Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where is Sparky telling us we are all losers?

Maybe in the other thread? I guess I should look there.

To the rest of us, glad that shit is over. Now the shit starts all over again.

LouieB

When I voted for Obama in 2008 I voted with eight years in mind because of how much work needed to be done to recover from our disastrous state of affairs; so I was pleased with his victory last night. I have voted both ways throughout the years, as I am registered independent, but this time I did something I thought I'd never do: I voted straight ticket (D). Reason being: I don't like the way business is being done and how the Republican party has made it a point to be an obstacle to recovery, let alone progress. The kicker for me was during the credit rating issue when the R's said publicly, "We're not negotiating." If congressmen are not negotiating and finding functional compromises, what are they doing in D.C.? I'm hoping the true Republican party will stand up to the tea baggers so they can restore their functionality, let alone their credibility. I would like to see a Rubio/Christie ticket in '16. I'm also hoping the Dems are grooming a couple solid comers in their party. It'd be a mistake to push Joe Biden four years from now.

When I voted for Obama in 2008 I voted with eight years in mind because of how much work needed to be done to recover from our disastrous state of affairs; so I was pleased with his victory last night. I have voted both ways throughout the years, as I am registered independent, but this time I did something I thought I'd never do: I voted straight ticket (D). Reason being: I don't like the way business is being done and how the Republican party has made it a point to be an obstacle to recovery, let alone progress. The kicker for me was during the credit rating issue when the R's said publicly, "We're not negotiating." If congressmen are not negotiating and finding functional compromises, what are they doing in D.C.? I'm hoping the true Republican party will stand up to the tea baggers so they can restore their functionality, let alone their credibility. I would like to see a Rubio/Christie ticket in '16. I'm also hoping the Dems are grooming a couple solid comers in their party. It'd be a mistake to push Joe Biden four years from now.

Your post really mirrors my own experience. I was an independent for years, until I moved to Florida and learned you can't vote in primaries here unless you register with a party. Even then, I didn't always vote for a Dem...depended on the issues, the record(s) or lack thereof....a great Republican with a proven record of moderate views and bipartisanship would trump a no-experience Dem for me back then.

Through the intervening years, I have watched the Republican party become increasingly, frighteningly far right, the Teabaggers being the latest egregious example. Even Reagan would have been too liberal for a lot of these guys. When Obama ran, he specifically said, "It may take more than one year, or even more than one term...," and I took that as a very clever signal that he knew he was in this for the long haul. But frankly, I think even he was surprised by the way Mitch McConnell and the good old boy network on the Hill made it their mission to make him a one-termer and then obstruct every single thing he put forth.

People used to hate politicians because they would always compromise, but we need them to do that now more than ever. Pure obstructionism in the name of "principle" is one of the worst things to happen to Congress in years, and I think it accounts in large part for their 5% approval rating. Like yourself, I'm hopeful that the Republicans will stand up to their Tea Party people (some of whom are now, thankfully, out), and help get some things done.

That's an interesting article. I will never subscribe to the belief that Fox News is as bad as people say. I think that has taken on a life of its own. Hell, the news side was sticking to its guns about Ohio despite Karl Rove's ravings.

However, it does seem that they missed the mark on what kind of chance Romney had last night. I don't know if that was a product of wishful thinking or an over-reliance on unproven data. I also think the GOP has overestimated the importance of the Tea Party. As the demographics of the nation evolve, there is no way Republicans have a chance of winning by continuing to alienate and demonize women and Hispanics. It boggles my mind. And things need to change.

Even the Senate could have been up for grabs last night, but Republicans nominated insane far-right candidates who had zero chance of winning even before they all went on their abortion tirades.

The place to win elections is in the center. The fact that the party has drifted to the right of Reagan is troubling. I don't even think he would recognize the party today.

It will be an interesting two years with the Republican House. Hopefully both sides can come towards the middle and compromise on the important things.

Since the election is over...can we put this fucker to bed?

People are still discussing the election, so I don't see a reason to lock it (yet!). It'll fade away, or lost highway can lock it, or someone can start a new political thread (2016 might not get off the ground just yet).

I think we're close to being ready for a lock, but I feel there is still a bit of denouement left in here. I think there are some things to look forward at, some promises to discuss and some perspective to be had. Here is the one that fascinates me:

We had a candidate who couldn't be bothered by facts, and he was not elected. It seems the Republican party is ready to regroup and hopefully return to a former dignity, sanity and logic. The game is changing. This country is not a dumb, white country. It is a smart, multi-ethnic country.

I have high hopes for how our conversations move forward because they provide the vitality for our democracy (and I'm not just talking about the board here).