Mick looked like a fucking clown. But the band sounded good.

I think you meant Lefty Dizz - Mick was just being Mick.

Caught bits and pieces - it was cool watching them stroll in and sit down at the table. Also cool to see Ian Stewart.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

I was watching a Rory Gallagher documentary the other day - and there was a part in the film where they talked about him playing with the Rolling Stones. I'd forgotten that he auditioned as a possible replacement for Mick Taylor. That must have been an odd thing to hear and/or see.

well, some of those acts have had a bit of successful longevity (Calexico, for example).

the bands you should have been talking about in 2006, that are still on top of their game and some of them making classics: The Tallest Man On Earth , Band of Horses, The Decemberists (i know they were mentioned earlier), TV On The Radio and (especially the last two), The National and Grizzly Bear.

-justin

Muddy looked and sounded great, Keef looked wasted and super cool, the Checkerboard looked exactly the same in 1992 when I used to go there. I gotta get a recording of that show.

I was watching a Rory Gallagher documentary the other day - and there was a part in the film where they talked about him playing with the Rolling Stones. I'd forgotten that he auditioned as a possible replacement for Mick Taylor. That must have been an odd thing to hear and/or see.

When Micheal Schenker was on TMS last season he mentioned that he had a call about an audition for the job. Which he (wisely) passed on. WTF - the guy was like 18 years old then. Fantastic player, but that band would've ate him up.

When Micheal Schenker was on TMS last season he mentioned that he had a call about an audition for the job. Which he (wisely) passed on. WTF - the guy was like 18 years old then. Fantastic player, but that band would've ate him up.

I've never heard that before.

That would have never worked.

It seems like every guitarist auditioned... Schenker in the Stones - That's rich.

I wonder if he actually meant his Aerosmith audition. I read about that in the book Walk This Way.

I've always heard that Keith is not necessary fond of flashy guitar players. I would think Jeff Beck playing at the show the other night was due to his friendship with Mick.

i need some assistance.  i want to get the first stones record, but i don't know if i should get the US or UK pressing.  this seems to be the case with everything up to Satanic Majesties.  anybody got some advice?

Thanx

I would stick the UK version - their version of Mona is great -  it was replaced with Not Fade Away for the U.S. release. Their version of Not Fade Away is readily available on various other records, not to mention hearing on classic radio station. 

I think you would be safe buying all the UK versions first.

I would stick the UK version - their version of Mona is great -  it was replaced with Not Fade Away for the U.S. release. Their version of Not Fade Away is readily available on various other records, not to mention hearing on classic radio station. 

I think you would be safe buying all the UK versions first.

cool.  i really like their version of not fade away though :-)  it seems the uk versions are the way to go and then get a singles set or something.

btw, is beggar's banquet awesome or what!  i don't know why, but i've been playing the shit out of that lately.  on first listen it seems a bit shoddy, besides streetfighting and sympathy.  but the other songs reveal themselves to be so great.  those kids had balls to fill a rock album with several acoustic blues numbers.

also, i really liked bigger bang, but i cannot stand any of teh 90s stuff.

Not Fade Away is on Big Hits  (High Times and Green Grass) and More Hot Rocks (big hits & fazed cookies) - both of these should be a lot cheaper than the Single box set and more readily available.

I think I have all the remaster ABKCO SACD releases, with the exception of the Singles box set. I remember seeing the Singles set at my local used store last year, but didn't purchase it - it pretty damn expensive now in the resale market.

Recently,  I purchased an original UK London label CD of Aftermath (one of my favorite of theirs) for 6 bucks or so - it sounds better than the remaster.

I wonder if he actually meant his Aerosmith audition. I read about that in the book Walk This Way.

I've always heard that Keith is not necessary fond of flashy guitar players. I would think Jeff Beck playing at the show the other night was due to his friendship with Mick.

Yeah, he mentioned the Aerosmith audition too. But he did tell Trunk about the Stones thing. I thought it was odd.

cool.  i really like their version of not fade away though :-)  it seems the uk versions are the way to go and then get a singles set or something.

btw, is beggar's banquet awesome or what!  i don't know why, but i've been playing the shit out of that lately.  on first listen it seems a bit shoddy, besides streetfighting and sympathy.  but the other songs reveal themselves to be so great.  those kids had balls to fill a rock album with several acoustic blues numbers.

also, i really liked bigger bang, but i cannot stand any of teh 90s stuff.

Beggars is my very favorite!

I'll have to see if he is mentioned in the According To. . .The Rolling Stones book. I don't recall seeing his name in there. The bass player auditions are a whole other story. Apparently, even Noel Redding showed up to play.

I don't know much about the albums after Tattoo You, but I like that song Slipping Away (Steal Wheels). That Stripped album is alright.

Undercover (1983)

Dirty Work (1986)

Steel Wheels (1989)

Voodoo Lounge (1994)

Bridges to Babylon (1997)

A Bigger Bang (2005)

My ranking would be: (pretty much in chronicle order)

Undercover (1983)

Voodoo Lounge (1994)

Dirty Work (1986)

Steel Wheels (1989)

Bridges to Babylon (1997)

A Bigger Bang (2005)

I pretty much give each one a spin at least a couple times a year.

I go up to Some Girls. If hard pressed I usually default as Some Girls being my favorite, then Let It Bleed. Beggar's has Salt of the Earth, as song that is a bit too long, otherwise that album is perfect.

In 89, Axl and Izzy performed Salt of the Earth with the Stones in Atlantic City - I thought it was pretty good - the ending gets redundant for me - but seeing Axl and Mick run around the stage is always fun.

Keith's opening lines has always been my favorite part of the song.

Jack White doing "Loving Cup" with the Stones is my favorite. Really nicely done, both he an Mick swapping lyrics. White's voice works really well with the tune, too..

that is cool.  jack looks a little 'too cool', but whatever.  that movies is fun and the sound is so great.  i love just hearing the two guitars, bass and drums and keeping the other instruments low in the mix.  

AMan-i'm with you on those three, and i'd add in sticky fingers.  Some Girls is good as is about half of Tatoo You.  Black and Blue is just so, so bad.