This is the biggest piece of shit ever. I only listened to The Whole Love out of all the albums nominated but thats because everyone else sucks and WILCO is the best. Am I close minded? Yes. Do I care? No. Wilco deserves the grammy. End of story. Im petitioning for a redo! WHO IS WITH ME!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Foo Fighters do always seem to win the rock album grammy when they are nominated. The credibility of some of their prior wins could be argued but Wasting Light is a great album (as is The Whole Love) and definitely not undeserving.

Foos have been nominated for every single release I think. The Grammys are just too stupid to branch out and figure out that the Foos aren't the only band making music that could be categorized as "rock." I actually loved Wasting Light by them but the 3 or 4 releases prior it downright sucked so I'm not sure how they get nominated everytime.

Dave Grohl and company write some pretty catchy rock tunes.

I am not surprised by their win.

That may be, but my most recent exposure to them was seeing them in Boston on their current tour (I went to see Social D, who opened), and in a live context these songs came across as nothing more than amped up arena rock, for better or worse. For me it was worse, I hated them, and I particularly hated Grohl's approach to singing as yelling and screaming. But there was nothing about the music that didn't seem to be middle of the road rock. So that wins them a Grammy? Blah. Doesn't compare to the piece of work that is The Whole Love, from start to finish. My wife accuses me of being biased, of course, but I do listen to a lot of music by a lot of artists, and can recognize good and interesting work. I just don't think Foo Fighters latest is either. That the TWL lost to this burns me.

OK, I feel better now.

That may be, but my most recent exposure to them was seeing them in Boston on their current tour (I went to see Social D, who opened), and in a live context these songs came across as nothing more than amped up arena rock, for better or worse. For me it was worse, I hated them, and I particularly hated Grohl's approach to singing as yelling and screaming. But there was nothing about the music that didn't seem to be middle of the road rock. So that wins them a Grammy? Blah. Doesn't compare to the piece of work that is The Whole Love, from start to finish. My wife accuses me of being biased, of course, but I do listen to a lot of music by a lot of artists, and can recognize good and interesting work. I just don't think Foo Fighters latest is either. That the TWL lost to this burns me.

OK, I feel better now.

I’m glad you are so passionate about this but if you think Wilco really had a chance of winning this, you are delusional. Being charitable and saying that those voting on the award even listened to The Whole Love I would imagine if they made it through the whole album they may find one or two songs they felt were “rock” and quite a few that were WTF?

Arguably what the Foo Fighters provided on their release, as you so aptly put it “But there was nothing about the music that didn't seem to be middle of the road rock” is exactly what the Grammy judges are looking for. I don’t think the intrinsic artistic value of the entire album weighs too heavily in the voting process.

[

That says it all. Too bad, that sucks. Absolutely nothing special about the FF to my ears. Yeesh.

But...but.....they recorded it to 2" tape in Grohl's garage and he's such a cool funny guy.

I'm still wondering as to why they were nominated for best rock album?

B/c they made a rock album. I'd be more inclined to wonder what make The Whole Love not a rock album.

This is what I hate about awards.

So now we have to hate the Foo Fighters (a hard working, earnest and tuneful rock band) because they won an award that most of you professed to not care about?

ReallY?

No, I thought they sucked balls before they won the award.

And you, as a musician, should know the problem with absolute judgements for OR against music.

I’m glad you are so passionate about this but if you think Wilco really had a chance of winning this, you are delusional. Being charitable and saying that those voting on the award even listened to The Whole Love I would imagine if they made it through the whole album they may find one or two songs they felt were “rock” and quite a few that were WTF?

Arguably what the Foo Fighters provided on their release, as you so aptly put it “But there was nothing about the music that didn't seem to be middle of the road rock” is exactly what the Grammy judges are looking for. I don’t think the intrinsic artistic value of the entire album weighs too heavily in the voting process.

Totally correct. Which is why I haven't cared about the Grammys in more years than I can remember. Shouldn't have allowed myself to get sucked in this year, but I think TWL is just so goddamned great that I wanted Wilco to be recognized. And I have a belief that they wanted the win. I will now go back into my usual Grammy's "cone of silence."

i found this one from the red carpet

http://bit.ly/wstii0

Love the ascot and moustache on Mikael. So 40's dapper.

And why on earth is Jeff wearing a hat? If he's going to wear one, at least wear a black hat with a black suit.

Realistically, Wilco never had a chance.

Bon Iver got the trendy, indie cred win this year.

Well, for what it's worth, Rolling Stone said that the odds were on Wilco, 8-5 I think. Which is the only thing that got me thinking they might actually take it. Even despite this, though, I thought it was a long shot.

You know what? Who cares! Obviously I did last night, but I'm over it now. The boys got to go to the grammys, ride in limos and ogle the boobs and sequins on popstars. Maybe it will all inspire some Hotel Arizona-ish lyrics, or at least give Jeff some good banter material.

I certainly don’t hate Foo Fighters, I’m just indifferent to them, and since this site isn’t called “Via Foo Fighters”, it’s reasonable to expect some snarky post-Grammy comments.

Winning awards is nice, but I don’t look to the Grammys to validate my tastes in music, anyway. Therefore, I applaud Foo Fighter’s win, but will I buy their cd? Nah. I may run to the local library and take it out for a week, tho.

Conversely, I’m more than happy to book a hotel, and drive hundreds of miles to see Wilco…I buy virtually anything they put out, and truly love this band, and always will. I’m certainly not alone.

That kind of fan base doesn’t come from winning Grammys.

Well, for what it's worth, Rolling Stone said that the odds were on Wilco, 8-5 I think. Which is the only thing that got me thinking they might actually take it. Even despite this, though, I thought it was a long shot. You know what? Who cares! Obviously I did last night, but I'm over it now. The boys got to go to the grammys, ride in limos and ogle the boobs and sequins on popstars. Maybe it will all inspire some Hotel Arizona-ish lyrics, or at least give Jeff some good banter material.
Well put!