Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

For all those of us who have said for months (or even years), that Romney was "out of touch," here is a little bit more proof.

Mitt Romney 'Shellshocked' After Lost Election, Adviser Says

Qoute: "...the campaign was unprepared for this in part because it had ignored polling that showed the races favoring Obama. Instead, it turned to its own internal "unskewed" polls, which it believed more accurately reflected the situation on the ground.."

I foresee another Bill Maher "Dispatches from the Bubble" segment soon.

One of the most confounding things about this election was the way the right wing turned on Nate Silver for daring to produce polling stats that showed a consistent Obama lead. The guy is basically a money-ball stats nerd who relentlessy crunches numbers. Among other things he predicted the GOP gains in the mid-terms with uncanny accuracy.

But because his stats for this election didn't fit the Republican narrative about Romney's ''momentum'' he was lambasted by almost every right wing commentator for some imagined liberal bias in his modelling. It's bad enough shooting the messenger - but this was like declaring a war on math. Totally unhinged. No wonder Romney and his supporters are having such a hard time coming to terms with his defeat. They really did believe their own propaganda.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style."

- George W. Bush, November 2004, after winning with 286 electoral votes

"The recognition that we have common hopes and dreams won’t end all the gridlock or solve all our problems or substitute for the painstaking work of building consensus and making the difficult compromises needed to move this country forward."

- Barack Obama, November 2012, after winning with 332 electoral votes

Hard to believe the difference in their reactions to winning a second term. Makes me proud to be a liberal.

Agreed. And I found this speech by Obama to his supporters the day after the election moving and inspirational.

As someone who followed Nate Silver's site daily, I was also surprised by the fact that so many people were convinced Romney was going to win.

Oh well, hopefully this will be final nail in the coffin for Republican myopia:

1) Start easing back to the center on social issues--especially immigration reform, women's health issues, climate change (I would put gay marriage here, but I just don't see that happening any time soon, unfortunately)

2) The House needs to work with Obama and take credit for any compromises

3) Recognize the fact that these far-right candidates who won the primaries went on to lose big in winnable races. There's a reason for that.

We'll see. It's definitely time for some new leadership.

I agree with you on all these points...and if we can agree, then so can the politicians in Washington. Their jobs depend on it.

One more post from Nate, showing that, yes, Romney really did get a shellacking. Those two points in the popular vote are actually a lot:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/as-nation-and-parties-change-republicans-are-at-an-electoral-college-disadvantage/?ref=politics

A story ran on the Stephanie Miller show this morning that the credit cards for staff members of the Romney campaign were made inactive immediately after his concession speech, so that the staff had to pay for their own cab rides home.

So THAT's what it is like to get fired by a Mitt Romney.....

LouieB

Anyone notice that it was Kid Rock that totally gave in the liberal point of view? He bought a Prius, watched a gay marriage, protested for some environmental cause? Whereas Sean Penn drank a beer and made a NASCAR sand castle. I would have liked to see Penn and Rock at a gun range. Or doing more "conservative" things.

The sentiment was there but the execution was left to be desired.

Anyone notice that it was Kid Rock that totally gave in the liberal point of view? He bought a Prius, watched a gay marriage, protested for some environmental cause? Whereas Sean Penn drank a beer and made a NASCAR sand castle. I would have liked to see Penn and Rock at a gun range. Or doing more "conservative" things.

The sentiment was there but the execution was left to be desired.

Yea, I didn't get it. These are two "stars" protecting their brands more than they are doing much else. Sorry to be so cynical, but I am not sure why Kid Rock did this. I understand Sean Penn"s motivation, just not Kid Rock's..

LouieB

Yea, I didn't get it. These are two "stars" protecting their brands more than they are doing much else. Sorry to be so cynical, but I am not sure why Kid Rock did this. I understand Sean Penn"s motivation, just not Kid Rock's..

LouieB

Ego. Hasn't been in the news in a while.

http://disappearingromney.com/

At this rate, Romney's Facebook page will be gone in a couple of weeks. I seriously can't believe how fast people are "un-liking" his page. Amazing.

Just as a phenomenon, it is utterly fascinating. Why would people bother? And yet they are, every minute.

Meanwhile, people are liking Obama's page in a steady increase at an even faster rate. The web really is quite a weird place.

http://disappearingromney.com/

At this rate, Romney's Facebook page will be gone in a couple of weeks. I seriously can't believe how fast people are "un-liking" his page. Amazing.

Just as a phenomenon, it is utterly fascinating. Why would people bother? And yet they are, every minute.

Meanwhile, people are liking Obama's page in a steady increase at an even faster rate. The web really is quite a weird place.

I know a handful of hardcore Democrats whose facebook page showed them "liking" Romney. Here is a piece from the Boston Globe about it:

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/11/01/some-facebook-users-dislike-being-used-online-advertising-for-mitt-romney/4HAxE8p7s9vlrnDgufqW9J/story.html

The Latino vote has been a big topic in post election discussion. After reading this article I'm thinking the GOP had better start taking Spanish as a second language courses. They are going to have a lot of wooing to do, and I don't think "cracking down on immigration" is about to get any more popular.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/19/121119fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

The Latino vote has been a big topic in post election discussion. After reading this article I'm thinking the GOP had better start taking Spanish as a second language courses. They are going to have a lot of wooing to do, and I don't think "cracking down on immigration" is about to get any more popular.

http://www.newyorker...currentPage=all

We'll see.

I can forsee a Marco Rubio/Ted Cruz in 2016 and possibly George P Bush in the 2020 mix. Maybe actual hispanics will trump pandering. Maybe not.

I think the party needs to be very careful how they do that, especially after all the "self-deportation" talk. If they just throw a Latino out there with the idea that all other Latinos will vote for them, that would be just as stupid as picking Palin and thinking women will all vote for her.

The top people in the GOP may be rudely surprised, after the fact, to learn that a lot of Mexicans don't like Cubans, a lot of Cubans don't like Puerto Ricans, etc, etc. There is just as much prejudice within the so-called Latino community (well, almost) as there is outside it. You won't get an overwhelming vote from everyone just because someone is named Lopez or Perez. People do frequently vote based on a candidate's ideas and statements, not on ethnicity.

If the GOP introduces (or strongly supports) immigration reform which decriminalizes current illegals, that will go a long way. For those who are just here to work their asses off, just allow them to do that. Give them a path to citizenship if they want it. If they don't, allow them to work here under dignity. Pretty simple TBH.