Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is indeed. Care to share any other discoveries? I'm enjoying Parquet Courts but finding it hard to get excited by Mac Demarco.

I've been checking out some of the acts I hadn't listened to before. I don't care for Parquet Courts so far. Can't put my finger exactly on why.

The Felice Brothers and Real Estate are very good, and I'm really enjoying William Tyler.

I've been checking out some of the acts I hadn't listened to before. I don't care for Parquet Courts so far. Can't put my finger exactly on why.

I listened to them some yesterday.  I like them.  In an unhinged, Foxygen sort of way.

I listened to them some yesterday. I like them. In an unhinged, Foxygen sort of way.

I feel like I should like them, since I like the old bands/era that they're clearly influenced by. Maybe that's the problem. Too derivative?

The one artist I find myself really disliking so far is Jessica Pratt. I find her voice incredibly annoying.

Your post made me chuckle, TSJ. Any time I play ANY music, my father says it's derivative. For years. From when I was 15 and listening to The Who, until now (I'm 45), when I'm listening to lots of different stuff!

Ha! I hope I didn't come across as a crotchety old man. I guess most music is derivative in some sense. Some artists just have a complete lack of originality or authenticity. If they're not adding something to their influences, why bother?

I don't think Parquet Courts are bad, they just (as of yet) haven't done anything for me.

the reason I think Parquet Courts stands out from all the other post-punk revival bands is due to the lyrics and charisma of their lead singer. He's not doing anything new, but his music and attitude feels genuine rather then copy cat. Light Up Gold is a really silly punk album compared to the follow up Sunbathing Animal, which is by no means a masterpiece, but it seems more culturally aware then say Foxygen, which always seemed like one giant joke.

Their latest EP Content Naseua also has it's moments. i think overall they are just a really talented and fun punk band, with a suprising amount of revelence compared to the rest of the "so called" punk bands out there. Even calling them "punk" seems insulting.

Mac Demarco writes silly/stupid folk-pop songs, but they catch you by surprise, and usually end up sticking around your head for awhile. The singer himself is a bit of enigma and prankster, and has a layer of grunge and filth that adds to his records. He reminds me of John Waters in away. He embraces being poor and trashy, even though his lyrics are typically soft and  sweet. I dont' see his as a "co-haedliner" material though.

Looks amazing!!! And while I'm sure we'll most probably get Richard Thompson playing with both Wilco and Tweedy/Jeff Tweedy & Friends... I'm still a bit surprised, & disappointed, that they didn't end up having Richard Thompson play both acoustic & electric sets. Oh well, a minor point amidst some amazingly well balanced days!! Onwards to  Spring first, then Solstice & finally, Solid Sound!!!!

As this will be our first Solid Sound (though not first visit to Mass MoCA, nor far from first Wilco show!), wanted to ask SS vets of years past, what time has the music usually started on Friday? We have weekend passes, but probably bring our 4 year old to  just the Friday show, as she loves Taj Mahal (who doesn't?)

Thanks....

As another SS neophyte, my questions are more about the seating/lack thereof for the Wilco & Tweedy shows: I know it's a festival, and doesn't have any sort of VIP section, but what sort of arrangements do people make for ensuring they get a decent spot fairly close to the front? My wife is only 5'3" and will be fairly miserable, I think, if we are not quite close. Just to clarify: I have never been farther back than the 15th row for a Wilco show, and even that seemed like miles. I'm usually in the first 5 or 6 rows, or on the rail for GA. Not exactly a giant myself, as many of you know. :lol

Does the festival have multiple acts performing in different areas at the same time? My understanding is that the Mass MoCA setup has a "field" where the main acts perform, but if this accommodates 30,000 people, it seems like you would have to miss a lot of the other music to get decent spots for Jeff & the boys. I would love to see some of these other acts, but my main concern is the Wilco and Tweedy shows...Thoughts?

Some people choose to head to the field early to get a good seat; I've never felt the need. The festival is very good about not scheduling bands at the same time, but some of the smaller indoor shoes require a little bit of lining up in advance to guarantee a seat.

Does the festival have multiple acts performing in different areas at the same time? My understanding is that the Mass MoCA setup has a "field" where the main acts perform, but if this accommodates 30,000 people, it seems like you would have to miss a lot of the other music to get decent spots for Jeff & the boys. I would love to see some of these other acts, but my main concern is the Wilco and Tweedy shows...Thoughts?

