosmith, which is probably the real explanation why Joe is so peeved.

"[Aerosmith] sat down not too long ago, when we decided to do this [current 'Cocked, Locked, Ready To Rock'] tour, and we basically laid out plans for the next two years," Joe explained. "And when you're sitting there talking about that and one of the band members knows full well he's signed a contract that's taking him out of the music business for up to seven months of the year--that kind of throws a wrench into things. It's all very well to say, 'I'm going to go off and do this and it won't interfere with the band'...but there's only so many weeks in the month and so many months in the year."

So now, according to Joe, Steven's new "Idol" gig means future Aerosmith gigs may be few and far between. Or the band as we know it may finally call it quits, after years of infighting that has escalated in recent months. See, this is hardly the first time the Toxic Twins have toxically battled in the press. Last year, while the band was on hiatus while Steven recuperated from onstage fall and spent some time in rehab, the band seemed for all purposes broken up, with Joe actually threatening to replace Steven with a new singer. That proposal seemed as ridiculous, and was met with just as much public disdain, as Led Zeppelin's surviving members' onetime short-lived scheme to tour with a Robert Plant stand-in. But that doesn't mean that Joe's still not considering hiring a new 'Smith frontman, now that Steven will be pretty busy for the next couple of years.

"I'm not going to sit around for two years waiting for him to come back to Aerosmith," Joe told the Calgary Herald. "[You've got] four guys that are great together, and if you find the right singer, there's no reason you can't go and entertain people."

Honestly, I don't think Steve Tyler can be replaced in Aerosmith, any more than Simon Cowell can really be replaced on "American Idol." And while I do understand why Steven took the "Idol" job--at age 62, with a recent history of health problems, Steven can't perform and tour forever, and this show could mean a whole new career for the crazy, charismatic rocker--if it's true that Aerosmith were blindsided by Steven's decision to sign on with "Idol," thus thwarting the band's future touring and recording plans, then I totally understand Joe's bitterness.

All I can say is, get your Aerosmith tickets while you still can. "Technically speaking, after our gig in Vancouver [on September 16], I don't have a job with Aerosmith," Joe lamented. "We know these are the last shows for a while. And I really do mean a while. I don't know when we'll be out there again, the five of us, so we'll be playing with everything we've got."

"['American Idol'] is a reality show designed to get people to watch that station and sell advertising. It's one step above [Teenage Mutant] Ninja Turtles," a disgruntled Joe recently told the Calgary Herald. "I'll tell you one thing, when we put this band together, this is not something that [steven] would do. It's his business, but I don't want Aerosmith's name involved with it. We have nothing to do with it."

After the shite that Aerosmith has churned out over the past twenty years, and the way Aerosmith have allowed their music to be used to sell movies, cars, and god knows what else, I find this quote completely hilarious.

Guest Speed Racer

I find this quote completely hilarious.

Me too! Armageddon? Mrs. Doubtfire? Dodge? Cadillac? Nothing to do with entertaining people or advertising!

Regardless of whether they tour, whether Steven does Idol, I'd be really surprised if they ever put out a proper album again.

And since when is Wayne's World higher art than Ninja Turtles...?

Guest Speed Racer

Wow, really? I can't really stand Permanent Vacation on account of the production (and Simoriah, and Heart's Done Time, and the line "I really need a sand toupe" - what a waste to an amazing riff - and I'm Down. So, there's that too). Pump was pretty awesome, though.

And I'll always have a soft spot for Nine Lives, as it was not only my first Aerosmith album but also as Falling In Love (Is Hard on the Knees) was my first song/music video obsession as a pre-teen.

Wow, really? I can't really stand Permanent Vacation on account of the production (and Simoriah, and Heart's Done Time, and the line "I really need a sand toupe" - what a waste to an amazing riff - and I'm Down. So, there's that too).

You may be joking, but just so the non Aerosmith fans reading this thread know, the line is "really need St Tropez" which works well with the song Permanent Vacation.

Not great production on that album.

Guest Speed Racer

Ha! I did not know that, but I still think that part of the song is a terrible punchline to the awesome riff that opens the track. That could have gone a lot of places, but it ended up in Shitsville.

i was just last week re-listening to the post pump catalog - and honestly - if you leave off a couple of Tyler's schlockier tunes, nine lives and just push play are two pretty strong records.

I agree that Nine Lives is actually a pretty good album. Jush Push Play I can live without. As a result of this thread I also went back and re-visited Pump and Permanent Vacation, both of which are really great records.

Wow, really? I can't really stand Permanent Vacation on account of the production

Last night I was watching a little of VH1's GREATEST ARTISTS EVER!!!! and Aerosmith was one of them. You can really tell a difference production-wise between the earlier tracks they played and the Permanent Vacation track (Love in an Elevator, I think it was). I had never considered production as a reason why those songs were a little goofy. I just assumed they were goofy songs. But hearing snippets of various songs from different eras in a VH1 style montage really made the tragic production of Permanent Vacation obvious, while highlighting how utterly badass Walk This Way is.

Pump is better than Permanent Vacation to me. A good sample set is the ballads: Angel is goofy where What It Takes is sublime.

Maybe I oughta check out Nine Lives after reading these posts, but it'd probably take time away from when I could be listening to Live Bootleg.

The one I never picked up was 'done with mirrors'. I think it has 'Let The Music Do The Talking' on it but is there anything else worth hearing on that record. The cover art was shocking aswell if I recall.

Also, as Sir Stewart mentions, 'Live Bootleg' is worthy of attention. That is a great live album, especially side four which rocks.

We wore out Live Bootleg growing up. I remember staring at those pictures of the band for hours while listening to that. I thought Joe Perry was just about the coolest thing around with that red B.C. Rich guitar he played.

Done with Mirrors is terrible. Don't waste your time listening to that. Aerosmith albums worthy of your time (in order)

Rocks (1976)

Toys (1975)

Pump (1989)

Aerosmith (1972)

Get Your Wings (1974)

then maybe if you really have free time

Get a Grip (1993)

Night in the Ruts (1979)

Nine Lives (1997)