Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Is anyone else out there having a hard time "letting go" of this experience? I spent all summer looking forward to it, absolutely revelled in the experience during, felt immensely sad when it was over, and haven't stopped hearing Wilco songs in my head during every waking moment since. I'd sort of hoped this would get some of the Wilco out of my system, as I'm a bit obsessive about this band. But, even a week later, there's "something in my veins, bloodier than blood." It's Wilco.

i feel the exact same way..only i didn't think i was gonna go until the last minute (day before) and i'm so glad i did. i too was really sad when it was over. when i try to explain the experience to people i can tell they really don't give a shit so i just stop explaining.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still glowing from this fest and finally got on here to comment on one of the funnest weekends ever, A Weekend with Wilco = (shiny) Happy People. Proud to be part of such an amazing community of folks.

Can't wait to "stand" in the place that we were...next year...hopefully.

Does anybody know what is on "Wilco Spins the 840" cd from the festival? I haven't broken the seal on it.

I've listened to it once, it sounds like the tracks the Numero Group were spinning Friday and Saturday evening...groovy fun :dancing

Does anybody know what is on "Wilco Spins the 840" cd from the festival? I haven't broken the seal on it.

First track is the first track on the Light on the South Side box that came out last year and I know one of the other songs from the Eccentric Soul release I have. I like all except the one female sung folk song but the rest of it is really good. I don't believe there's anything unreleased on it.

Is anyone else out there having a hard time "letting go" of this experience? I spent all summer looking forward to it, absolutely revelled in the experience during, felt immensely sad when it was over, and haven't stopped hearing Wilco songs in my head during every waking moment since. I'd sort of hoped this would get some of the Wilco out of my system, as I'm a bit obsessive about this band. But, even a week later, there's "something in my veins, bloodier than blood." It's Wilco.

Totally. Almost week and half later, and I'm still groovin from Solid Sound. These things usually cycle through the mind and blood system much quicker, but Solid Sound has staying power the likes of which I can't remember!

• 4 weeks later...

"We like Wilco a lot. We like that they're mining the future as much as we're mining the past. We like that we're Chicago boys. We like that our kids play with their kids. We like that they have an insane collection of guitars. And we like that they like records the way we like records. That is, we both capitol-L-Love records. So when the opportunity arose to introduce our audience to their audience at Wilco's Solid Sound Festival, we were all about that. We spin, they play, all is right with the world.But then we thought: what if we turned the turntables? What would Wilco spin if they could spin us? Idea: give each member of the band access to our entire catalog and ask them to pick a few of their favorite tracks. Here's the result: The Numero Group as seen through the ears of Wilco. Seventeen tracks from the over forty records we've compiled in the last seven years. From us, to you, and for free, yet. We have no plans to start a band, by the way." - Tom Lunt, Rob Sevier & Ken Shipley/The Numero Group

http://exileonmoanstreet.blogspot.com/2010/09/various-wilco-spins-numero-group-2010.html

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this from an interview with Nels in the Prague Post. Sure hope he wasn't misquoted!!

The band's European tour comes after this summer's Solid Sound Festival, which took place at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, Massachusetts. Wilco organized the festival and curated both the bands that played, such as Avi Buffalo and Deep Blue Organ Trio, and some of the art on display, including a visual and audio installation by Cline himself.

"It was an amazingly cool experience, though it was exhausting to play with Wilco and set up my installation. But it was successful and noninvasive enough that it's going to happen again next year," he says.

:rock

• 6 years later...

Nice, thanks for the reminder.

I preferred the August timing at first, something to look forward to all summer, but I now think June is much better.

ain't that the truth.

This popped up today on my feed as a Facebook memory. The August 2010 article in Berkshire Living that I linked to is no longer available, but I quoted a portion of it:

OK, I think this reviewer got it exactly right: “Beauty” is not an

aesthetic value that ranks high on the list for rock music. But it’s the word I keep coming back to when going over last night’s stunning, transcendent concert by Wilco. Beauty. In every sense of the word. The music was beautiful. The setting was beautiful; downright gorgeous. The visuals – the lighting and tableaux – were beautiful. The weather was beautiful. The sky blue sky was beautiful. The overall vibe was beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's now almost 2 months past SSF5, but in this mess of a world, my heart keeps swinging back to that weekend and the pure magic that humanity can have when it loves itself. Too corny? I don't think so. Solid Sound lifted me up like nothing else has, and still leaves me dazzle-eyed and smiling to myself when I picture some small moment there.

Almost 2 months, yet it feels like maybe a week ago. Now it may be that I'm just that disorganized...a distinct possibility, with me...but I think the real reason is that these moments of pure love and happiness are really just that indelible. Burned onto my brain where they may always feel that recent. I hope I can always call it back like this, because the 5 Solid Sounds have been some of the happiest days in my lifetime.

• 1 month later...

21686824_10212186490530509_3867063518762

Something those who've been to Solid Sound might find interesting. Was looking through a book on the history of MassMoca, and came across this photo of the old Sprague factory and realized that Joe's Field was once covered by a huge single story building. Even after 5 festivals, never realized. 

Locate the water tank, and at the very bottom left the house on the hill, and you'll see what I mean.

pretty cool, thanks for posting that pic.

Here's an alternate view, looks like that building was built into a hillside and was two stories at the "stage" end.

Postcard2.jpg