I wonder if you have any say so re the set list when you pay $2 million for a private show...

I'd definitely request Far Away Eyes, with me singing alongside.

That and 2,000 Light Years From Home.

And definitely Starfucker.

Oh, and Undercover of the Night

And Monkey Man.

OK, and Live with Me.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

....We Love You->Obsession

I don't buy that head full of snow doesn't refer to coke, though. I mean, loneliness and coke abuse aren't mutually exclusive topics, Mick.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my initial take on that line too, or it'll fuck me all up. Actually, as I was reading that part, I was saying to myself "I almost feel like I shouldn't be reading this...."

Micks story could also be revisionist song writing. I thought it was about coke and the road. Mick has kids and grand kids etc... And might be trying to clean up his past for them. Arnold and Bette Midler have tried, why not Mick?

That's actually a pretty nice set.

What songs stand out? Seems like a pretty standard greatest hits radio friendly set. I don't think it would be possible to have a bad set of Stones songs, but for $2 million you'd think they could bust out Torn and Frayed.

What songs stand out? Seems like a pretty standard greatest hits radio friendly set. I don't think it would be possible to have a bad set of Stones songs, but for $2 million you'd think they could bust out Torn and Frayed.

Was thinking the same with Torn and Frayed! Also, I would have had them play about 60 more songs....

I keep looking at the Stones tickets available for the Orlando show, but no way I can pull the trigger. I have never seen 'em, but there is a part of me that says that ship has sailed. The prices are just ungodly: $87.00 for a nosebleed seat, and they're going to play what, 20 songs (two of them shitty ones). If I had the dough, I'd be there on the floor ($424 for that one), but I have to put my $ into my business now. Oh well. Have fun, anyone who is going to catch them on this tour. Wouldn't mind a report here...

....We Love You->Obsession

Obsession is such a deliciously weird tune. Druggy as hell, without any really overt psychedelic trappings. 

Obsession is such a deliciously weird tune. Druggy as hell, without any really overt psychedelic trappings. 

I think you can say the same for Please Go Home. Though the 'home' echo is pretty overt -- good tune though.

I'd assume the request from the moneyman was please keep it very hits-heavy.

Hell - the whole Between the Buttons record would be cool - one of my favorites.

My first. Had the Lp when I was 11 or so. Got it from the folks I babysat for.

And, I'd totally pay $87 for nosebleed seats, as I have never seen them before, either. They still kick major ass, imo.

My sister and brother in law are heading down to Nashville to catch them --- I still can't bring myself to pay the prices to see them this time around. I have seen them in the past, though.

With regards to the whole 'snow' lyric - I don't know - I don't think cocaine was so prevalent in the band back in 1970 or as much as it was in later on. I am sure it was around, though.

Jagger is still pretty open on his past drug use and in a recent interview advocated legalization of all drugs. So I don't think he would be trying to cover up anything.

I always assumed it was about cocaine, too.

With regards to the whole 'snow' lyric - I don't know - I don't think cocaine was so prevalent in the band back in 1970 or as much as it was in later on. I am sure it was around, though.

Read Sam Cutler's book...;)

Read Sam Cutler's book... ;)

I did -- guess I must have forgot what he wrote. I just can't see Jagger lying about such things: meaning of lyrics or reasoning behind them - esp. while talking about the "head filled with snow" lyric.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice piece on Sticky Fingers.  Went to a Best Buy and a Target to look for the re-release and neither of them had it -- man, I miss actual record stores.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2015/06/sticky_fingers_by_the_rolling_stones_one_of_the_greatest_albums_in_rock.html

Sticky Fingers ends with perhaps the strangest and most unique recording in the Rolling Stones’ entire catalogue, the haunting, modal epic “Moonlight Mile.” “Moonlight Mile” is an intoxicating mix of exotic and intimate, a song that builds a studied and stately distance, then collapses it with an immediacy as forceful as this band ever mustered. Jagger’s vocal drifts in and out of falsetto, his words stark and impressionistic: “When the wind blows and the rain feels cold/ with a head full of snow,” a line too pretty to be about drugs, which means it’s almost certainly about drugs. By the time enormous slabs of electric guitar start crashing into the track like thunderbolts, nearly 3½ minutes in, you’ve almost forgotten what you’re listening to.

I ordered the new one from Amazon (which is where I got the Exile re-issue). That seems to be the way it goes these days. I hope the sound is better than what they came up with on the Exile re-master. 

Walmart may have it. That is where I found all the recent Zeppelin re-masters. 

I ordered the new one from Amazon (which is where I got the Exile re-issue). That seems to be the way it goes these days. I hope the sound is better than what they came up with on the Exile re-master. 

Walmart may have it. That is where I found all the recent Zeppelin re-masters. 

Yeah - I ended up going the Amazon route, too.  My area is in the Sunday deliveries pilot program - see it if works.

Heard the actual album doesn't sound great (too loud like Exile) --- Disc 2 is suppose sound good, though. Wish they would just release Disc 2 as a stand-alone. Think this is about my 5th copy or so of Sticky Fingers - my first was on 8-track. My record is still at my parents.