• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Alligator. It's their best album IMO and probably the best entry point. After that, go with High Violet.

Some people do find Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me to be too "same-y" sounding (for lack of a better way to put it), and if that was your initial hesitation about the band, I would start with those others.

I love all of them, though.

I would say Alligator. It's their best album IMO and probably the best entry point. After that, go with High Violet.

Some people do find Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me to be too "same-y" sounding (for lack of a better way to put it), and if that was your initial hesitation about the band, I would start with those others.

I love all of them, though.

When Boxer came out, I was all about it.  It was when The National clicked with me.  Over the years, I've come to appreciate the brilliance of Alligator and I think it is the quintessential National record.  It's a great entry point not only because it is a great record, but it also is the ultimate litmus test as to whether or not The National is for you.

Boxer was the album that got me. Specifically the song "Mistaken for Strangers," which is still a favorite. I find myself listening to High Violet and their latest, Trouble Will Find Me, the most. They are definitely one of the better rock bands I've ever seen. The Dessner brothers are a lot of fun to watch, and Matt's a total lunatic when he gets into it (or when he's into the white wine).

Alligator was my entry point, and the one that made me an instant fan. With this band I find each new release becomes my favorite for a while. Trouble Will Find Me really grew on me with repeat listens, and probably ended up being my most listened to record of 2013. I'm already looking forward to a new one, which judging by their current rate of speed will probably be in 2016.

I wish that I had some money to burn: http://www.alotofsorrow.com/

9LB box set of "Sorrow" over and over again.

As much as I love The National, and Sorrow, I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music again, than 6 hours of the same song: which I'm guessing is akin to listening to the complete Nickelback discography.

Glad to see the proceeds from the box set are going to charity at least.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

http://youtu.be/1Ai8pIvdkLE

This came up in my YouTube recommendations last night, so I listened to the whole show on my way home from A Ghost Story. The mix isn't the best for a webcast, but they played a lot from Sleep Well Beast. It sounds like we're in for a treat this Friday.

I wanted to post this here because I think that the title track sounds a lot like Wilco's Not For The Season circa 2003 mixed in with some early 2000s Radiohead.

• 1 year later...

I’m catching them at the beacon theatrer I’m excited but wow was it expensive!! Haven’t seen them since I saw them open for Bloc Party probably back in 2011?!

That'll be fun! Boston tix were nearly impossible when they came through on the last album cycle, and so I ended up not going.

I wish I liked the new single more... Not sure I'm a big fan of the direction they've been headed in, but they do put on a great live show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blink & you'll miss it, but The National just added a Boston date at the Agganis Arena on October 24.

Tickets onsale this Friday.

Any of my fellow Boston peeps see this today? I only found out by hitting up their website after their 3rd single/video premiered today. Hairpin Turns is the 3rd single, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

The National will be on Colbert tonight.

I watched the short film that Mike Mills (no not the REM guy) directed last night. I found it on YouTube. I think going into this record I assumed that it would be an album of mostly ballads. The 6 songs featured in the short film definitely fit the bill, but they all sounded amazing. This one should really split the fans, but I think it'll go down as a landmark album.

Blink & you'll miss it, but The National just added a Boston date at the Agganis Arena on October 24.

Tickets onsale this Friday.

Any of my fellow Boston peeps see this today? I only found out by hitting up their website after their 3rd single/video premiered today. Hairpin Turns is the 3rd single, btw.

I got an ad on FB about that show. Never seen a show at Agganis, but am generally not a fan of those arena shows. Going to see them up in Portland, ME this summer instead! 

I got an ad on FB about that show. Never seen a show at Agganis, but am generally not a fan of those arena shows. Going to see them up in Portland, ME this summer instead!

Agganis is like a Mine Me of the Boston Garden. There's no balcony section. Just loge. I've enjoyed every concert that I've seen there: Muse, Interpol, The White Stripes, The Cure etc. Not a bad seat really.

I'll be at the show in Portland. And I'm headed to Bull Moose later tonight to pick up the record.

New record is great, I listened to it last night and (some of it) on the way into work this morning. Matt's voice sounds great when mixed with the female harmony vocals. Over all I get a more positive hopeful vibe from this album than Sleep Well Beast. 

I will say, it's a good example of an album that could probably lose a few songs. Not that anything sticks out as a bad song, but when it was over, I didn't want to put on side A again, which is not the case for a shorter more concise album like Boxer.