Wilco--9/20/11 Boston

Other than the new material which really works live (with one or two exceptions), Handshake Drugs was the highlight of the show - I have seen that performed a number of times but last night both Nels and Pat brought it up to another level entirely...

This was the case in Montreal as well with Handshake - it was an entirely new song. Same with Loneliness - killer piano solo from Pat on that.

Exciting to hear the old stuff reworked!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that too and I'm really not looking for a repeat in Central Park. Damn. I'd love an indoor show.

Absolutely agree-I thought I was wearing a raincoat at solid sound but turned out I was not. I was so soaked I almost cried. The good news is I bought some lovely green rain boots yesterday which I'll be sporting at Central Park. Hopefully that will make the difference

I thought it was a great show! nothing will hold a candle to the "Evening With..." Show i saw... but I am always up for seeing these guys. The set was a little short... but everyone was happy and on top of their game. I love Jeffs stage moves and he seemed like he was in a really really good mood.

My only major gripe was he didnt really talk too much... probably because of the 11 curfew, they wanted to cram as much as they could.

my minor gripe is they didnt play Standing O. I know a lot of people dont like that tune... but I love it and wanna hear it live!

Boston Globe review:

Wilco hits its mark for ramshackle perfection

It was, as the saying goes, like riding a bike. And in this case, a bicycle built for six. Last year, after roughly 15 years of steady touring amid recording seven albums, Wilco - the Chicago alt-country band-turned-sound collage adventurers - decided to take a rare break from the road before hitting the studio to make its new album, “The Whole Love,’’ (which comes out next week on the group’s own in-house label, dBpm Records).

But, as Wilco demonstrated before a sold-out house at the Wang Theatre last night, you don’t unlearn instinct, a honed sense of balance, and the ability to ride and take a turn just because more than a few months have passed since you pounded the pavement.

It’s been more than a decade since Wilco’s about-face away from the post-Uncle Tupelo roots rock that defined its early work, and turn toward the pop experimentalism of “Summerteeth’’ and everything that’s come after (most famously 2002’s “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’’).

“The Whole Love’’ extends the group’s streak of being both convincing, confounding - but always true to the business of being Wilco, whatever that may mean to singer-songwriter Jeff Tweedy and Co. on any particular day or year.

The band opened with the dramatic “Art of Almost,’’ one of three straight songs from the new album that also included the impressionistic “I Might’’ and “Black Moon,’’ a country-style acoustic ballad that harkened back to the band’s early days. It’s the kind of song Tweedy can write, and sing, in his sleep.

Guitarist Nels Cline can probably play Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd-style leads in his sleep, but luckily, he was right in front of us, peeling off angular solo slabs on “Bull Black Nova,’’ “Impossible Germany,’’ and “Handshake Drugs.’’

Other numbers, like the still-trenchant “Shot in the Arm’’ found the band scraping guitars, banging pianos, thrashing drums, and Tweedy’s just-this-side-of-hoarse plea pressing onward toward Wilco’s own Shangri-La of ramshackle perfection. The encore-closing “Monday’’ and “Outtasite (Outta Mind)’’ capped a nearly two-hour show.

I feel like a spoiled Wilco fan when commenting that a 2 hr set is "short." The band was tight last night! Very little talking, which was fine as it allowed them to play what felt like a very fluid set. I had awesome seats right on the aisle in the 4th row. I visited a friend in the back of the floor and was amazed by how great the view was. What a beautiful venue!

Awesome poster too, glad I grabbed one and that it made it home safely! Oh, and Josh... it's Tyler, it was nice meeting you!

Really bummed that I sold my NYC tix... What's the point of employment when I can't use funds to support my Wilco addiction?

Was at the show last night in the pit and loved seeing the band have so much fun. When you're that close you get to really pay attention to what each band member is contributing to the new album. Though I love the Art of Almost I almost wish they opened with One Sunday Morning and then built up to Art of Almost and then BBN. The encore was rocking.

Looking forward to Central Park, but not the rain.

my minor gripe is they didnt play Standing O. I know a lot of people dont like that tune... but I love it and wanna hear it live!

There's an excellent recording of the Saturday night Solid Sound circulating, you can hear Standing O live there. I can hook you up with the track, or the entire show. Sounds great live to my ears.

I also feel a bit spoiled for thinking "ugh, a Wilco show NOT longer than two hours?" but like a bunch of you fine folks think, it was a tight set and the new songs sound incredible. Also, think of it this way: the next time they come to New England, they probably won't play half of those songs from TWL. So just think of it as "An Evening with The Whole Love"--though a Wilco show without Jesus and Hummingbird seemed a bit foreign to me.

Beautiful venue, horrible ushers (what's up with the Secret Service-esque suits telling you to stop taking non-flash pictures?), and absurdly overpriced everything. I submitted to an $11 Miller to drown my sorrows after finding out the posters were sold out, which was another first at a Wilco show.

Regardless, that was my eleventh time seeing Wilco since 2005 and they make me more than happy each show. It's like seeing family.

I see me in that picture! The tallest one standing behind the kid in the plaid shirt.

That was a family sitting in front of me... The dad was being a typical dad, hooting, hollering, clapping, trying to be fun. The daughter was dragged along, i could tell. Texting CONSTANTLY and telling her dad to stop dancing. wtf girl? Let your dad do what he wants. Shut up and watch the show and get off the F-book! They changed the layout anyway and it blows!

