I always liked Black and Blue, with the exception of Melody. Recently I watched a 76 show from Paris - enjoyed the live Hot Stuff - stupid lyrics, but I like the vamp and watching Keith and Mick sing it.

Me too. Hand of Fate is a great tune. I like Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama too.....

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

I find it interesting that the top two threads at the moment are the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Followed in close succession by the Who, Neil Young and the Dead.

Still alot of interest in the dinosaur groups.

edit- In fact on the music discussions every group mentioned is over ten years old including the Lips and the Black Crowes. Somehow I miss the VC buzz band discussions of yesteryear. Could it be that there simplyl arent that many interesting new bands or is the VC demograhic aged out of interest in bands that catch our attention for a year or two or three and then disappear?

LouieB

That's a very good observation, Lou. While there is still plenty of new music, I really enjoy, I find myself constantly going back to the 65-73 sweet spot (and most of the new bands I love have typically seem to have roots in this era of music) and have been in a stage where I am more interested in reading and talking about The Who, Neil Young, The Stones etc. than the Allah-Las or Ty Segall. 

In those buzz band discussions, I was in college and at that period I wanted to hear everything people were talking about. I would load up on everything from Sufjan to Animal Collective to Kanye. And I found I'd usually only listen those to discs a few times and then I'd be ready to go on to the next one. I wasn't really absorbing it. So I've slowed down my consumption a lot and now I try to give every new record I get at least two weeks where it's the primary thing I hear and I have old favorites I revisit a lot as well. 

To give this Stones content, I listened to Beggars Banquet to and from work today. Street Fighting Man is not conducive to desk job productivity. 

--Mike

A conversation at work the other night:

Me: So...GOD is gonna sit in tonight with The Stones

Andy (co-worker): Nice. What do you think they'll play?

Me: Well, it'll definitely be some kind of blues they're all familiar with. Probably Little Red Rooster, but I'm hoping for something like Champagne & Reefer. I love that tune.

Thanks, guys! :thumbup

Little Red Rooster with Brian on slide is a pretty cool thing to see/hear.

Second night setlist (11/29/2012):

Get Off of My Cloud
I Wanna Be Your Man
(The Beatles cover)
The Last Time
(first live performance since 18 July 1998)
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
(with Florence Welch)
Lady Jane
(first live performance since 17 April 1967)
Champagne & Reefer
(Muddy Waters cover) (with Eric Clapton)
Live With Me
Miss You
One More Shot
Doom and Gloom
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
(with Bill Wyman)
Honky Tonk Women
(with Bill Wyman) (followed by band introductions)
Before They Make Me Run
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Happy
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Midnight Rambler
(with Mick Taylor)
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil
Encore:
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(with the London Youth Choir)
Jumpin' Jack Flash
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

From what I have been reading, Keith's playing is better than it has been in years. 

I've read the same thing. To me, that is just a polite way of saying that Keith's playing isn't very good. Check out Honky Tonk W from the first show in youtube. Yikes. 

This from the second night is pretty damn good:

Wow, she is badass. I am not very familiar with Florence and the Machine, but that was like Florence Welch featuring the Rollling Stones. Any women on here can also attest that the dancing she does in those heels is pretty badass too. Nice performance.

Wow, she is badass. I am not very familiar with Florence and the Machine, but that was like Florence Welch featuring the Rollling Stones. Any women on here can also attest that the dancing she does in those heels is pretty badass too. Nice performance.

Indeed

The band is sounding fantastic on that one!  I am just a huge Ron Wood fan, and it is weird seeing him play a Les Paul instead of his usual strats and Zemaitis guitars.  The entire band is like 5% body fat.  Makes me feel like Leslie West when I'm on stage.

...The entire band is like 5% body fat.  Makes me feel like Leslie West when I'm on stage.

Being in the Stones is like being under some magical no-weight-gain spell.  Jagger is in ridiculously good shape for his age.  But as soon as you leave the band the spell is broken - witness Mick Taylor who looks like a normal 63 year old guy.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards will do the 'Top 10 List' on 'David Letterman'

Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger and Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards will present the “Top 10 List” on "Late Show With David Letterman" on December 11, 2012. CBS will televise the episode that night at 11:35 p.m. Eastern Time.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mick-jagger-and-keith-richards-will-do-the-top-10-list-on-david-letterman

I guess Bruce, Laday GaGa, and The Black Keys are the next guests. I get the first one, the other two I don't. But - Mick has always stayed current.

The Rolling Stones

Brooklyn

December 8, 2012

Get Off Of My Cloud
I Wanna Be Your Man
The Last Time
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (with Mary J. Blige)
Wild Horses
Going Down (with Gary Clark, Jr)
All Down The Line
Miss You
One More Shot
Doom And Gloom
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band presentations
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Wow - great performance except Florence Welch. She confuses screaming with singing here :) Way,way over the top. Seen her live in a small venue and thought she could recite the yellow ages and still make it sounds good. She proves me wrong here.

