So over in the Breaking Bad thread I mentioned that I thought Breaking Bad could be (after it ends) the best television show ever (over the Wire). There seemed to be some debate about. I think it is appropriate to discuss this in depth in its own thread.

I would however like to set some ground rules (hey it is my thread and I can do what I want). To claim a TV show is the best ever it has meet these requirements:

• The show has to be and no longer on the air (ie Game of Thrones still on the air does not qualify). You need to take in consideration its beginning middle and end.
  • You cannot say TV show X is the best discounting particular seasons or episodes. You can nominate Lost and say except the Nikki and Paulo episode take the show as a whole and its entirety.
  • None of this category qualifications. You can't say MASH is the best comedy and St. Elswhere is the best drama. It is one or the other.

I want to know what you think is the best television show ever made. Not your favorite, best. Also feel free to qualify your answers.

So mine as mentioned before is The Wire. The story lines and characters are the most compelling and interesting ever put on TV. Also it stands up to repeating watching. It get more out of it the more I watch.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaks and Geeks

My favorite AND the best.

Yeah, it only ran one season. However the characters ALL were intensely relatable and multidimensional and all grew over the course of the single season. Even the most-deplorable character developed some sympathy. And it wasn't done cheaply -- he wasn't shown to be abused or anything -- they just showed his human side. He was a teenager that realized some things in a very real way. And even the most-likeable character showed some flaws.

The way they ended the season/series worked as both a season ender and as the end of it all. A great, open-ended thing that implied all sorts of possibilities, both good and bad.

The very best.

Freaks and Geeks

My favorite AND the best.

Yeah, it only ran one season. However the characters ALL were intensely relatable and multidimensional and all grew over the course of the single season. Even the most-deplorable character developed some sympathy. And it wasn't done cheaply -- he wasn't shown to be abused or anything -- they just showed his human side. He was a teenager that realized some things in a very real way. And even the most-likeable character showed some flaws.

The way they ended the season/series worked as both a season ender and as the end of it all. A great, open-ended thing that implied all sorts of possibilities, both good and bad.

The very best.

I'm with Pop Todd. The Wire, Seinfeld, the first five seasons of West Wing, and Louie are all pretty high on my list as well.

Then as an anglophile, I'd nominate Fawlty Towers, Python, The Thick of It, and the first series of I'm Alan Partridge.

--Mike

My best and favorite shows:

Six Feet Under

My So-Called Life

Arrested Development

I tried The Wire once (watched only the pilot) and was disappointed that it didn't grab me. I've heard it called the best TV show ever and so it's on my list to try it again sometime.

You can't give up on The Wire. It is a heady show to figure out if you make it through episode 4 you will be hooked.

I tried The Wire once (watched only the pilot) and was disappointed that it didn't grab me. I've heard it called the best TV show ever and so it's on my list to try it again sometime.

I had the same initial reaction. Then tried again a year later, promising myself to stay with it until Omar shows up. I didn't need to wait that long - was hooked after 2nd episode.

Definitely best series ever.

I can't pick just one so I'll go with a bunch:

Breaking Bad, Freaks and Geeks, Mad Men, Six Feet Under, The Twilight Zone, Seinfeld, Louie, Arrested Development, Sports NIght, The Larry Sanders Show, SCTV, M*A*S*H, Treme, The Sopranos, Fawlty Towers....

Although I love The Wire, Season 5 was a definite letdown for me. Without giving away any spoilers, the main storyline just got too ridiculous.

Similar to Breaking Bad imo, Season 5

Six Feet Under might be my favorite show ever....definitely my favorite finale

Since the thread isnt locked yet, I'll throw in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I tried. I really did.

But, just like with Seinfeld, while I can see it's brilliance and even laugh at a lot of it, the characters piss me off too much, too frequently for me to enjoy the show. CYE even moreso than its predecessor.