Wilco -- 7/30/10, South Bend, IN

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great show tonight in South Bend. Setlist to come...

It has come...:ninja

—robot voice show instructions and "The Price Is Right" theme music intro—

Sunken Treasure

Ashes of American Flags

Either Way

IATTBYH

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

One Wing

Company In My Back

A Shot in the Arm

Side With The Seeds

She's A Jar

Say You Miss Me

Impossible Germany

Forget The Flowers

I'll Fight

Box Full of Letters

Handshake Drugs

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

Can't Stand It

You Never Know

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

------------------------

Broken Arrow [buffalo Springfield]

Airline To Heaven

The Late Greats

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)

------------------------

Thank You Friends [big Star] (w/Yo La Tengo's Ira Kaplan on electric guitar and Georgia Hubley and James McNew on percussion)

Other pertinent details:

*Wilco on stage at 8:32 pm, off stage at 10:57 pm.

*Kicking Television was on the printed setlist in the first encore after Red-Eyed/I Got You but wasn't played.

*Wilco soundcheck, more or less, as follows:

-new song-Sometimes (?)

-Say You Miss Me

-Kicking Television

-I'll Fight

-Company In My Back

-Broken Arrow

-fragments of Spiders and One Wing

One last thing before I head off to bed: Jeff had some pretty priceless banter tonight, including a perhaps not-so-subtle allusion to the recent Kings Of Leon pigeon crapping incident. I'll let others chime in, but that particular bit, which came after he unintentionally (?) omitted a line in "Say You Miss Me" and proceeded to do it for the rest of the song, almost singlehandedly made the show for me. :thumbup

Well, that and Jeff's Zumba demonstration and discussion of Glenn's broken toe. :pirate

I hope everyone made it home safe. On my way home, I discovered that Indiana Police closed off Dixie Way which is the primary route to the Toll Road for intensive travel to the W and E. With that said, it took me about 15 minutes to find the workaround.

======

~Yo La Tengo's setlist

Autumn Sweater

More Stars Than There Are In Heaven

Stockholm Syndrome

The Weakest Part

Mr. Tough

Here To Fall

For The Turnstiles [Neil Young cover] (thanks Calvino)

Periodically Double Or Triple

Nothing To Hide

Sugarcube

Pass Me The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind

I saw two separate individuals get dehydrated during this event, and I noticed some dudes trying to start fights on stage left's side. One of those drunk/high yet violent individuals threatened to steal the thunder from Hatchet's solo. Even Ira forgot about Mr. Tough's fake ending!

But I had a wonderful time meeting some of the VCers like Kevin, Matt, Cathy, and Courtney. It's ashame this concert didn't sell out because we got a deal, perhaps a steal. We received an above normal ratio of Being There and Summerteeth material. Above all, we received awesome songs and had a wonderful audience singing and clapping to everything.

In addition to Zumba (and the awesome Zumba improv thanks to the rest of the band), Jeff admitted "I pooped my pants."

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100730/INTHEBEND/100739925

Wilco intense, dynamic at Coveleski

CONCERT Review

By ANDREW S. HUGHES

Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND — Wilco and Yo La Tengo gave the city something it rarely sees Friday night at Coveleski Stadium: a concert by two bands still in their creative prime.

And both of them challenged and thrilled the moderate-size audience at the baseball park.

Yo La Tengo — Ira Kaplan on guitar and keyboard, James McNew on bass, and Georgia Hubley on drums — opened the concert with an hour-long set of music that veered wildly from brisk, melodic pop-rock songs to anguished, droning exercises in emotional noise, from straight-ahead rock 'n' roll with its roots in first-generation punk to chaotic soundscapes dominated by Kaplan's pulverizing approach to playing guitar.

Some of the experimental aspects of Yo La Tengo's set, however, were as repetitive as other parts were sonically interesting, especially the two songs that opened their set, but the band knows what it's doing and has the musicianship to pull it off.

By the same token, songs such as "Stockholm Syndrome" and "Periodically Double or Triple," showed that Yo La Tengo can write and play traditional, melodic rock well while still incorporating elements of its wilder side into the songs — Kaplan's pugilistic guitar solo on "Stockholm Syndrome," for example.

