Jeff Tweedy - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Toronto - NIGHT TWO

Such a goodie tonight. Setlist was even better than last nights I thought (Pieholden Suite WHAT), seemed to be less crazy "dudes" yelling out ridiculous stuff and I liked that. Jeff was in a great mood again and was hilarious. He flubbed the lyrics to Pecan Pie, which in itself was really funny (did Keylime very fittingly help him out with that?), but he also said something to the effect of: "this has to be one of the dumbest songs I ever wrote and it was when I was on pills, so take THAT tortured artist theory! Yeah I really suffered for that one!" :D

Heard another new song tonight, not really sure what to call it as there wasn't a whole lot of repeated lyrics (although I must say the lyrics on this one upon first listen sound super super good) but he did repeat "I'm going to die alone" a couple of times. Again I have no clue what this will sound like with the full band but it definitely sort of reminded me lyrically of the YHF days in terms of imagery, and sort of had a folky vibe again musically.

Feist came out in the encore and sang You And I which was awesome, and he ended the night with an unplugged Walken and Dreamer In My Dreams on what looked like a new white resonator guitar.

All in all it was another fantastic one, I really enjoyed tonights more than last nights show. Good to see a lot of VC folks there as well!

Feist came out in the encore and sang You And I which was awesome, and he ended the night with an unplugged Walken and Dreamer In My Dreams on what looked like a new white resonator guitar.

Someone has already put a nice video of You and I up on youtube. Naughty, I know, but really nice to watch.

You just beat me Kalle, I was just about to start this thread.

Another great show, and a completely different setlist from last night to boot. Here's some of the ones I recall:

Sunken Treasure, Remember the Mountain Bed, Forget the Flowers, Dreamer in My Dreams, How to Fight Loneliness, Kamera, Heavy Metal Drummer (with shout outs to Rush and Anvil), I'm the Man Who Loves You, Theologians, The Late Greats, Someday Soon, Summerteeth, Pieholden Suite, Country Disappeared, Pecan Pie, You and I (w/Feist), Walken... I'll leave it to bböp to fill in the blanks and do it right (nice meeting you by the way, and kudos for getting the sing along going on Summerteeth.)

My girlfriend snapped a quick shot towards the end of the show:

JeffTweedyLeslieFeist1.jpg

I'll leave it to bböp to fill in the blanks and do it right

:blush

You did a pretty good job, so kudos to you. (And nice to meet you as well. Tell your girlfriend that's a nice covert picture, too!)

With no repeats in Boulder in January and these past two nights in Toronto, I keep thinking that whenever Jeff plays two nights in a city now, people are going to be disappointed if he does repeat a song. Not that I'm complaining, by any means, but he's definitely set a bar for himself. :pirate

Nice to hear Feist with just Jeff accompanying her on acoustic guitar. I know some people aren't huge fans of that song, but you could really hear her sing tonight. Sometimes when she sings it with the full band, I feel like you can't hear her vocals as well. So that was cool.

And I was wondering what that white guitar was going to be used for. Obviously it was going to be used for something since it wasn't on stage last night. Thanks, Kalle, for the terminology on resonator guitar. I knew it wasn't a dobro, though it kind of looked like one. Sounded very cool off the PA, which I guess maybe is related to its resonating more than a regular guitar?

As to the new song, it's always hard for me to make much of a judgement on first listen but, lyrically, it seems to fit a little bit with "I'll Fight" in terms of the religious imagery. I jotted down just a few snippets of lyrics, but there was "I've seen the way of the gospel," and "I believe I've seen" either "the future" or "the finger" (couldn't make it out clearly) coupled with "divine extremity." And the "I was born to die alone" line that Kalle mentioned earlier.

Anyway, here was the official (or unofficial, I guess) tally for Night Two in TO:

Sunken Treasure

Remember The Mountain Bed

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Not For The Season

Country Disappeared

Kamera

new song-I Was Born To Die Alone? (live debut)

Pieholden Suite

Forget The Flowers

Summer Teeth

Radio King

How To Fight Loneliness

I'll Fight

Pecan Pie (started and restarted)

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

---------------------

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

You And I (w/Feist on vocals)

---------------------

Walken (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

Dreamer In My Dreams (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

very very gutted that i missed this show :(

i live in Waterloo, and the roads were horrible due to all the snow. I started driving out, but turned around. It just wasn't happening. Better safe with no concert, than in some accident on the way to or back from it. I went last night, of course, and tonight was going to be the 2-in-a-row. Looks like an awesome setlist, and Feist for You and I - wow. You people are so lucky! Yes, quite disappointed I couldn't go.

The silver lining is that a VC-er was able to fill in my empty seat at the last minute, so all was not lost.

Remember The Mountain Bed

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

new song-I Was Born To Die Alone? (live debut)

Forget The Flowers

Summer Teeth

Radio King

How To Fight Loneliness

Theologians

You And I (w/Feist on vocals)

these are the ones I'm particularly jealous of all of you for getting to hear tonight.

I understand being gutted, it sounds like a great night, but I understand the impact of that storm. I work near Pearson Airport and live in Halton. I had to come home since I had my carpool obligation, yet I dreamed of turning around and driving back down to find a ticket.

The travel time through the snow was than doubled. It was just not a night for a long drive. I too decided to be safe and stay home..... and dream of Solid Sound in June.

As to the new song, ... "I believe I've seen" either "the future" or "the finger" (couldn't make it out clearly) coupled with "divine extremity."