Mick looks like a speed freak whose taken up long-distance cycling to shed that difficult last 2 % of body fat. Just shows you that a lifetime of shagging anything that moves and mincing it up royally on stage is incredible for the physique :)

The Stones were on fire last night!  It was far better than I was expecting and seemed to me better than the times I've seen them throughout the 90s.  I thought Ronnie was particularly hot with his solos, probably better than I've ever heard him.  I love how he makes his Tele sound like a pedal steel without using a slide, how does he do that?  Such a great country rock twang, as much of a Mick Taylor fan as I am, Ronnie really did justice to Mick's parts on Dead Flowers, Happy, Tumblin' Dice, etc.

But when Taylor came out, holy shit, taking it to another level!  I guess he got over his shyness from way back then, he was stepping out and leading the band with seemingly no uncertainty.  He made Midnight Rambler blaze.  What I would not have given to have him sit in for the rest of the show, now that would've be amazing.

Guests:  umm, Lady Gaga?  Yeah it was kinda bad, but whatever, she went for it all out and what better to do when you are sitting in with The Stones?  Bruce looked like it was the best night of his life.  Now there is a dude who actually deserves a sit in as a kind of lifetime achievement in rock 'n' roll award.  Black Keys were cool, I loved how the band made the guests welcome, it must be a little intimidating sitting in with the Stones.  Gary Clark Jr. sounded good and John Mayer didn't make a fool of himself, so all in all pretty good.

I loved seeing Keef emotional with the love he received.  It looked genuine and sincerely grateful to me.

I think with the Stones, its a real precarious set of circumstances or a real thin dividing line that can make their performances either amazing or kinda flat.  The songs are simple and basic, more about riffs and rhythms, so it really has to cook to be good.  But when they do get cooking, locked in and hitting the grooves hard, they seem like a freight train.  It can take them a while to get warmed up, but when they do, its pretty unstoppable.  A lot of similarities to the Dead there, I think.  That was a stunningly good performance for a band who are a bunch of 70 year old men!  How fucking great to have the Stones proving it still, there is a reason they are called the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band.  Its inspiring and awesome to me to see them doing what Count Basie, Duke Ellington and all those jazz dudes did, playing until they physically cannot do it anymore.  God bless the Rolling Stones!

The Stones were on fire last night!  It was far better than I was expecting and seemed to me better than the times I've seen them throughout the 90s.  I thought Ronnie was particularly hot with his solos, probably better than I've ever heard him.  I love how he makes his Tele sound like a pedal steel without using a slide, how does he do that?  Such a great country rock twang, as much of a Mick Taylor fan as I am, Ronnie really did justice to Mick's parts on Dead Flowers, Happy, Tumblin' Dice, etc.

But when Taylor came out, holy shit, taking it to another level!  I guess he got over his shyness from way back then, he was stepping out and leading the band with seemingly no uncertainty.  He made Midnight Rambler blaze.  What I would not have given to have him sit in for the rest of the show, now that would've be amazing.

Guests:  umm, Lady Gaga?  Yeah it was kinda bad, but whatever, she went for it all out and what better to do when you are sitting in with The Stones?  Bruce looked like it was the best night of his life.  Now there is a dude who actually deserves a sit in as a kind of lifetime achievement in rock 'n' roll award.  Black Keys were cool, I loved how the band made the guests welcome, it must be a little intimidating sitting in with the Stones.  Gary Clark Jr. sounded good and John Mayer didn't make a fool of himself, so all in all pretty good.

I loved seeing Keef emotional with the love he received.  It looked genuine and sincerely grateful to me.

I think with the Stones, its a real precarious set of circumstances or a real thin dividing line that can make their performances either amazing or kinda flat.  The songs are simple and basic, more about riffs and rhythms, so it really has to cook to be good.  But when they do get cooking, locked in and hitting the grooves hard, they seem like a freight train.  It can take them a while to get warmed up, but when they do, its pretty unstoppable.  A lot of similarities to the Dead there, I think.  That was a stunningly good performance for a band who are a bunch of 70 year old men!  How fucking great to have the Stones proving it still, there is a reason they are called the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band.  Its inspiring and awesome to me to see them doing what Count Basie, Duke Ellington and all those jazz dudes did, playing until they physically cannot do it anymore.  God bless the Rolling Stones!

I just love everything about this post. 

i need some assistance.  i want to get the first stones record, but i don't know if i should get the US or UK pressing.  this seems to be the case with everything up to Satanic Majesties.  anybody got some advice?

I didn't pay much attention to your post until yesterday evening when I mail-ordered three Rolling Stones albums.

The U.K. track list of Between the Buttons is very different from the U.S. track list, I ended up ordering the American edition because it contained the songs I wanted (the U.K. alternative was Flowers).

For a time I considered buying GRRR instead of these three separate purchases.

I read some pros and cons: it appears as though the sound quality on GRRR is extraordinary and hasn't been affected by loudness. However, the main reason why I didn't buy this are the versions that appear on GRRR, which according to some commentators are not the same as the album versions. Another deterrent was the price of the box set and its design which seems to me bulky for just three CDs of content.