I didn't pay much attention to your post until yesterday evening when I mail-ordered three Rolling Stones albums.

The U.K. track list of Between the Buttons is very different from the U.S. track list, I ended up ordering the American edition because it contained the songs I wanted (the U.K. alternative was Flowers).

For a time I considered buying GRRR instead of these three separate purchases.

I read some pros and cons: it appears as though the sound quality on GRRR is extraordinary and hasn't been affected by loudness. However, the main reason why I didn't buy this are the versions that appear on GRRR, which according to some commentators are not the same as the album versions. Another deterrent was the price of the box set and its design which seems to me bulky for just three CDs of content.

well, the 2002 ABCKO U.S. and U.K. editions probably have the best sound of any CD release.  i think i heard that the Grrr! set uses those masterings, so you won't get the loudness.  however, everything in their catalogue, post-Sticky Fingers is Universal and the 2009 remasters are terrible.  i believe that is what is used on Grrr.

what i did was buy CD versions of Between The Buttons (U.K.), Aftermath (U.K.), Sticky Fingers (2009, unfortunately), Exile On Main Street (2-disc Deluxe), Some Girls (2-disc deluxe), Beggars Banquet (2002 remaster) and Let It Bleed (2002 remaster).  all i need to do now is buy the 3-disc Grrr said (around $20) and i'll have all of the tracks on the U.S. versions of Aftermath and BTB that i was missing (because, honestly, why would you not by the original U.K. albums when the U.S. are simply rejiggered tracklistings that delete album tracks and add tracks that were meant to be non-album singles?  there is a reason the U.K. Beatles albums are canon).  i'll also have most of the good singles from not-so good albums (the few early ones and the later-day ones).

-justin

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

I was going to pass on the Grrr set, but  Amazon(UK) had it (the 50 song/3 cd version) for sale on Blu-ray. After shipping/tax it came out to be $23.00 or so - cheaper than I saw it in CD format.

The sound on the Blu-ray is great - not as bright as the SACDs - though I think the sound on the SACDs are great.

The post ABKCO songs sound great in high rez, too, especially on head phones.

My brother in law saw the PPV show and he thought they sounded great - I haven't seen it yet - hopefully this weekend - he recorded it.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of interviews, an Interview with Charlie (not many of those around, I wouldn't think):

Charlie Watts Glastonbury? I don't want to do it.

Really nice interview, but it was a bit sad that there needed to be a footnote in the story explaining who Brian Jones was.

We are living in the time of the passing of the musical Giants of the Rock generation. Soon, it will cease to be memory and become the fodder of history books.

I noticed those footnotes and found it a bit odd, too - but I guess the common reader/fan might not know - which is sad, but it is what is. It's good that the paper wrote "founder".

I am going to for tongue pit tickets this Monday. Those aren't worth $600 or whatever they are charging, but I am at least going to try. Doubt I'll get them anyway.

Really nice interview, but it was a bit sad that there needed to be a footnote in the story explaining who Brian Jones was.

We are living in the time of the passing of the musical Giants of the Rock generation. Soon, it will cease to be memory and become the fodder of history books.

That makes me think of some of the headlines about the passing of Tony Sheridan a while back that referred to him as the "Beatles frontman".

• 4 weeks later...

"Last week the band said it was dropping the price of thousands of premium seats – "flexing" in industry parlance – rather than play to half-empty arenas. The situation was so dire, one insider revealed, that the band's own allotment of tickets was released because of a lack of requests."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/04/rolling-stones-face-pay-cut-ticket-prices-slashed

Good gravy. I just checked United Center (Chicago) for tickets, and found 2 in section 102 (side section, row 4, seats 9-10) for $622 each!!

Who is buying these seats??

Yeah - I am hoping that they will release a bunch of $85 tickets closer to the show dates - the prices are ridiculous.

Agree with the Emotional Rescue - I do enjoy that song, but I only got through about a minute of the LA debut and I had to turn it off.

(Lefsetz is a douche)

Lefsetz has been hammering them on the ticket prices. If they play Emotional Rescue again, people should ask for their money back.

LOL. Yeah. The only version I've ever heard that I liked was Phish 9/30/00, and it was more for the amusement factor than anything else. You should check it out, Aman, for what happens after the actual song than anything else - it's truly bizarre in a way only Phish can do.

Lefsetz does make some points but the Stones are still making out well.  The promoter may take a big hit.  I think he is little off when he talks about the performance (he added another blog today).  Saying Keith plays like a 6 year old.

I am going to see the show in Philly with my 20 year old and looking forward to it.

There was an article on Billboard yesterday saying the ticket problems were not true. I have to say Lefsetz is not the only place I read that - as posted above by our friend from across the sea.

There were reports that Keith was actually playing this time around, and not merely posing with his guitar. But I have also read that his playing is crap.

I listen to about half of the Oakland show, decent sounding tape, the 2nd source - performance was just okay - a bit of plodding along.

I haven't bothered to read any of Lefsetz's pieces on the recent tour, perhaps I should, but I am sure it's the same old predictable crap that he always writes.

Pete Sears was at the LA show and said both Keef and Ronnie were in fine form. Of course he hung out backstage with both of them before the show so he may have had his attitude adjusted a bit.  :rolleyes

Going through some boxes in the garage, I came across the below, today - bought it the 1st time I saw the Stones, in 89. I don't remember the tickets being too bad, though I was making about $3.50 an hour.  I think they were less than $40 or so, maybe even less than $30. Anyway below is a bandana.

il_fullxfull.434752946_3ety.jpg

To think, they're nearly 25 years on from the "Steel Wheelchairs" jokes regarding that tour.

Yep, I remember those jokes. I think Letterman had a bunch of bits on them.

Good gravy. I just checked United Center (Chicago) for tickets, and found 2 in section 102 (side section, row 4, seats 9-10) for $622 each!!

Who is buying these seats??

Nobody I guess, which is why they are still there. And I would think anybody on the fence already will now be holding out for the $85 tickets. Would love to see them one last time but when ticket prices were announced, I lost interest.

Nobody I guess, which is why they are still there. And I would think anybody on the fence already will now be holding out for the $85 tickets. Would love to see them one last time but when ticket prices were announced, I lost interest.

Well someone is buying the $600 seats, because that's why the ones I found weren't even on the floor.

The nice thing is, on ticketmaster, right next to the $600 seats, the Stones are selling the MP3 of their Grrrr album. For only $27.11. Such a deal. Nevermind on Amazon you can get it for less than $20.

I guess I'm late to the high-price ticket party. I had no idea. Figured they would be expensive, but I was thinking they would top out at $250. 

Oh, but let's not forget the hospitality package, which for $2000 per person, also gets you a VIP entrance (someone holds the door for you - obviously a steal at twice the price), pre-show buffet dinner - specially selected menu (bring on the salisbury steak! scrumptious!), bar (wine, beer, beverages) and wait staff service, exclusive merchandise item, official tour program, collectible laminate and onsite check-in staff. All of that is worth the extra $1,400, undoubtedly.