wilco solid sound request thread first night

that's how i feel about 99% of the suggestions here. i mean no offense to those recommending songs, but the last thing i want is for a night of wilco covering classic rock hits. 

a night of "deep tracks" or b-sides, however, would be pretty fantastic. 

I'm with you. I'll be excited to hear whatever covers they come up with (who knows any of those might spill over into night #2 for all we know- which would be continued surprises & fun), but...

I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more into the idea of hearing Wilco originals that are rarities/officially unreleased songs, b-sides, deep album cuts, etc., etc. ...I look forward to the covers for sure, but just not as much as hearing what lesser played stuff from their own catalog they might do...and I hope proportionally we hear many more Wilco originals than covers in their Friday setlist...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing it's not going to be that wide open, 1 or 2 obscure covers, 1 or 2 classic covers and 1 or 2 rare Wilco related songs and the rest of the set will still be all request because I'm sure someone somewhere will request Heavy Metal Drummer.  No mater how it plays out I think it's really cool they are doing it and I'm sure it will be awesome, even if it's a Heartache Tonight or We Built This City.  Fearless would be sweet!!!

So I just opened my email to find a Ticket Master PreSale to The Eagles!!!!

Because I hate the Eagles I am close-minded? 

You are not alone.

I'm with you. I hate them too.

So, I don't particularly hate the Eagles... I thought they were pretty good back in the day, and I still think their sound was (is) an important branch in what we all know and love today about rock music.  Put another way, I won't change the station if I hear them on the radio.

But I was pretty offended when I saw the announcement of the "history of the Eagles" tour, to coincide with their documentary.  It starts in Louisville, and all lower arena tickets are $195.

Seriously?? 

I've never liked anything about the Eagles, and their history of egregious ticket prices is just one of many reasons why.

I'm particularly hating on them right now because one of my heroes, Randy Newman, is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Don Fucking Henley. Good lord!

Instead of requests from people with potentially bad musical taste, I would LOVE if each of the band members got to choose, say, three songs each that the whole band has to play, where the three songs have to be their own personal all-time favorite songs to play in the history of all music, ever (can be Wilco tunes or covers); three songs they would choose if they could only ever play three songs ad infinitum for the rest of their lives. 

But I was pretty offended when I saw the announcement of the "history of the Eagles" tour, to coincide with their documentary.  It starts in Louisville, and all lower arena tickets are $195.

Seriously?? 

Crazy.

I'll take three days of music for the early worm price of $99 any day. Oh, yeah, and I'll cross paths with the band members (but probably not talk to them because I want them to be able to enjoy the music, too), and look at cool art, and all the other fun that SS brings.

Instead of requests from people with potentially bad musical taste, I would LOVE if each of the band members got to choose... 

How funny would it be if one of them chose to cover a song by the Eagles, Foreigner, or insert-bad-classic-rock-band here.  What if Wilco dudes have potentially bad musical taste?!  :stunned

How funny would it be if one of them chose to cover a song by the Eagles, Foreigner, or insert-bad-classic-rock-band here.  What if Wilco dudes have potentially bad musical taste?!  :stunned

I guess I would prefer even that, than to have the band get all populist with their "art".

I'm lamenting the demise of the arbiters of culture -- the death of the critic, and the subversion of the free market with illegal downloading. The proliferation of the internets means the mob always rules, and the loudest troll has the last word. I miss those salad days of my own youth, when I could count on Artists to tell me what "art" was rather than have the mob decide for me; when Artists didn't suck up to the People, and were curmudgeony and didn't wash, in general acted like jerks and played only what they wanted to play.

I guess I'd rather pay money to submit to Wilco's aural authoritarianism than to pay money for other people I deem as ordinary as I am, dictate my concert experience. 

I guess I would prefer even that, than to have the band get all populist with their "art".

I'm lamenting the demise of the arbiters of culture -- the death of the critic, and the subversion of the free market with illegal downloading. The proliferation of the internets means the mob always rules, and the loudest troll has the last word. I miss those salad days of my own youth, when I could count on Artists to tell me what "art" was rather than have the mob decide for me; when Artists didn't suck up to the People, and were curmudgeony and didn't wash, in general acted like jerks and played only what they wanted to play.

I guess I'd rather pay money to submit to Wilco's aural authoritarianism than to pay money for other people I deem as ordinary as I am, dictate my concert experience. 

Well, we already know Pat and John like schlocky seventies' stuff (Sentimental Lady!)

I like the idea of Wilco being playful with the fans and letting the experience be an interchange.  With the band playing live so often and lots of fans coming to multiple shows per tour, I think it's fun that there will be some spontaneous exchange. Anyway, it's only going to be a couple of covers and a Stump the Band encore.  The rest of Friday night is Wilco songs. Also, something tells me that Jeff isn't going to play anything he doesn't want to play, in spite of the mob rules on the request line.

I wasn't busting on the song!  Although their cover sounds to me like Bob Welch's version from 1977 -- and it is a schocky am radio seventies song!  I happen to also have a soft spot for that oeuvre (Bread, America, Little River Band, for example).

Don't get your collective panties in a bunch!  :cheers