• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallon seems to be getting all the good bands lately, or at least bands I'm not seeing anywhere else. Beach House, Joanna Newsom, Ted Leo, now this. Definitely gets me excited for the new album.

They already topped Boxer...with Alligator. :thumbup

I kinda love Alligator too since it was my introduction to 'em.

Fallon seems to be getting all the good bands lately

QFT.

Just watched the performance last night. And then I remembered I have tickets for 4/22&4/23 :yay !

Also, it's been mentioned before in other threads but bears repeating: Bryan Devendorf is a hell of a drummer.

overall album & cohesiveness-wise i definitely prefer Boxer to Alligator, but Alligator has higher highs (All The Wine (i realize it was released earlier but still), Secret Meeting, Abel, Mr. November, Baby We'll Be Fine, etc.), but Boxer is more consistent and has a much better overall flow & mood for me.

overall album & cohesiveness-wise i definitely prefer Boxer to Alligator, but Alligator has higher highs (All The Wine (i realize it was released earlier but still), Secret Meeting, Abel, Mr. November, Baby We'll Be Fine, etc.), but Boxer is more consistent and has a much better overall flow & mood for me.

"All the Wine" sucked me into The National. What a song! However, I agree with Solace. Boxer is an amazing piece of work. I'll take it a step further with my blasphemy and say their self-titled, debut album is better than Alligator.

Ok.

I think Alligator holds together album-wise much better. It runs through every range of emotion while maintaining the same intense vibe throughout with rocking anthems and contemplative slow-burners. Boxer feels a little monotonous in comparison. Plus, there isn't a mediocre song to be found on Alligator. Every single one ranks up there with their best. I think it's a masterpiece and one of my favorite albums of all time.

To each their own, I guess.

i like Looking For Astronauts, but never been a huge fan of Val Jester. had they replaced that song with 'Driver, Surprise Me' and replaced Astronauts with 'The Thrilling of Claire', Alligator would have been totally perfect for me.