Wilco proved it's one of rock's finest and tightest ensembles with an exuberant 29-song, 2½-hour set that spanned its entire history, from 1995's "A.M." to 2009's "Wilco (The Album)."

In doing so, it showed its diversity, moving easily from the gentle acoustic guitar picking of show-opener "Sunken Treasure" to the explosive rock of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" three songs later, from the country-rock of "Forget the Flowers" to the Beach Boys-style harmonies of "You Never Know."

Aside from two festivals later in the summer, South Bend's concert on Friday was Wilco's only show in the United States through the rest of the year following the band's "Wilco (The Album)" tour that ended June 1.

And it was clear from the intensity of their performance that each of the band's members came to play hard, honestly and for the enjoyment of it.

Singer Jeff Tweedy, in particular, appeared to be in a playful mood, whether it was in his bright delivery of "A Shot in the Arm" or the delight he seemed to take in leading the audience in singing "Jesus, Etc." in his place.

When he spoke between songs, he joked about the Chicago Cubs, the "greatest hits" portion of the show — "one of these songs must have been a hit somewhere" — and his recent and embarrassed interest in Zoomba, a samba-based exercise program.

Bass player John Stirratt and keyboardist and guitarist Pat Sansone joined Tweedy on vocals to produce solid harmonies on such songs as "You Are My Face," "I'll Fight" and "I'm the Man Who Loves You."

Sansone turned in a tightly constructed, muscular guitar solo on "Box Full of Letters" and a funky piano solo on "Can't Stand It."

Guitarist Nels Cline provided numerous songs with dynamic guitar solos, as with the melodic solo that climaxed with a series of aggressively hammered notes on "Ashes of American Flags," his anguished use of sustain and tremolo on "One Wing" and the sonic and musical freak-out of "A Shot in the Arm."

Drummer Glenn Kotche's playing possessed an apparent wildness because, like Keith Moon, he uses the drums as much as a melodic as a rhythmic instrument, which gives Wilco much of its power and dynamism live.

Wilco opened the first of its two encore sets with a dynamic and epic cover of Buffalo Springfield's "Broken Arrow," a song written by Neil Young and a perfect choice for Wilco because Young may be the most appropriate reference point for this band and its musicianship, stylistic diversity and originality.

After that first five-song encore, Wilco returned, along with Yo La Tengo, for a one-song farewell, a cover of Big Star's "Thank You Friends."

And both bands seemed to mean it with regard to Friday's audience.

One last thing before I head off to bed: Jeff had some pretty priceless banter tonight, including a perhaps not-so-subtle allusion to the recent Kings Of Leon pigeon crapping incident. I'll let others chime in, but that particular bit, which came after he unintentionally (?) omitted a line in "Say You Miss Me" and proceeded to do it for the rest of the song, almost singlehandedly made the show for me. :thumbup

Well, that and Jeff's zumba demonstration and discussion of Glenn's broken toe. :pirate

Jeff said he stopped singing because he was afraid a bird might poop in his mouth. He then went on to say that "back in the day, it was a privilege to get pooped on, he had even had roadies poop in his mouth"

Jeff gave Glenn a hard time for breaking his toe and gave two scenarios: It happened during a road rage incident where Glenn kicked someones butt or he broke it during toddler gymnastics, you decide he's just reporting. Jeff then went on to say something embarrassing about himself which was his recent experience with Zumba. He even did a very small jig for us.

It was For the Turnstiles (Neil Young Cover.)