Joe's Field is indeed a field, but it's a lot smaller than your average fest field; it probably holds like 8,000-10,000 max. What some people do is set up chairs and/or a blanket first thing and then either monitor it throughout the day and/or make friends with groups around them so that there's always someone keeping an eye on the "camp." Or just head over to Joe's Field a few hours before and find a spot. As long as you don't absolutely have to be right on the rail, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The overlap with other acts isn't too bad, but at the same time I wouldn't expect to set up early, be gone all day and then come back right before Wilco starts either. Hopefully people will continue to be at least reasonably civilized...

Joe's Field is indeed a field, but it's a lot smaller than your average fest field; it probably holds like 8,000-10,000 max. What some people do is set up chairs and/or a blanket first thing and then either monitor it throughout the day and/or make friends with groups around them so that there's always someone keeping an eye on the "camp." Or just head over to Joe's Field a few hours before and find a spot. As long as you don't absolutely have to be right on the rail, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The overlap with other acts isn't too bad, but at the same time I wouldn't expect to set up early, be gone all day and then come back right before Wilco starts either. Hopefully people will continue to be at least reasonably civilized...

Thanks, bböp! I knew I would get some real expertise here on VC. Had no idea of the size of Joe's field.

I don't have to be in the front row (I am in the 3rd row for one of the Florida shows, and taking my chance with general admission for the others), but I do like to be fairly close. I'm only about 5'7"-5'8" myself, so it's easy to block my view. And I'm always more than willing to let even shorter folks stand in front of me. At SS, I am guessing it will be my wife! Would like to meet some of you Wilco fanatics there as well.

I suppose I have gotten pretty spoiled by my previous Wilco experiences, but there's also a bit of sacrifice involved: getting there early, standing in line until my flat feet are killing me, etc. Of course, nothing like the sacrifices you make to see so many shows, but still... :lol

I guess it's not really a sacrifice when it still feels like a privilege to see these guys. They have such a great back catalogue now and are so damn good...I can't even imagine a "bad" Wilco show.

What bbop said. There'll be a lot more to say about this as the time gets closer, but I would suggest that SSF first-timers take a look at the threads from previous years to get a good feel for what to expect. I don't think this year's festival will be radically different from the one in 2013. The very first year they handled access to Joe's Field differently, with a lining up and later mad dash to the front, but since then it's been open all day. It definitely makes sense to make friends with your neighbors, for all kinds of reasons, and you'll probably have to miss out on one or two acts depending on your priorities, but the choices are not as frustrating as at larger festivals.

A couple of random things to note:

Access to the Hunter theater can be difficult, so if there's something there that you really want to see, you should make a point of lining up early because capacity is limited.

Also, during the course of the festival there will be some pop up shows that are announced at the last minute via Twitter and text messaging, so be prepared to have your best laid plans upset at the last minute by something that just got announced. And related to that, bring a spare charger or two unless you want to sit around on the floor in one of the galleries charging up your phone.

It's a strange phenomanon but at most Wilco shows that involve GA people love to be in the center. The masses generally prefer to be 30 feet back but dead center.

Myself, I don't mind being to the side. The furthest back i've ever been for a GA show was the covers set at Solid Sound last time around and I was probably 10 people back on the Nels side and I got to my spot about 20 minutes before they took the stage.

Another item to note is that Joe's field isnt exactly the flattest field in the world and in the back to the left (assuming you're facing the stage, or the southeast corner if you'd rather use your compass) there's a hill that provides a great view of the stage albeit from several hundred feet away. No one should really worry about their vantage point, aside from their fellow concert goers who may or may not be the type of people you want to stand next to (I heard a lot more talking during songs at the last SS and feel like this practice is increasing).

Thanks, bböp! I knew I would get some real expertise here on VC. Had no idea of the size of Joe's field.

I don't have to be in the front row (I am in the 3rd row for one of the Florida shows, and taking my chance with general admission for the others), but I do like to be fairly close. I'm only about 5'7"-5'8" myself, so it's easy to block my view. And I'm always more than willing to let even shorter folks stand in front of me. At SS, I am guessing it will be my wife! Would like to meet some of you Wilco fanatics there as well.

You're first Solid Sound? You are in for a treat!

If you get to Joe's Field late, there's a slight rise in front of and to the right of the soundboard (if you're facing the stage). I'm 5'4" and have found that, if I can't get up front, that's not a bad spot for a short girl.

I did notice that, with the increased number of attendees at the last SSF, there were a lot more late arrivals who didn't respect the "camps" bbop referred to. We were sitting on our blankets when a family with a very tall dad cruised in front of us and actually kicked our stuff out of their way. A coworker of mine who went to college in MA said I must have met my first Massholes LOL! Honestly though, that kind of stuff is more the exception than the rule - it's a pretty chill gathering.