Now Reading in 2014

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished Gone Girl, and for all the hoopla about it, I preferred Dark Places (her previous book).

Now:

13121912.jpg

Laguna Honda is a city-owned long-term care facility in my neighborhood.  For over 100 years, it's been the last stop for old people with no where else to go, or people needing long-term care for physical or mental disabilities (lots of bikers, in the days before strict helmet-law enforcement, ended up in Laguna Honda).

It was built to hold dozens of beds in each large ward, which is not considered appropriate care anymore (it's been in its current location since 1909).  It became a political hot potato a few years back, between zoning issues, city bonds to pay for remodeling, etc.  It's always been a sad place to visit, but even before the updated facilities were put in, the care has always been top-notch.

My grandmother used to talk about her older friends who had no one to take care of them, and wondered what would become of them.  The consensus was always that the best possible outcome would be that they could get into Laguna Honda.

I am finally reading Gone Girl. About 2/3 of the way through, and enjoying it. Maudie, give The Goldfinch a shot! I really liked it. Maybe it didn't need to be quite as long as it was, but it was addictive. I also recently finished this:

Disaster-artist.jpg

It was fascinating. I think you probably need to have seen The Room to fully appreciate the portrait of Tommy Wiesau, though.

I'm always racing to finish library books before they're due. Waiting in the wings for me right now:

AMarra-AConstellationVP.png

A+House+in+the+Sky.png

I am finally reading Gone Girl. About 2/3 of the way through, and enjoying it. Maudie, give The Goldfinch a shot! I really liked it. Maybe it didn't need to be quite as long as it was, but it was addictive. I also recently finished this:

Disaster-artist.jpg

It was fascinating. I think you probably need to have seen The Room to fully appreciate the portrait of Tommy Wiesau, though.

I'm always racing to finish library books before they're due. Waiting in the wings for me right now:

I was talking about that film with someone a few days ago. I may have to check this one out.

I'm always racing to finish library books before they're due. 

It's still on my list!  But, I'm also always in the process of racing through library books, so it'll need to wait until I'm through my current stack, at least.

The Goldfinch was one of my library races. I felt like I deserved a medal for finishing it in two weeks.

You do!!

I so judge books by the covers, all the time.

Given the choice, I will always take the edition that doesn't have the Oprah's Book Club sticker.

And I will read pretty much anything with an old black and white picture of New York City on the cover.

This one is kind of my nightmare.  I love the picture, and the book sounds right up my alley, but the "now a major motion picture" sticker sends my book-snobbery levels right off the chart:

12967.jpg

You are all adding and adding to my "I'll never finish it in a lifetime" reading list!

I'm currently deep into the lyrically written, spellbinding world of Arcadia. What a great read this is...I want to rush through the story, but I also want to stretch it out so it won't end for 6 months or so, it's that good. But I'll be finished in a couple of days & have to find something else as absorbing. The curse of the great book!

Has anyone else read this? If so, don't tell me the ending. Anybody read any of Lauren Groff's other books? I'll be reading those soon. This woman can sure write.

arcadia-paperback.jpeg

I've read about a dozen Elmore Leonard books over the last month or so. I shoulda paid attention to him when he was alive but I held the film versions of Get Shorty and Be Cool against him.

171710045.jpg

I do not read too many autobiographies written by musicians. But I was into the Who in a big way for 3-4 years in the early 80s - the first band I really went crazy over. Then along came The Replacements, then The Jayhawks, and then Wilco. I suppose I'd read an autobiography by Paul Westerberg, Gary Louris, or Jeff Tweedy, too. But probably not many others (maybe Keith Richards' Life). What I did get out of this is that the late 60's/early 70s - the heyday of The Who - seems like a long time ago in terms of popular culture.

Given the choice, I will always take the edition that doesn't have the Oprah's Book Club sticker.

And I will read pretty much anything with an old black and white picture of New York City on the cover.

This one is kind of my nightmare.  I love the picture, and the book sounds right up my alley, but the "now a major motion picture" sticker sends my book-snobbery levels right off the chart:

12967.jpg

Funny on all counts.  I distinctly remember buying that book based on the cover photo (and I really liked the book too). 

About a week ago my wife and I saw a preview for the movie and she said she'd like to read the book.  I went looking for my copy and couldn't find it so I went to the bookstore to get a new one.  All the copies had that sticker on them and I just couldn't buy one.  I'm going to track down a used copy.    

arcadia-paperback.jpeg

I finished reading this a couple of days ago, and I am still deep in Arcadia, inside my head. This book was completely spellbinding for me, so gorgeously written that I would reread entire passages just to hear them resonate in my head again. But it isn't just a beautifully written book, all gossamer and little plot....no, no, no, it is fully fleshed out with a wonderful plot and people you'd swear you knew in another life or something. The main characters are still wandering through my thoughts, and probably will be always. I miss them the way you might dearly miss somewhere you'd loved living, but from which you'd had to move. 
I actually thought to myself as I reluctantly finished the final page, "This may be my favorite book of all time." It has some very stiff competition, but it's that good. Really.

You Richard Russo fans: He gives a blurb for the back cover, which reads, "It's not possible to write any better without showing off." I couldn't agree more. I'll now be devouring everything else author Lauren Groff has ever written. :yes

arcadia-paperback.jpeg

I finished reading this a couple of days ago, and I am still deep in Arcadia, inside my head. This book was completely spellbinding for me, so gorgeously written that I would reread entire passages just to hear them resonate in my head again. But it isn't just a beautifully written book, all gossamer and little plot....no, no, no, it is fully fleshed out with a wonderful plot and people you'd swear you knew in another life or something. The main characters are still wandering through my thoughts, and probably will be always. I miss them the way you might dearly miss somewhere you'd loved living, but from which you'd had to move. 

I actually thought to myself as I reluctantly finished the final page, "This may be my favorite book of all time." It has some very stiff competition, but it's that good. Really.

You Richard Russo fans: He gives a blurb for the back cover, which reads, "It's not possible to write any better without showing off." I couldn't agree more. I'll now be devouring everything else author Lauren Groff has ever written. :yes

I got this from the library yesterday based on your glowing review

Been working on Fear and Loathing in America (HST letters from '68-76). This and the previous one, Proud Highway (letters from '55-67) are both voluminous reads. I've been anticipating the third installment, The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop 1977–2005, for several years now. I pre-ordered on Amazon over a year ago but I'm not sure if the thing is even close to a printing or release date....

I saw a buzzfeed list (I know, I know...) about books to read if you love San Francisco.  So I'm starting on a few of those:

1046262.jpg

51068.jpg

And not on the list, but from SFPL's pick-of-the-month list:

7885177.jpg