Thanks for the YLT setlist. I had it written down as well, but I didn't know a couple of the songs so I didn't mention it. Really enjoyed their set. Ira had some good banter as well, including a funny line about how the reason Wilco was headlining was because they were rehearsing in their dressing room before the show while his band was opening because they snuck into the room where they kept the mascot outfits and took pictures with them. (Jeff later responded with a mock shaking of the fists, saying that YLT practiced plenty as well.) :lol

It was especially nice to hear YLT's take on "For The Turnstiles," which Ira dedicated to the late Ben Keith. They put a real garage-y kind of spin on it. It reminded me to pull out the 7-inch I have of YLT doing that song (Side One: The Asparagus Song) that dates back to 1987 on Coyote Records. I think it's one of their earliest singles, maybe their second one. :thumbup

I'm glad they played "Either Way." There's something about hearing that song at an outdoor show, while it's still kind of light outside, that makes me miss summer already even though it's still July. "Side with the Seeds" was well-timed with the "the park grows dark" lyric. Jeff seemed proud. It was also raining lightly during "Broken Arrow," so the line "...that waited outside in the rain" got a big cheer.

What a great time .. My first Wilco show .... met some great folks.. drank many expensive 24oz ballbark beers ....the show was even better than I anticipated and that is saying ALOT .... cant wait to do it again

What a great show in South Bend! I realized yesterday that I hadn't seen Wilco outdoors since '08, and last night was perfect for an outdoor show. The setlist was oustanding: Side With The Seeds, Either Way, Say You Miss Me (pigeons be damned!), Broken Arrow, Company, Late Greats... There was also a new Walken guitar. No, make that a guitorgan. Crazy!

As already mentioned, the KOL-related banter was priceless. Like ditty said, the "back in the day" reference was funny and greeted with cheers and laughter. Then, in classic Jeff fashion, he took it a step farther: "We've had roadies crap in our mouths and we kept playing!" Cue groans and the segue into Impossible Germany.

Early on there was also a brief period during which Nels had some technical difficulties. When things were finally ironed out, Jeff pretended to wipe his brow in relief. After the song, Jeff expressed his relief as he was afraid he'd have to pull off Nels' solo. I think this may have been when he patronizingly expressed his appreciation to Glenn for playing with a broken toe which led to the Toddler Gymanastics-Road Rage-You Decide story. Then, apparently feeling a little guilty for sharing Glenn's story, Jeff offered up his own embarrassing incident: he did Zumba the other day. He spent a little time talking about Zumba and then added, right before launching into the next song, "And I pooped in my pants." So there was a fair amount of excrement-related banter.

Insignifant note: Last year I could have sworn Jeff sang, "Get back to black metal and perms" rather than "pearls," but no one else saw it, and I didn't see/hear it again. But last night I swear I saw it again: "perms."

It's going to be a long fall and winter without live Wilco.

Great show, but had hoped to hear a few more tunes. I got greedy after seeing recent 36-39 song set lists.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere (my first outdoor Wilco show) and chatting up the locals. I brought my 10 & 13 year olds, and was it was great to see so many other kids there. We're raising our children right.

I love the one off show. It leads to a more surprising set list with far less accurate guesses. For instance IATTBYH is finishing up, and the guitar tech hands Jeff his next guitar as the noise was finishing up. On the "evening with Wilco" tour that meant One Wing was next. Last night it was right into Bull Black Nova. A very little thing, and something that can be remedied by not reading set lists, but a nice surprise none the less. The open of ST/Ashes was very soulful. Say You Miss Me followed by She's a jar was fantastic. Plus two of those 4 have Jeff on harmonica. I love Red Eyed/I got you in the encore. Jeff's whistling never sounded better. John had a buzz cut, Pat was without beard, and Glen shook off the injury to jumpstart ITMWLY.

Great night in a very nice venue. I had never attended a rock concert in a ball park before and just loved how simple it all was. There were many kids in the crowd with distractions galore. You could run on the grass, throw down a blanket or stretch out on the bleacher seats. Food, drink and bathroom were all easy to access and plentiful. It was crowded on the field but not uncomfortable. And everything was right there. In other words, it was a nice change of pace from the festival scene.

