from this month's Uncut, there's a brief interview w/ Aaron, new album is due in May:

The National

Title: TBC

Label: Beggars Banquet

Release Date: May 2010

The band «push things to epic places» on the follow-up to 2007 breakthrough Boxer.

«We've been working on a National record since last Winter and non stop since April when we haven't had shows to do. We built a recording studio in our garage. It's quite a shock because it all looks terrible from the outside but very modern on the inside. As a band we're constantly making things then destroying them and redoing them. Normally that's difficult to do in a studio you're paying for. But now we can do that ad nauseam without worrying about getting penalized. We've recorded 17 songs and we'll end up wittling them down from there. The new album is much more ambitious than anything we've ever done. We've never pushed things to an epic place before because it's never felt quite right. But there are a few songs on this record that do that: songs with bigger dynamic that lend themselves more to the way we play live.

There's more experimentation too. We're getting away from simple, organic sounds. Matt's also singing on this one, rather than murmuring. His range has improved, exploring ways in which his voice can work, but he's also found some melodies that are just amazing. He's really singing it out and going to places on this one. Boxer was more meditative but this one goes to different levels. It's definitely more dynamic. One of the new songs is called Crumhorn, which I took from a Bob Dylan lyric, but Matt will probably change the title at some point. There are also ones called Bloodbuzz, Vanderlyle and Runaway. We have some ideas for album titles, but haven't decided yet».

:D

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some tour dates:

MARCH

26-28 MARCH: KNOXVILLE, TN - BIG EARS FESTIVAL 2010 / TENNESSEE THEATRE // Tickets

APRIL

22 APRIL: RICHMOND, VA - THE NATIONAL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

23 APRIL: RICHMOND, VA - THE NATIONAL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

MAY

06 MAY: LONDON, UK - ROYAL ALBERT HALL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

07 MAY: PARIS, FRANCE - LE ZENITH w/ PAVEMENT // FNAC / Digitick

09 MAY: BERLIN, GERMANY - ASTRA // Pre-Sale Tickets**

22 MAY: LOS ANGELES, CA - THE WILTERN // Pre-Sale Tickets**

23 MAY: SAN DIEGO, CA - SPRECKELS THEATRE // Pre-Sale Tickets**

27 MAY: OAKLAND, CA - FOX THEATRE // Pre-Sale Tickets**

JUNE

02 JUNE: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES // Pre-Sale Tickets**

05 JUNE: PHILADELPHIA, PA - ELECTRIC FACTORY // Pre-Sale Tickets**

06 JUNE: WASHINGTON, DC - DAR CONSTITUTION HALL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

08 JUNE: TORONTO, CANADA - MASSEY HALL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

16 JUNE: NEW YORK, NY - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL // Pre-Sale Tickets**

A friend of mine (ha ha ha) is actually interning at the studio in CT where they're currently mixing the album. I was actually surprised that they were planning on releasing it this soon since, as far as my knowledge goes, they're still mixing, retracking, and doing overdubs, let alone mastering and doing artwork. I've heard it's going to be pretty good though!

• 3 weeks later...

due May 11th

http://www.rollingst...ow-up-to-boxer/

In the Studio: The National Get Loud on Follow-Up to “Boxer”

2/16/10, 2:43 pm EST

Photograph by Sylvere H.

When Brooklyn baroque-pop group the National released Boxer in 2007, it was a left-field critical and commercial success that helped them score them an opening slot for R.E.M. Even Barack Obama used the stately piano ballad “Fake Empire” on his campaign trail the following year.

Three years later, the National are putting the finishing touches on their anticipated follow-up, logging marathon days mixing tracks at a studio in Bridgeport, Connecticut. “We’re finishing all the songs in this sort of run-down Victorian house,” says guitarist Aaron Dessner. “The mixing is really important part of the process — we tend to really edit ourselves heavily.” Dessner says the still-untitled album (due May 11th) has “a darker and meaner” vibe than previous efforts but that it is also “catchier and more of a pop record,” referring to tracks like propulsive guitar-powered rocker “Blood Buzz, Ohio” and the orchestral anthem “L.A. Cathedral.” Berninger, who punctuates National songs with his transfixing, Leonard Cohen-style baritone, also returns to screaming in a similar manner as early National rockers like “Abel.” “Our last album was more restrained and this is definitely a louder record,” says Dessner.

Still, Boxer fans will find plenty to like too, especially on tracks like “Runaway.” “It’s the most understated, spacious song on the album,” says Dessner. “It’s the only one of its kind, as far as a ballad.” Other cuts, like “Little Space,” revolve around guitar loops and double bass. “That’s a new thing in our music,” says Dessner.

For the new record, the group also rallied a crew of their musician pals to contribute vocals, including Sufjan Stevens and Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon. “We never thought of it as getting special guest stars or anything,” says Dessner. “It’s more like our friends coming through for us.”

The National — Dessner and his brother Bryce; brothers Scott and Bryan Devendorf and Berninger — are perfectionists when it comes to recording in the studio and Aaron admits that bandmates don’t always agree creatively. “We’re really critical of ourselves,” he says. “And we spend a lot of time destroying and re-recording tracks.” Still, he knows that the hard work and frustration pays off. “We’re making huge strides every day,” he says. “We’re all about making the record better.”

:o :D

• 2 weeks later...

i hadn't been this excited for a late night performance in probably years, and my god did it deliver. the sound quality isn't great, but, i mean, if this is the lead-off track on the new album like fallon indeed says it its, then this is going to be a HELL of an album. which is good, because my expectations for this thing are beyond massive.

on the highviolet website, they've got a couple whiteboards with a couple different tracklists. so maybe they haven't decided yet?