I certainly don’t hate Foo Fighters, I’m just indifferent to them, and since this site isn’t called “Via Foo Fighters”, it’s reasonable to expect some snarky post-Grammy comments.

Winning awards is nice, but I don’t look to the Grammys to validate my tastes in music, anyway. Therefore, I applaud Foo Fighter’s win, but will I buy their cd? Nah. I may run to the local library and take it out for a week, tho.

Conversely, I’m more than happy to book a hotel, and drive hundreds of miles to see Wilco…I buy virtually anything they put out, and truly love this band, and always will. I’m certainly not alone.

That kind of fan base doesn’t come from winning Grammys.

I'm with you!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don’t hate Foo Fighters, I’m just indifferent to them, and since this site isn’t called “Via Foo Fighters”, it’s reasonable to expect some snarky post-Grammy comments.

Winning awards is nice, but I don’t look to the Grammys to validate my tastes in music, anyway. Therefore, I applaud Foo Fighter’s win, but will I buy their cd? Nah. I may run to the local library and take it out for a week, tho.

Conversely, I’m more than happy to book a hotel, and drive hundreds of miles to see Wilco…I buy virtually anything they put out, and truly love this band, and always will. I’m certainly not alone.

Nice. I feel the same. :yes

The boys certainly look dapper in that photo. Everybody's gazing into the middle distance, looking suave, while Mikael (also looking suave) gazes spot on. A handsome band who would look very nice holding shiny gold Grammys, but oh well. Next album.

i found this one from the red carpet

http://bit.ly/wstii0

Jeff looks like a drunk hobo who was walking past a photo shoot of a band whom happen to be missing its frontman but had a suit laying there and said "Hey...homeless guy. Here, put on this suit and jump in this picture real quick" and he agreed under the condition he could leave his hat on.

Jeff looks like a drunk hobo who was walking past a photo shoot of a band whom happen to be missing its frontman but had a suit laying there and said "Hey...homeless guy. Here, put on this suit and jump in this picture real quick" and he agreed under the condition he could leave his hat on.

Funny... he's never been the most stylish guy... this made me laugh

Have you seen his hair "styles" the past year or two?

Agreed...his hair is abysmal.

However, if you are going to wear a hat, don't wear a brown hat with a black suit. Grey maybe, black definitely, but never brown.

I remember reading in a thread about Jeff's banter during a solo show soon after the band's first Grammy nomination. He was dissing the whole award thing and declared that he wasn't going to go on Grammy night. His mom was in the audience and said audibly, "oh yes you are!" I remember that because it's such a mom thing to say!

It's kind of too bad they didn't win last night, but ultimately it doesn't matter. This is a band whose fans operate on their own unique criteria, and such dedication might be an award in itself.

Agreed. Describes my love as well.

Wilco wins because we are the best fans in the world, every one of us.

Jeff Tweedy wins because that post above by Spencer has got to be one of the most enlightened, witty, proud, adorable things a kid at that age could write having any connection to said kids dad. He probably doesn't admit it but he knows his dad is THE man.

Foo Fighters win because... why did they win again? (kidding! Admit I've never heard the record. just not my thing.)

Agreed. Describes my love as well.

Wilco wins because we are the best fans in the world, every one of us.

Jeff Tweedy wins because that post above by Spencer has got to be one of the most enlightened, witty, proud, adorable things a kid at that age could write having any connection to said kids dad. He probably doesn't admit it but he knows his dad is THE man.

Foo Fighters win because... why did they win again? (kidding! Admit I've never heard the record. just not my thing.)

If you've never heard it, then how do you know it is not your thing? It actually isn't a bad album.

A skewering of the Grammys, the awards and the show, here in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/arts/music/at-the-54th-grammy-awards-everything-old-is-praised-again.html?_r=1&src=tp

Of particular note to me, is the (well deserved in my mind) ripping of the Foo Fighters (sorry to the Foo Fighters fans here):

"Also troubling was the domination in the rock categories of Foo Fighters, who took home five awards. In acceptance speeches during both the pretelecast and the main show, the band’s frontman, Dave Grohl, invoked the garage in which it recorded its winning album, “Wasting Light” (Roswell/RCA), and advocated for the “human element” of making music that way, as if no humans were involved in the making of other nominees’ music...Given these choices, the ubiquity of Foo Fighters in award collecting and stage time came as no surprise. The band is dynamics-free and tiresome, not much more than a cover band gone legit, except instead of covering songs (though it does that too, in concert), it covers whole styles, guaranteeing that fans of 1970s hard rock, 1980s hair bands and 1990s post-grunge will all be soothed equally. Its stand-alone performance was middling, and it was also part of the dance-music tragedy, during which it performed the popular Deadmau5 remix of its song “Rope”; its presence came off like baby-sitting.)

A skewering of the Grammys, the awards and the show, here in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?_r=1&src=tp

Of particular note to me, is the (well deserved in my mind) ripping of the Foo Fighters (sorry to the Foo Fighters fans here):

"Also troubling was the domination in the rock categories of Foo Fighters, who took home five awards. In acceptance speeches during both the pretelecast and the main show, the band’s frontman, Dave Grohl, invoked the garage in which it recorded its winning album, “Wasting Light” (Roswell/RCA), and advocated for the “human element” of making music that way, as if no humans were involved in the making of other nominees’ music...Given these choices, the ubiquity of Foo Fighters in award collecting and stage time came as no surprise. The band is dynamics-free and tiresome, not much more than a cover band gone legit, except instead of covering songs (though it does that too, in concert), it covers whole styles, guaranteeing that fans of 1970s hard rock, 1980s hair bands and 1990s post-grunge will all be soothed equally. Its stand-alone performance was middling, and it was also part of the dance-music tragedy, during which it performed the popular Deadmau5 remix of its song “Rope”; its presence came off like baby-sitting.)

couldn't agree more...good stuff.

If you've never heard it, then how do you know it is not your thing? It actually isn't a bad album.

It's a decent album, with some good singles like all of their albums. And I take the awards for what they're worth, but it most certainly wasn't the best rock album I heard last year.

"not a bad album" doesn't really sound like an album deserving of awards or as much praise as some people seem to be giving it.

That NY Times article has one of the best descriptions of the Foo Fighters I've ever heard.

Something tells me that NYT writer would have had less than flattering things to say about Wilco, had they won or performed, as well.

Undoubtedly.

He's basically railing at White Guys with Guitars and English Female Soul singer.

I don't mind the Foo Fighters (although I don't own any of their music) but it was kind of ridiculous how many times they performed on the Grammy's. The songs they played were forgettable. In my opinion, they should have made room for Bon Iver to perform one of their songs instead.

I don't blame him. They should have been able to play one of the songs that they were nominated for. That Beach Boys thing was a failure. My point was that there would have been room for more musicians to perform if they had cut some of the Foo Fighter fest. I think we saw way more than we needed to of Dave Grohl, I know I did.

That's a fair question. I've never heard the latest album but I've heard plenty of Foo Fighters over the years and have always found them bland and forgettable. Same reason I still haven't watched the Tivo of the Grammys. Haven't seen THIS one but I've seen enough. (The Tivo was a 'just in case')