Great way to end my trip back to CT after visiting National Parks out West. Met some friendly South Bend locals who work for the ND football team and had some great conversations about previous Wilco concerts and such. Got there for the sound check as was reported above. We were not only able to hear them but we could watch them through the gate down the right field line. Unfortunately, I had to contend with one of the drunken crazies who decided to plop his drunk ass right in front of us about two thirds into the concert after the near brawl reported above. Since we were only about twenty feet from center stage, it became a popular place for folks to jam into who were not there earlier. It was as if a big asshole magnet was located near by. He began to scream insults towards the stage whenever Tweedy began to talk to the crowd, spilled beer one a few folks and jump around like a typical drunk. In a not so polite way, I asked him to take his act somewhere else and he eventually wandered off after causing a few other folks problems. But all in all a great night despite a few sprinkles. I meet a few other folks who recently attended one of the Living Room shows and will be attending the festival in Mass. in a couple of weeks. I didn't bother finding out their forum names, but I look forward to meeting them again at the hotel we coincidentally both have reservations for.

Anything else on this? I'm curious.

It's hard for me to characterize a song after one listen. I guess you're just looking for a sense of it, but the best I can say is it sounded like a natural extension of the last couple of records.

It sort of had a soul-like feel (or rather, Wilco's version of soul) to it and I liked it on first listen. Musically, it seemed pretty straightforward but obviously that could change. And in terms of lyrics, I couldn't really recite any lines, but while I was listening, I remember thinking that it sounded like something Jeff would write. :yes

Nothing much to add here really, except to say that last night's show is one of the many many reasons I love Wilco. Solid, solid performance and wonderfully concocted setlist and many nods/ thanks to the crowd for being they. I feel like they truly appreciate their fans- expressed in their continued creativity, attention to detail and direct thanks like we witnessed last night. Thanks to Wilco and to the great people I met last night!

Really enjoyed the show last night, had been far too long since I saw Wilco last (Millenium Park, I think). Liked the way Ashes outro'd with a nice jam as opposed to noise, not sure how long they've been performing this way, but it was a nice surprise. Really liked the covers too, Broken Arrow was great, (kudos to including the Mr. Soul portion at the beginning), and when they started Thank You Friends, I had to pinch myself("they can't be doing Big Star, can they???). A very faithful rendition, that was overabundant on the sincere energy that tune conveys. BRAVO!!!!!!

It was great seeing everyone and meeting a few new people. :cheers Our caravan almost had a road rage story of our own in a mind-numbingly frustrating effort to find a nearby Steak & Shake. What would we be without Google Maps on our phones (and wishful thinking?)

The band was stellar as always but I've yet to experience an off night - are they even capable of it?

another thing that made me smile -- all of the kids! It was a perfect venue and evening for a family night of rockin' out. This is why I felt the set list was almost perfect -- I wish Hummingbird would have been played, it's Maddie's favorite Wilco song.

I bought tickets for my kids, but they didnt want to go. Oh well, my wife and I had a great time on our own.

another thing that made me smile -- all of the kids! It was a perfect venue and evening for a family night of rockin' out. This is why I felt the set list was almost perfect -- I wish Hummingbird would have been played, it's Maddie's favorite Wilco song.

My wife and I brought our kid. We relaxed in the grass during Yo La Tengo and when Wilco hit the stage we went in front of the sound board, where there there was plenty of room. I had my kid (10 months old) in a front carrier and he fell asleep by the fifth song or so. The Peltor earmuffs seemed to worked great. Is was fun watching his eyelids flutter a bit when they shined the lights on the audience. Right when they started to play "Thank You Friends", he woke up with a loud scream ---I don't think he likes 11pm curfews, either.

As for the show, great as usual. Really glad that they played Broken Arrow, which I never seen live before.

Yo La Tengo was great, too (esp. For the Turnstiles).

Next concert family road trip will be down to St. Louis for LouFest at the end of this month.

Hey everyone. I just saw Wilco live for the first time in South Bend and decided to write a review for the show. Enjoy if you see fit:

http://allstarblogge...experience-here

Very nice review, Clayton. Welcome to the world of Wilco addiction! And tell your friend to buzz off--from what I understand, that Farm Aid show was nothing compared to what you saw. (But of course any Wilco is better than no Wilco.)

Oh, and BTW, there's lots of discussion about this show in another thread, called After the Show.

[*Moderator edit: topic now merged]