Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Spark, you know one of those 2 will be president? Sorry bro.

He doesn't care. All he cares about is hitting us over the head with how they are alike. Of course he isn't taking into account some rather significant if subtle differences (which obviously doesn't include dispensing with the Fed), so yea, they are both trying to be President of the United States of America, which has a fairly well known job description and responsibilities and not nearly the amount of leeway he (or maybe even we) would want.

edit- I reread the graphic because nothing else was happening here (I guess the election is in just a few days, I don't know...) but I realized that actually the Liberartian is exactly the same as these guys, but instead of one of them being liberal and the other conservative, if you vote Libertarian, you get both at the same time. That's pretty cool..

LouieB

Latest polls show a growing confidence for an Obama victory. He has a strong lead in Ohio, and is showing an edge in Florida. If Obama takes Florida, Romney is definitely done for.

My guess it will all fall on Ohio. As goes Ohio goes the nation. I think in the modern era no one has one the presidency without winning Ohio. But if PBO wins either FLA or Ohio it is all over.

Despite it all, I'm not convinced that either guy is as bad as their critics claim. I do side with Romney on issues as well as some of what Obama has done. With all that being said (and I'm not going to respond to any questions like "well, do you believe this or that?!") I will miss this thread and the election. Right or wrong, I think of the Presidential election somewhat like a big sporting event. I know the consequences are significant and not like the super bowl but I guess it's the same feeling of excitement and team work that goes into this every 4 years.

No disrespect to anyone in particular. This OUR country... We're in this together.

Despite it all, I'm not convinced that either guy is as bad as their critics claim. I do side with Romney on issues as well as some of what Obama has done. With all that being said (and I'm not going to respond to any questions like "well, do you believe this or that?!") I will miss this thread and the election. Right or wrong, I think of the Presidential election somewhat like a big sporting event. I know the consequences are significant and not like the super bowl but I guess it's the same feeling of excitement and team work that goes into this every 4 years.

No disrespect to anyone in particular. This OUR country... We're in this together.

I like this post, Tweedling.

Tweedling, I have often sparred with you on this thread, and have been infuriated by you, but I will miss this thread (not so much the Sparky parts, but the rest yes). I hope the conversation will continue in the inevitable 2012 Presidential Recount (spiteful edition) thread.

So if the Redskin Rule remains true it looks like a Romney Victory.

Though I see it differently.

My prediction

Popular vote: PBO 51% Romney 49%

Electoral College: PBO 319 Romney 219

State to watch Ohio.

Also there will be some issues with voter irregularity and such, but none big enough to garner a recount.

Cheers Tweedling.

Despite it all, I'm not convinced that either guy is as bad as their critics claim. . . . Right or wrong, I think of the Presidential election somewhat like a big sporting event. I know the consequences are significant and not like the super bowl but I guess it's the same feeling of excitement and team work that goes into this every 4 years.

That was a nice thought, and I appreciate the sentiment behind it, but boy,I couldn't disagree more about the sporting nature of elections. I actually hate the mudslinging and pandering and demonizing--the whole one-upmanship game. When you think about the real life consequences of choosing our president and congress, it doesn't seem very amusing to realize how uninformed and easily misled the general population is in this era of divisiveness and soundbites.

I'm Obama all the way, so naturally I think the right is worse than the left when it comes to misinformation, taking quotes out of context and appealing to the lowest common denominator, but it happens on "my" side too. I appreciate reasoned discourse, long form interviews, investigative journalism and smart satire, but I do NOT like about 90% of the coverage out there.

Actually, I do think Romney is as bad as his critics claim, and I fervently hope that he will be trounced on Tuesday. He seems completely inauthentic and seething with barely suppressed anger--I honestly think he veers into psychopath territory.

Sorry to go all Debbie Downer on you. I just hope that we remember how much time and MONEY have been spent on this election, when we could have turned our collective energies and treasure into so much more productive directions.

I just hope that we remember how much time and MONEY have been spent on this election, when we could have turned our collective energies and treasure into so much more productive directions.

So, so true. If you add up all the bucks that every candidate spent for every office to be decided on Tuesday, you'd probably be able to feed every hungry person and medicate every sick person from here to Timbuktu. :frusty

Actually, I do think Romney is as bad as his critics claim, and I fervently hope that he will be trounced on Tuesday. He seems completely inauthentic and seething with barely suppressed anger--I honestly think he veers into psychopath territory.

Well I don't know about psychopathy, but his statement about cleaning up from Sandy being like cleaning up after a football game borders on just plain crazy.

LouieB

Good post. I also find myself "rooting" during election season as if it was sport. But I also agree that the manner in which campaigns are run -- intentionally misleading voters, demagoguery, extreme rhetoric, etc. -- is harmful to our nation and only divides us more. Unfortunately, I don't see that ever changing and will only likely get worse.

As for Romney, circa 2008 I used to think he'd be an ok president. Not that I would ever vote for him, but I considered him to be a mostly reasonable moderate. But the way he evolved (devolved) in the GOP primaries, remained that way for most of the campaign, and now has tried to make a late turn back into a moderate concerns me. I don't have a clue what the Romney presidency will look like, aside from the handful of things he hammers on -- cutting taxes, increasing defense spending, eliminating Obamacare (well, except for the parts people really like). Those are all things I completely disagree with. So regardless of whether he really, always has been Moderate Mitt, I would be nervous about what he'd actually do the next 4 years as president.

Atticus, are you suggesting that I'm slinging mud or pandering by saying that Romney is arguably a psychopath? Not at all. I'm dead serious. I really do think that he is a dangerous and bad man. That is not the same thing as mudslinging.

Atticus, are you suggesting that I'm slinging mud or pandering by saying that Romney is arguably a psychopath? Not at all. I'm dead serious. I really do think that he is a dangerous and bad man. That is not the same thing as mudslinging.

More like delusional.

Delusional maybe...

I still don't know that he is a psychopath, unless deciding that you will say anything, even if it is not true, to achieve your goals. You make the call.

LouieB