• 2 months later...
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I assumed they were like Spoon, who I'm ambivalent about. What's a good National starting point?

I would start with Alligator. That's where I started, and it took me a few listens for it to finally sink in. But they're easily my current favorite band. Although High Violet might be their best.

Of course, I also love Spoon, so who knows?

I would start with Alligator. That's where I started, and it took me a few listens for it to finally sink in. But they're easily my current favorite band. Although High Violet might be their best.

Same here, on all counts--although I have mixed feelings about Spoon.

maybe uptight is the wrong word, I'm sure he's a goof offstage. I just find it hard to relax when seeing him onstage, there's a cold and intense vibe I get from him that I can't imagine working for Dead covers, but I'm looking forward to hearing it nonetheless

maybe uptight is the wrong word, I'm sure he's a goof offstage. I just find it hard to relax when seeing him onstage, there's a cold and intense vibe I get from him that I can't imagine working for Dead covers, but I'm looking forward to hearing it nonetheless

it's being curated by Aaron from the band i believe...

Did anyone catch their live streaming set from Coachella on Sunday night? I'm hoping that it turns up again at either youtube or somewhere else.

yeah, that was something else...

Justin Vernon joined for Terrible Love to close out the show

• 1 month later...

Point of trivia: I watched the most recent episode of the NBC run of Friday Night Lights tonight on the DVR, and was pleased to hear "Runaway" heavily featured in the closing scene. It reminded me, too, that the show also used "Start a War" earlier in the season (in the same episode that featured Son Volt's "When the Wheels Don't Move").

Listening for the soundtrack choices has always been one of the great pleasures of Friday Night Lights. Besides the numerous Wilco appearances in Season 2, I think my favorite was the Season 4 on-stage inclusion of Heartless Bastards in one scene.

Point of trivia: I watched the most recent episode of the NBC run of Friday Night Lights tonight on the DVR, and was pleased to hear "Runaway" heavily featured in the closing scene. It reminded me, too, that the show also used "Start a War" earlier in the season (in the same episode that featured Son Volt's "When the Wheels Don't Move").

These two songs have also been used in Parenthood, and my wife mentioned another series using music from The National, too. It usually fits very nicely.

Listening for the soundtrack choices has always been one of the great pleasures of Friday Night Lights. Besides the numerous Wilco appearances in Season 2, I think my favorite was the Season 4 on-stage inclusion of Heartless Bastards in one scene.

I have DirecTV, so I have seen the entire final season. In the series finale, they used an entire Delta Spirit song during a key scene. I watched this shortly after I had discovered Delta Spirit and was solidifying my huge crush on them. One of my favorite shows of all time ending and using that song at that moment was perfect for me. So much great music on FNL over the years. Very sad to see it end, but at least it went out before it started to go downhill. Definitely need to own the DVD's someday.

• 7 months later...

The National ‘wouldn’t have existed without REM’

The National’s Bryce Dessner has revealed that the band wouldn’t have formed without REM.

In the new issue of Uncut, in stores on January 31, the guitarist explains that the legacy of the Athens, Georgia band, especially the influence of singer Michael Stipe, has allowed groups like his to flourish.

“For American musicians especially,” he says, ”they opened up a door in terms of what they symbolised.

“They provided an alternative to the mainstream, especially Michael as a frontman. The National wouldn’t have existed if REM hadn’t."

Dessner goes on to reveal that his most treasured REM album is 1986’s 'Lifes Rich Pageant'.

For more of Bryce Dessner on the most important albums of his life, check out the new March issue of Uncut, out January 31.

http://www.uncut.net/the-national/the-national-wouldn-t-have-existed-without-rem-news

Speaking of The National and soundtracks, I've been hearing them pop up all over the place. Most recently, I heard them in the movie Win Win and also featured heavily in the opening and closing scenes of Warrior.

Speaking of The National and soundtracks, I've been hearing them pop up all over the place. Most recently, I heard them in the movie Win Win and also featured heavily in the opening and closing scenes of Warrior.

i think that i read that they wrote that song particularly for win win, which, in my opinion, is a great movie btw.

• 3 years later...

Okay, National fans, here comes a post that might upset you...but I am asking for enlightenment, not trying to be hypercritical of a band you like.

I checked out a bit of material from these guys a long time ago, and was nonplussed. What I heard was a guy who sounded like the dude from Crash Test Dummies, singing a boring, repetitive sounding song. I figured it was the newest, weirdest flavor of the month, had no staying power, and they would disappear in a year or two. Don't ask me if it was The Boxer or Alligator, I have no idea.

Here we are, several years later, and not only are they still around but also very well-respected, it seems. They apparently never got that Dead covers project out, but they have performed with Bob Weir and that is a plus in my book.

So where is a good entry point into their work?