That film was made in 1965-1966. You can watch it on Youtube. This is the first time it has been released in any sort of commercial format (I think).

Oh, cool. I was unaware of it until I saw that article on the playlist this morning.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

• 2 weeks later...

The sound is pretty good. They rock their balls off, for sure. And Charlie is POUNDING.

Also, the lyrics are not as cringeworthy as they have been recently. Still not even close to anything Tattoo You or before.

It's easy to get excited about a song that is their best in 25 years, when everything else over that time period has sucked as hard as their releases have.

But, that said, there is stuff to like here.

I like it. Far better than you'd expect at their ripe old age. I hear a bit of the riff from Deep Purple's "My Woman From Tokyo". And there's another familiar riff/melody in there which is on the tip of the tongue and driving me nuts because I can't think of it. Someone help me out here..

Got it - the refrain just before the chorus reminds me of the refrain just before the chorus in "The Ace of Spades" by Motorhead. Drums at the start of the song have the same feel as prime ZZ Top too.

God I am getting old. Everybody I meet looks like someone I know and every song I hear has familiar parts

Now there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

Charlie is pounding the shit out of the drums and Keef is riffing.

Nice.

LOVE the intro - the "weave" with Keef & Ronnie is good stuff. Maybe a bit formulaic, but solid nonetheless.

LOVE the intro - the "weave" with Keef & Ronnie is good stuff. Maybe a bit formulaic, but solid nonetheless.

When you wrote the forumla that everybody else copies, you probably get carte blance to use it as you see fit

I think this was discussed earlier in this thread, but I got The Brussels Affair a few months ago and my God, is that good!

Say what you will about Brian Jones or Ronnie Wood, but when the Stones lost Mick Taylor, they really took a hit.

Taylor & Richards just shine on that performance.

I too believe that, musically speaking at least, the Taylor Era is the cream of the crop. BUT - Beggars is still my favorite. :P

BUT - Beggars is still my favorite. :P

I go back and forth between Beggars and Let it Bleed (though Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request are the ones I listen to the most). Everything through Exile is golden. But I must confess I have never had much interest in listening to their post-72 stuff with the exception of Some Girls and a few tracks here and there.

--Mike

I go back and forth between Beggars and Let it Bleed (though Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request are the ones I listen to the most). Everything through Exile is golden. But I must confess I have never had much interest in listening to their post-72 stuff with the exception of Some Girls and a few tracks here and there.

--Mike

Goats Head Soup is actually not a bad record at all. The production is a tad spotty, but the performances are really strong and there are some real gems on there. Keith was riffing and Mick T. was soaring. I used to really slag off on it, but time and tide have afforded me a perspective that allows me to appreciate this record more..

However, It's Only Rock 'N Roll is the absolute nadir...until you get to BLACK AND BLUE.

Goats Head Soup is actually not a bad record at all. The production is a tad spotty, but the performances are really strong and there are some real gems on there. Keith was riffing and Mick T. was soaring. I used to really slag off on it, but time and tide have afforded me a perspective that allows me to appreciate this record more..

However, It's Only Rock 'N Roll is the absolute nadir...until you get to BLACK AND BLUE.

II will have to listen to Goat's Head Soup again, I haven't heard that record all the way through in a long time.

Compare this to Sir Paul's latest release.

Dylan is the only other artist of that generation making new music that isn't a curio piece.

Goat's Head is only looked at as "bad" when you look at the previous 5-6 LPs that came before it. I actually like some of it quite a bit - esp. Dancing With Mr. D. Only RxR is pretty bad, minus the title track of course (Keef's riffs at the end of RxR is some of my fave shit he's ever done), but Black & Blue is just about completely unlistenable to me.

Compare this to Sir Paul's latest release.

Dylan is the only other artist of that generation making new music that isn't a curio piece.

Although he started a couple years later I would add Tom Waits. Wait's recent output has been storming, superior to any other oldie out there..even old Bob.

Goat's Head is only looked at as "bad" when you look at the previous 5-6 LPs that came before it. I actually like some of it quite a bit - esp. Dancing With Mr. D. Only RxR is pretty bad, minus the title track of course (Keef's riffs at the end of RxR is some of my fave shit he's ever done), but Black & Blue is just about completely unlistenable to me.

The first side is great, the second side has Silver Train and Winter.

The sound of that album is pretty good I think.

I read somewhere that is a drum machine we hear on the new song - and not Charlie.

The first side is great, the second side has Silver Train and Winter.

The sound of that album is pretty good I think.

I read somewhere that is a drum machine we hear on the new song - and not Charlie.

Charlie is a machine.

Did you see Jeff Lynne special on Paladia....part when they talk about when he produced new beatles song (Free as a bird) and he wanted Ringo to use a click track and Ricngo said "I am the Click Track"

I'ma stick up here a little bit for all three of the mid-70's albums. I used to feel the same way as many people do - that they represented the nadir of the Stones, that they're unlistenable, etc...

But really, after years of listening to them on and off, they're good. Not great, by any means, but they're good. And taken out of the immediacy of critical reviews that occurred at the time, they're mostly fun and enjoyable. I think that's a huge problem with many different records over the years (not just the Stones' records) --- there's an important critical or cultural reason to HATE what the band has just done, and so the album gets stamped by critics a certain way, and that's just how it is, in perpetuity.

Goat's Head Soup to me would be so much better if another song led it off, because DWMD, while interesting, is just so slow and murky. It kind of poisons the atmosphere of the album, even though the actual song itself is good. The only song on the whole album that is hard to listen to is Can You Hear The Music, and even that's more due to sounding really out of place than it being a bad song, per se. But it's not a terribly innovative album, and that was a first for them, so the critics looked at it as an obvious marking-time album.

It's Only Rock & Roll suffers from the same lead song issue as Goat's Head Soup, and compounds it with a needless Temptations cover. After that, what's the problem? The title track, Time Waits, and Fingerprint File are all excellent. The rest of the songs are different, but not really bad.

Black & Blue has a top 5 Rolling Stones guitar solo, three really entertaining guitar workouts, one good ballad, one average ballad, and a stinking reggae cover.

Really, I don't think there was a Stones album that approached unlistenable until Undercover. And even that had a couple of decent highlights. But I'm willing to blame that (and Dirty Work and Steel Wheels) on 80s production values as much as the band.