Solid Sound Night #2

Maybe the density of the crowd was bad where others were, but I was about 3 rows of humans back on Nels side, and it wasn't crowded at all.  I mean, maybe I'm just used to indoor shows at venues as opposed to festival shows, but it was a warm, muggy night, and I'm sure I would sure I would remember standing nuts-to-butts with other stinky Wilco fans.  Still, found it confusing that as the band was playing there were still unfolded chairs strewn about with no one sitting in them.  Maybe there would have been more room if people put the chairs away as were more considerate of those around them.

That said, had a great time the second night.  I loved how they kicked off the show with I Got You and loved how much of Summerteeth was played.  Funniest/most embarrassing part of the night was when that woman came on stage to make a request, and she gushes about how her favorite album is YHF ... and then requests Candyfloss. It got a little worse when Jeff corrected her, and told her that wasn't on YHF, and she second-guessed him on it.  Now, I know that Jeff's memory isn't what it used to be, but come on.  Also, she gave him a hug when she came on stage, and he did seem a bit weirded out by it.  Truth is, I could have done with a little less human interaction both nights.  I think Jeff excels at banter, but no so much at actual face-to-face interaction, and includes with John Hodgman.  Anytime he was on stage, it did mess with the momentum the first night.

Looking at the setlist, holy crap there were a lot of songs played.  Loved the show, but whatever you do, do not stay at the Redwood Motel.  A resident of the town even apologized to me for that location and said they'd never recommend it again for festival goers to stay at.  Gonna try and get better accommodations next year.  Looking forward to seeing all the same faces are meeting more next year, and I hope Wendy and The Mexican can make it out there as well.

Rodion

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxygen singer Sam France, who must have escaped detention (this was taken in the field, between Neko's set and Wilco's)

p1677280635-5.jpg

I caught their unplugged performance in the museum, which was pretty strange. They had a nice sound, and were certainly acting the part. I kind of found their shtick to be a bit of a distraction, TBH.

Gonna put this here right now since I don't see a thread for Night 2 in A Future Age yet...

Neko's set streaming on WFUV
http://www.wfuv.org/audio/archives/fuv-live/neko-case-solid-sound-festival-2013

I guess they streamed Wilco's set live too, but I don't see an archived stream for it.

did anyone see this guy on stage w/ Mulcahy?

p1847605673-4.jpg

I saw him walking around friday and saturday, but i wasn't 100% sure it was him, though the thought definitely more than crossed my mind. It's cool that he was just walking around checking out the music, but i missed his Mulcahy appearance unfortunately.

Gonna put this here right now since I don't see a thread for Night 2 in A Future Age yet...

I guess they streamed Wilco's set live too, but I don't see an archived stream for it.

As far as I know, Neko is strongly against her shows being recorded and/or shared anywhere on the internet.  I guess a stream is a different thing, or maybe she has changed her mind. I won't be messing with any of her shows though.

She has plenty of shows streaming on NPR too. I know that's she's against audience taping too, but I would guess that the radio broadcasts and archived streams are approved in advance, and hence free to share as links.

That makes me think of the note inside the Canadian Amp cd. I can't recall the exact wording though. I have a couple of her early shows that someone on here gave me a long time ago.

Wilco's Saturday night set: http://wilcoworld.net/#!/listen-to-wilcos-saturday-night-solid-sound-set/

As far as I know, Neko is strongly against her shows being recorded and/or shared anywhere on the internet.  I guess a stream is a different thing, or maybe she has changed her mind. I won't be messing with any of her shows though.

I definitely saw a Wilco crew guy go up to a taper right before Neko's set started and ask him to lower his rig, so i think her policy must still stand on that one.

The Foxygen set brought a bit of old school rockstar chaos to the show. Lots of fun.

Anyone else see the "pop up"'performance of Mark Mulachy and Pat Sansone inside the museum...absolutely beautiful.

I liked the Foxygen set, too. They had a youthful energy that was goofy, pretentious, and not at all like the rest of the festival. They butchered a few songs, and did some really well. And the pop up show in the museum was absolutely beautiful - one of the best parts of the festival for me.

In my 30 ish wilco shows I have never hear 'I Got You' without being preceded by 'Red Eyed and Blue'... Unexpected but great opener. Fantastic night and fantastic weekend!

Same here! Fun, fun opener. A huge surprise. And the setlist made it feel like 1999 all over again for much of the night. Lovely.

Id give the set list on Saturday a B+, not the best set or the longest set I've seen from wilco, which is disappointing when your at the "Wilco festival"

They only had one short encore, when they typically have two.

I quickly realized that the reason they didn't play longer was due to the "midnight dinner with the band" that was dreadfully expensive ($250 a person).

If they would have added a fee more YHF, and played a couple GiB tracks this would have been a A+ set to me. I think it's funny that Wilco the Album continues to be ignored.

I think overall the set list was mostly Wilco's positive energy material, not many sad/depressing songs in the mix at all, which was probably intentional as it fit the festival atmosphere well.

I think overall the set list was mostly Wilco's positive energy material, not many sad/depressing songs in the mix at all, which was probably intentional as it fit the festival atmosphere well.

Woah...something went wrong here...sorry for the quadruple post

Spoke to more than one person who felt the same way about Saturday, including my wife. Not me, I was still so pumped coming off Friday's show. They had me at I Got You (a surprise opener for sure) and never let go of me. I never checked the Bruins score once. there 's no other night that would happen. Maybe I enjoyed the more quiet acoustic based songs so much last night is because the absolutely stunning sound system. The sound has been perfect at every SS. I can't rank 2011's performances as better since Friday night all request was just the greatest thing ever!

you're right, the sound was great. I gotta say, i checked the Bruins score between songs :)

I love how the official setlist on twitter and facebook says that this ITMWLY was Glenn's retirement from standing on his drum stool in the rocker pose before the song starts... It was funny how Tweedy talked about it that night

It was clear from Glenn's body language that he really really wants to retire the standing on the drum stool bit. I'm happy for him that he will be able to retire it.

I hope they feel that they can retire the "Jeff and Pat play really close together on the twin guitar part" of Impossible Germany as well, and anything else that they feel they have to do.