Rank The Studio Albums

With the new album coming next month, if you're like me you've probably started re-listening to the back catalog. This is a topic that's discussed often, but never gets old. So let's rank the studio albums. Personally, I'm going to exclude the Mermaid Avenue work and stick to original material.

1. Being There

2. A Ghost Is Born

3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

4. Wilco (The Album)

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. Summerteeth

7. A.M.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numbers 6 and 7 are the only easy ones. The rest are almost completely interchangeable.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. Being There

3. A Ghost Is Born

4. Summerteeth

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. A.M.

7. Wilco (The Album)

This is so right, you don't even know it.

It is always fun. But it reminds me how long it's been since I've listened to most of these straight through.

• Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  • A Ghost is Born

• Being There
  • Sky Blue Sky

• Summerteeth
  • (The Album)
  • AM

My only real debate is which order to put 3) and 4) in. IMO the first half of SBS is one of their very strongest sequences of songs.

AM is probably literally a better "album" than (TA), since one of my primary complaints with (TA) is that it isn't so much a unified album as a collection of random songs that do not belong together. But those random songs have lots of individual moments I like a lot.

Tough one. I am going to have to rank these based on how often I listen to them.

1) Being There

2) A Ghost Is Born

3) Summerteeth

4) Sky Blue Sky

5) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

6) AM

7) Wilco (The Album)

The hardest to place for me are both AM and YHF because I really like those albums, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them

In actuality mine is (1 and 2 change all the time though):

1. A Ghost Is Born

2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

3. Summerteeth

4. Being There

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. AM

7. Wilco (The Album)

I got no problem with this list. The remarkable thing is that 6. and 7. are still better than the best of most of the other bands I listen to.

Numbers 6 and 7 are the only easy ones. The rest are almost completely interchangeable.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. Being There

3. A Ghost Is Born

4. Summerteeth

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. A.M.

7. Wilco (The Album)

Totally agree. Particularly for me, I tend to listen to live Wilco (and a lot of it), so I often forget what song came from what album. The live repertoire over the years has been consistently one big universe of unbelievably great songs.

AM cannot be last on any list of albums. Every single song is great. Every one

It's not last because of any perceived lack of quality...it simply suffers from the first album syndrome. I love AM, but I love the rest of the Wilco canon that much more.