Wha!?!?! Who are these miscreants! I adore it - one of my faves on the album. And they played it live for me in Montreal! It was a moment...

~ maybe you've noticed I'm not the same as almost anyone ~

I don't know if it's just me after listening to loud music for several decades, but did anyone think the volume needed to be louder? I agree, the show was short and sweet. There was a guy sitting next to my son and I who drove down from Syracuse for his first Wilco concert. He was rocking out. It was nice to see a Wilco concert virgin pop his cherry.

I don't know if it's just me after listening to loud music for several decades, but did anyone think the volume needed to be louder?

yeah, the volume needed to be bumped up a little bit. I started out in a box in the back of the orchestra and it was fairly quiet. I ended up in row K though and up there the volume was pretty nice (obviously). I've had issues with the Wang being really quiet before though

Let's get out the bizarre things first: OK. 3 employees/volunteers at the Wang Theatre have no fucking clue what "curfew" means. I politely asked 3 employees and no one knew what I was talking about. They looked at me as if I had just hijacked a bus full of penguins on acid.

Ditto on the "Secret Service" ushers. You could tell that they were walking around with hardons eating up their power. Constantly going back and forth. Glancing over everyone. Using their hip walkie talkies. This is a rock concert. The President is not giving a speech. Ease up. Or next time I'll bring Chuck Norris with me and he won't be dressed for the occasion.

I loved my seat which was the 1st row aisle seat of the Mezzanine. How were the seats way back in the balcony? It looked steep and very, very laid out. Like rows of 50 people or so. It looked like a pain to get out of the middle of all that and get something or use the restroom.

The show was amazing! Glad to hear 7 tracks off of The Whole Love and I've got a pretty good track record so far of hearing live debuts of songs off the album thanks to Solid Sound and Black Moon last night.

THEY DIDN'T PLAY jesus, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!! You know, I thought that they were going to slide it in there at the end with 5 minutes left till 11. It was very nice of them to bench that song and I hope that they treat some of their other staples like that over the coming tour. Is this the 1st show since before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to not feature the song? If so, last night was a momentous occasion for that.

Wilco was all business. They were there to rock and that they did and then some.

Hung out with my 2 friends in the lower lobby which was lightly populated and had seats and tables. I found it by going downstairs to use the restroom. We had some great laughs. There was a Prince Charles lookalike in line to buy beer. And there was a Wang employee wearing one purple glove directing people back upstairs. I joked that once the band starts she's going to go into the bowels of the Wang and steal the Pink Panther diamond.

Nice to see Bbop & MeDave last night before the show. Lastly, everyone was dressed very nice. Nice evening. We wait and wonder when Wilco will return to Boston. I'm hoping they don't wait until Solid Sound 2012 and pass over Boston. I'm expecting a show at the Bank Of America Pavillion over the summer. That seems about right to me.

A Few thoughts on Last Night

It was their First Return to Boston since their now growing Legendary Orpheum Shows

I liked the way they seem to know they set the bar real high by their comment already quoted ...

However Strong the Love for this band by the audience(myself included)it seems to run both ways.

After Handshake the Place was on Fire Jeff acknowledged by simply saying Awww Boston.

The Pre Meetup Choice was Great it was Wonderful to Meet thingfishp (George and his Daughter and his Sis and Niece)

Food was Good Beer Was Tops !

I bought the CD glad it was there! Poster Looked Great Wish it Had it Been a T shirt as well

Ah the Music What Can I add hmm Nick was Terrific and he seemed to appreciate the Great Crowd response.

Now the post concert listen and wait blues... (easier to take as for me time goes by)

See you further on up the road....

Ha! It was actually on the setlist. Encore was planned to be 6 songs longed -- I believe it was Jesus and Via Chicago that got cut.

So glad that there's an 11PM curfew for the Theatre District which is primarily surrounded by Emerson students in dorm apartments. I didn't pay almost $50 for a Wilco show that was cut short due to a Puritanical time limit. I'm sorry, but eff the Wang.

Loved towards the end of Handshake Drugs when Jeff strapped on the electric, twirled on one foot and gave Nels a smile communicating something like "Okay, you've done your typical Nels guitar freakout. Now it's my turn.", at which point he launched into some truly inspired feedback.

How about some love for Mr. Nick Lowe? Sixty plus years old and still a fantastic voice. He did a great job on "I Live on a Battlefield". The crowd around me on the Mezz level seemed to really be into it - very little talking which was a pleasant surprise for an acoustic opener. He seemed to be genuinely appreciative of the crowd response. Given his legendary status, I feel lucky to have seen him play last night.

THEY DIDN'T PLAY jesus, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!! You know, I thought that they were going to slide it in there at the end with 5 minutes left till 11. It was very nice of them to bench that song and I hope that they treat some of their other staples like that over the coming tour. Is this the 1st show since before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to not feature the song? If so, last night was a momentous occasion for that.

Yes, it's a bit overplayed, but you have to be a stone-hearted monster to not feel some kind of warmth when Tweedy pulls the whole "you guys sing 75% of the song" bit. Aside from the necessity of playing most of TWL, the rest of the songs were pretty much a basic Wilco sampler; it felt like they were promoting the album, despite most of the audience having preordered it already or purchased it in the lobby. I guess I was missing the little things the "modern" Wilco does that make them more than just a band or a concert, and strangely enough now I know exactly what those are after seeing a show largely without them.