Maybe he's just been to to Marseilles (or Paris - there's another one).

finger-747557.jpg

And I'm not going to Google 'divine extremity' at work thank you very much.

Edit: Also reminds me of the old Kenny Everett character:-

kenever3.jpg

Thanks for the lists and comments on the first two shows in Toronto... both sound great, but night two reads like - in the words of Charlie Sheen, "WINNING!"

I am heading up to Montreal tomorrow night and really excited! Was hoping for a Radio King and Summer Teeth, but alas, that probably won't happen... Good to that Jeff seems to be in a great mood.

On Saturday, I am seeing Mavis Staples at the Flynn in Burlington! Billy Bragg was supposed to co-headline, but his mother just passed so he is not making the trip. Instead, we are getting Neko Case which should be most excellent. Perhaps she'll join Mavis on "The Weight?!?!?!?"

Enjoy your weekend and see you all - or most of you - at Solid Sound!

Thanks for the lists and comments on the first two shows in Toronto... both sound great, but night two reads like - in the words of Charlie Sheen, "WINNING!"

I am heading up to Montreal tomorrow night and really excited! Was hoping for a Radio King and Summer Teeth, but alas, that probably won't happen... Good to that Jeff seems to be in a great mood.

On Saturday, I am seeing Mavis Staples at the Flynn in Burlington! Billy Bragg was supposed to co-headline, but his mother just passed so he is not making the trip. Instead, we are getting Neko Case which should be most excellent. Perhaps she'll join Mavis on "The Weight?!?!?!?"

Enjoy your weekend and see you all - or most of you - at Solid Sound!

I will also be at the Montreal show (SO EXCITED) as well as Mavis Staples. Neko Case, really??? I hadn't heard that. This is going to be the most amazing weekend of music I've had since Solid Sound!!

ps Paul, hope to see you in Montreal (your buddy Jen from Burlington)

(did Keylime very fittingly help him out with that?)

Yup! :)

Such a fun night, despite my exhaustion. I finally got to hear Dreamer in my Dreams after yeeeeeeears of waiting. Definitely less hecklers tonight, which was great. I also really liked the new song a lot. It seemed lyrically dense (in a good way) and the melody was real pretty. I'm so excited about this new stuff, it's more folky/gospelly, but like Kalle said, I'm not sure how it'll sound with a full band. We'll have to wait and see!

It was nice seeing everyone! What a pleasant way to end a decade long drought of Jeff shows in this city.

sigh, another great show to miss. And Remember the Mountain Bed got played.

double *(*@^^*&

although, Leslie Feist showing up for a song is one thing TO audiences are sorta non-plussed about. It happens ALL the time

I will also be at the Montreal show (SO EXCITED) as well as Mavis Staples. Neko Case, really??? I hadn't heard that. This is going to be the most amazing weekend of music I've had since Solid Sound!!

Hey Jen! Yeah, I plan to be there, so hopefully we'll get to say hi. And so cool about Neko and Mavis (although sad about Billy Bragg's mum)! Definitely wish I could make that one. That would be a great show to see! :thumbup

And I'm not going to Google 'divine extremity' at work thank you very much.

Edit: Also reminds me of the old Kenny Everett character:-

kenever3.jpg

Probably a good idea. :ninja

You are TOO funny, sir! :lol

Another fantastic show. I agree with Kalle, I think the setlist topped the first show's. "Not For the Season" and "Radio King" were definite highlights for me.

Nice to hear Feist with just Jeff accompanying her on acoustic guitar. I know some people aren't huge fans of that song, but you could really hear her sing tonight. Sometimes when she sings it with the full band, I feel like you can't hear her vocals as well. So that was cool.

I have to confess, "You And I" isn't up there for me but Feist did sound pretty good. And she and Jeff really looked like they were having fun.

The merch table was a bit sparse ("Wilco (the album)" , "Adult Head", tote bag, etc.) I picked up the "All God's Money" show poster as a souvenir, though. Couldn't resist.

Nice to meet some fellow VC'ers. See you at SS!

Another fantastic show. I agree with Kalle, I think the setlist topped the first show's. "Not For the Season" and "Radio King" were definite highlights for me.

I have to confess, "You And I" isn't up there for me but Feist did sound pretty good. And she and Jeff really looked like they were having fun.

The merch table was a bit sparse ("Wilco (the album)" , "Adult Head", tote bag, etc.) I picked up the "All God's Money" show poster as a souvenir, though. Couldn't resist.

Nice to meet some fellow VC'ers. See you at SS!

Looks like a great setlist, I hope we get something like that in Portland. Was there a show poster for the at all?

As bbop said, this will be a great double bill with Mavis and Neko - despite the passing of Billy Bragg's mum...

For those of you that will be arriving in Montreal today or tomorrow - the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is showing "The Warrior Emperor and China's Terracotta Army" as their featured exhibit. This exhibit is getting amazing reviews - I am checking it tomorrow.

Enjoy Montreal!

And I was wondering what that white guitar was going to be used for. Obviously it was going to be used for something since it wasn't on stage last night. Thanks, Kalle, for the terminology on resonator guitar. I knew it wasn't a dobro, though it kind of looked like one. Sounded very cool off the PA, which I guess maybe is related to its resonating more than a regular guitar?

i think Jeff's new white guitar was a vintage version of this.... (excuse me - ivory)

National Guitars

menu.jpg