So, part of me likes the fact that Wilco flies under the mainstream radar and I know many of you agree... the no radio play type comments.... that being said, I would really like to see Jeff and the boys take this one home... they deserve it and quite honestly, the music industry could benefit from it as well. I have a good feeling about this one...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It surely is an odd identity the band has.

On one hand, they are proclaimed as the leading American Rock band (read that several times after REM split) and on the other hand, you still can see the 'who the hell are those guys' statements.

They have been proclaimed as the greates/best/most important band for years (the first time I heard it was after Being There came out).

I know acclaim is nice, but i'm sure Jeff and the boys would love having a HUGE payday. I can't imagine they'll ever sell a ton of records...hell, at this point a platinum record would be nice. But maybe simply being the very best in their field may be enough.

Logically Wilco has no chance, since they're competing with an overall Album of the Year nominee, but the Grammys are weird.

Still not sure sure whether I like the Whole Love or Wasting Light more. Both way surpassed my low expectations (both followed up career worst albums) and end up in a comfortable 4-ish spot in their discographies, but I've probably played Wasting Light a bit more overall.

Would love to see a Tweedy speech though, for whatever thats worth.

Logically Wilco has no chance, since they're competing with an overall Album of the Year nominee, but the Grammys are weird.

Of course last year The Black Keys won Best Alternative Album over Arcade Fire, and then an hour later Arcade Fire won Album of the Year. So yes, the Grammys are weird.

This year Best Rock Album will NOT be awarded during the TV broadcast, but during the pre-telecast ceremony. You can catch it online starting at 1:00 Pacific Time on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.grammy.com/live

I truly think the Grammys may as well be called the Shammys, as they are such a total sham...but...I now I'm in a minority when I say I think that the last three Wilco albums might be their best three, and that the last two are my favorite two, and "The Whole Love" is my absolute favorite...so since my other favorite album this last year, Paul Simon's "So Beautiful Or So What" shockingly wasn't nominated (since he's done with this crowd in the past & it was all over the top of most critic's polls) I'm rooting for Wilco, as much as one can root for a system/show they don't believe in...

As far as the other nominees, well the Jeff Beck was certainly very good, and the rest only good at best & often less than, so it's a blow out as far as I'm concerned.

The big news is whoever Rolling Stone got as a Vegas odds maker has Wilco as the favorite with 8-5 odds...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/grammy-showdown-2012-20120206?page=3

Spencer Tweedy put up a great blog post, by turns hilarious, insightful and typically wise-beyond-his-years:

Grammys!

Headed to LA for the Grammys! This is the fifth year Wilco’s been nominated but it’s my brother Sammy’s and my first time coming along. They’re making us sit in the back away from all the important people, but it’s okay because our uncle, Danny, and cousin, Leah, are going with us, too. (They’re not important either so they can keep us company.) I’m happy just to be getting away from Chicago for awhile because something about being geographically, physically far from the place where you primarily experience your angst makes it all… far away. I’m also excited to see famous people.

We found out yesterday that Wilco’s category isn’t televised, which is a big let-down because my dad was ecstatic at the idea of giving a speech to millions of people (not). Normally when he speaks on stage he ends up telling a story about one of the strangely-many times he’s crapped himself in a hotel room. He’ll probably lose to Foo Fighters (or as we in the Tweedy household call them, Poo Fighters) again, anyway.

I saw this letter written by Nick Cave on one of my favorite blogs, Letters of Note, the other day and it really put me in the Grammys spirit. I’m an avid supporter of personifying intangible stuff and also of thinking about music in this wholesome, roots-y way. It was a pretty classy, benign yet striking, “Thank you! You shouldn’t have! No, you really shouldn’t have!” Maybe a little classier than some others…

21 Oct 96

To all those at MTV,

I would like to start by thanking you all for the support you have given me over recent years and I am both grateful and flattered by the nominations that I have received for Best Male Artist. The air play given to both the Kylie Minogue and P. J. Harvey duets from my latest album Murder Ballads has not gone unnoticed and has been greatly appreciated. So again my sincere thanks.

Having said that, I feel that it’s necessary for me to request that my nomination for best male artist be withdrawn and furthermore any awards or nominations for such awards that may arise in later years be presented to those who feel more comfortable with the competitive nature of these award ceremonies. I myself, do not. I have always been of the opinion that my music is unique and individual and exists beyond the realms inhabited by those who would reduce things to mere measuring. I am in competition with no-one.

My relationship with my muse is a delicate one at the best of times and I feel that it is my duty to protect her from influences that may offend her fragile nature.

She comes to me with the gift of song and in return I treat her with the respect I feel she deserves — in this case this means not subjecting her to the indignities of judgement and competition. My muse is not a horse and I am in no horse race and if indeed she was, still I would not harness her to this tumbrel — this bloody cart of severed heads and glittering prizes. My muse may spook! May bolt! May abandon me completely!

So once again, to the people at MTV, I appreciate the zeal and energy that was put behind my last record, I truly do and say thank you and again I say thank you but no…no thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Cave

I think we can all agree that there’s nothing wrong with honoring hard work, but to quantify it with something that isn’t explicitly subjective (like a blog post on Joey Pfeifer’s and my new blog, Unrequired Listening!) is just silly. I like to think that a lot of people feel like Nick Cave, but are just less noble, or at least more tolerant, or a little bit of both and just think it’s fun to go along with the award show ride.

We’re going along for the ride. Exclusive photos of Blue Ivy Carter later!

Edited by Wilco Me

Of course last year The Black Keys won Best Alternative Album over Arcade Fire, and then an hour later Arcade Fire won Album of the Year. So yes, the Grammys are weird.

This year Best Rock Album will NOT be awarded during the TV broadcast, but during the pre-telecast ceremony. You can catch it online starting at 1:00 Pacific Time on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.grammy.com/live

I was wondering. At least I don't have the waste my evening watching...

Dammit. Here's what the LA Times blogger had to say: And proving Grammy voters have the most boring rock album colletion of all time, the Foo Fighters won best rock album for "Wasting Light." The award should have gone to Wilco's "The Whole Love," a far more adventurous collection.

Dammit. Here's what the LA Times blogger had to say: And proving Grammy voters have the most boring rock album colletion of all time, the Foo Fighters won best rock album for "Wasting Light." The award should have gone to Wilco's "The Whole Love," a far more adventurous collection.

That says it all. Too bad, that sucks. Absolutely nothing special about the FF to my ears. Yeesh.