• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

Thanks for review Shug! Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knockin last night with Mick Taylor! That's big news in Stones world.

I read that this morning and started pounding the desk with my fist in frustration (that I missed it) AND excitement (that they did it at last). And they did it one show after the show I saw! Aaarrrgggghhhh!!!! My two favorite Mick Taylor songs in addition to Rambler. They should have been doing this all along, goddammit!

vids embedded in this thread http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1841531,page=19

Looks like I'll be going to see them again if they do another US leg in the fall....

• 2 weeks later...

That's it I'm fucking going.

So how's was the show?  Looks like you got to see a Can't you hear me Knocking, too.  Was offered a Monday ticket, but I passed, proberly will be kicking myself.

I read that this morning and started pounding the desk with my fist in frustration (that I missed it) AND excitement (that they did it at last). And they did it one show after the show I saw! Aaarrrgggghhhh!!!! My two favorite Mick Taylor songs in addition to Rambler. They should have been doing this all along, goddammit!

vids embedded in this thread http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1841531,page=19

Looks like I'll be going to see them again if they do another US leg in the fall....

Shug, are you a member of the IORR community?

Guest Jules

So how's was the show?  Looks like you got to see a Can't you hear me Knocking, too.  Was offered a Monday ticket, but I passed, proberly will be kicking myself.

Oh I enjoyed it very much thanks.  Can't You Hear Me Knocking with Mick Taylor was definitely a highlight.

I was surprised to learn they have been doing

.  That's probably my favorite Keith song.

Another highlight.  One of my favorite moments of the night.  Just Keith and Ronnie out front.

Shug, are you a member of the IORR community?

Yeah, I have posted over there a few times since the tour started. I'd never checked it out before, though. Hope I didn't say anything that pissed you off... :)

So last night it was Taylor Swift as the "special guest." Before that, this tour has, um, featured such luminaries as Katy Perry, Mary J. Blige, Gwen Stefani, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, Dave Grohl and John Mayer. I cannot honestly think of a single syllable of Stones music I would want to hear any of these people sing. Have the Stones officially jumped the shark?

Yeah, I have posted over there a few times since the tour started. I'd never checked it out before, though. Hope I didn't say anything that pissed you off... :)

I'm a member of two years, under the same name. I don't take any of the smart remarks on their too seriously so don't worry. Its StonesTod and Max'sKC you have to look out for haha

So last night it was Taylor Swift as the "special guest." Before that, this tour has, um, featured such luminaries as Katy Perry, Mary J. Blige, Gwen Stefani, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, Dave Grohl and John Mayer. I cannot honestly think of a single syllable of Stones music I would want to hear any of these people sing. Have the Stones officially jumped the shark?

I'd say that is mostly Mick's doing. He seems to keep current, and wants to know about who's big at the moment.

I never heard a Taylor Swift song until recently. I don't get it, but that's how it goes.

There's such a thing as keeping relevant, and then there is tainting your own legacy. Based on the many negative comments about this trend that I have seen fans posting on Facebook  -- e.g., "We want more Mick Taylor, not ______ (fill in name of special guest here)" -- this has been quite a bad idea. I know for myself, if I paid these guys a hundred dollars an hour as a fan, I wouldn't want any of that time going to lightweights like Taylor Swift or Gwen Stefani.

Damn. When you line 'em all up like that it certainly gives one pause, doesn't it? I can see a few of those but I'll tell you what (and no offense intended to anyone who's a fan) - if I would have been there and saw that fucking Barbie Doll come out and sing on that tune I would've walked straight to the box office, demanded my money back, and ended up in handcuffs most likely. Repre-fucking-hensible. WTF? Is Marianne dead?

They also had Taj Mahal.  The real reason they jumped the shark is the ticket prices which has been discussed all other the place.  That being said I am excited to go see them in Philly later this month.'

I think the thing with Mick Taylor is that 2-3 songs per night is the amount where it is like a "special guest" and not a full on member (which would in a sense disrespect Woody maybe).  Plus they basically told Wyman to pound pavement on this tour (he said he was up for a guest spot).

It's really all about the Benjamin's for them.

Since 89 (even back in 81), Jagger has invited guests or current acts to open up for them, who are/were popular at the time - unfortunately, the people who sell lots and lots of records these days - pretty much suck (Ga Ga , Swift, etc...).

I agree with Suites - the ticket prices are what sucks, I can deal with a tune with Swift or Ga Ga - actually I thought Ga Ga was kinda fun to watch. I had family members who went to  the Monday, Chicago show -- they said that the As Tears Go By with Swift wasn't "too" bad. I was kinda of impressed with the Stones fans - I didn't hear any boo's from the youtube clip that I saw.  Reading people's initial reaction to the Swift news, I thought there would be a Prince type reaction that occurred back in 81.

Yeah, I guess the ticket prices are the worst of the whole thing. I don't know if I would go to the extreme my buddy mountain bed mentioned - storming the box office - but I would honestly feel deflated during a tune or two by those aforementioned guests. Good time for a piss break. :lol

Now, some of them have been fine: Taj Mahal, Tom Waits, Bonnie Raitt. I just cherry picked what I see as "the worst of the lot" in my post. But where are Buddy Guy, or Clapton, or fucking McCartney? Hell, Kenny Wayne Shepherd would be a step in the right direction. At least have guests who rock. Oh well, enough out of me...

Dave Grohl definitely rocked, even if you might not like him or his playing.  I feel lucky to have gotten that sit in, although I'd MUCH have preferred night #2 in LA with Mick Taylor on Sway and Hear Me Knockin'.

But yeah, itd be so much better if they had their peers/heroes sit in instead of current pop stars.  If Keef was choosing 'em, it'd def. be a different story.  No question that Mick is choosing the guests.

Having guests like these is a Gene Simmons-esque move.  They think the younger generations are going to forget about them if they don't tie themselves to acts that appeal to children.