wilco solid sound request thread first night

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but why is there so many requests for covers. I would rather have the band play a new spin on a old song from their catalogue then hear the band do a cover. Unless the cover is not a cover but their spin on someone else's song. I guess i'm just not a big fan of what amounts to a full band version of  karaoke. 

Yeah the we are going to learn 50 songs thing freaks me out. Believe me if this show wasn't 200 miles from my house (and require a tank of gas and a hotel stay) I wouldn't care one way or another but for me to make the trip worthwhile I would love to hear some rarities hearing them cover the Beatles is fine for a song or so is great but I am going for Wilco heavy set and am intrigued what all request show can potentially mean with a catelog of songs they don't often tackle...here are the songs I am itching to hear:

Blue Eyed Soul

Too Far Apart

We're Just Friends

Either Way

On and On

Sunloathe

Open Mind

Message From Mid-Bar

Nothing Up My Sleeve

Alone

Thanks I Get

One of the reasons I love hearing talented bands play covers is that it gives me a chance to experience some great songs from the past that I would never get to hear played well live otherwise. Like if they did a Badfinger song. How many people still around ever got to hear Badfinger play live? It'd be a treat to hear a band as good as Wilco pull that off. It keeps the good music from the past alive and it also gives a glimpse into a band's influences. I wish I were going to Solid Sound to see this request show, it should be awesome.

I also understand those who'd prefer Wilco originals/rarities. It'll probably be a mix of originals and covers.

There is one cover show i saw from one of my favorite bands "Of Montreal" New Years eve 2008 that was pretty cool to watch. But half way through i was hoping for some originals as the novelty wore off. And there were some very interesting covers played that night as you can see from the set list and hear from my recording that evening on the link below.

During the encore they broke out some originals and the show went to a whole other level for me.  Covers are cool in low dosages but when i see a quality band such as Wilco that has a bunch of great original songs then that's what i want to hear. 

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/01/21/bootleg-of-montreals-new-years-eve-09-covers-set/ 

It's not like wilco won't be playing another show the next day.

I can only attend Friday :stunned

Only the flip side of the argument if you are going to the whole weekend and they played their songs both nights good chance to hear a great variety in their catelog.

I saw one of the Wilco shows where they covered Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, and it kicked major butt. Then I saw B.O.C. for the first time a few years later, and their version sounded really weak. True story!

I saw BOC play back in 1981 and DFTR kicked major ass live. I guess a 30 something year old playing a song about fearing the reaper is more inspired and fearless then a 60 something year old playing a song about fearing a reaper.  :stunned

While not exclusively, I'm hearing a lot of classic rock tunes. How about a return to their roots and play White Freight Liner Blues, London Homesick Blues, or Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers?

I'd also love to hear them cover anything by Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, the Old 97s or Cracker.

Yeah the we are going to learn 50 songs thing freaks me out. Believe me if this show wasn't 200 miles from my house (and require a tank of gas and a hotel stay) I wouldn't care one way or another but for me to make the trip worthwhile I would love to hear some rarities hearing them cover the Beatles is fine for a song or so is great but I am going for Wilco heavy set and am intrigued what all request show can potentially mean with a catelog of songs they don't often tackle...here are the songs I am itching to hear:

Blue Eyed Soul

Too Far Apart

We're Just Friends

Either Way

On and On

Sunloathe

Open Mind

Message From Mid-Bar

Nothing Up My Sleeve

Alone

Thanks I Get

I would love the hear Thanks I Get!

As for the debate - covers vs. wilco songs... The way I see it is that this is a one time deal, and as much as I would prefer two nights of full Wilco material sets, I am going to embrace Friday night as a rare event and someday I will look back and feel lucky to have been there... We all have faith and trust in Wilco and you know they will deliver. All the covers I have heard Wilco play live over the years have been killer - 'Something in the Air' by Thunderclap Newman (made famous by Petty), 'I Shall Be Released' by Dylan, 'Broken Arrow' by Neil Young, 'Thank You Friends' by Big Star... This is going to be great. There will many other Wilco sets over the years, but nothing like this again.

I think Wilco would do all these songs proud.  Sorry if the list is a little long.

Suburban War- Arcade Fire (My Official Request)

The Man in Me- Bob Dylan (Maybe for Americanarama)

Frankie's Gun- The Felice Brothers

King of California- Dave Alvin

Streets of Bakersfield- Buck Owens

Sausalito- Conor Oberst

Million Dollar Bill- Dawes

Ft. Worth Blues- Steve Earle

I'm Writing a Novel- Father John Misty

Tennessee- Gillian Welch

Jack Straw- The Grateful Dead

While You Wait for Others- Grizzly Bear

Uphill Mountain- Jackie Greene

2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten Lucinda Williams

Portland- Middle Brother

Lover of the Bayou- Mudcrutch

Outta My System- My Morning Jacket

Roll Another Number For the Road- Neil Young

The Squirming Coil- Phish

Rye Whiskey- The Punch Brothers

Loving Cup- The Rolling Stones

City of Dreams- Talking Heads

Old Times- Todd Snider

Girl on LSD- Tom Petty

Unbelievers- Vampire Weekend

Papa's Home- Widespread Panic

I went with something from Gram Parsons, Christine's Tune, which is on the Flying Burrito Brothers' debut album

(Just goggled and discovered Wilco has previously covered Parsons' 100 Years From Now from when he was a member of the Byrds. Another great tune)