Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found a place to stay and booked a room in Williamstown, near Williams College \o/ 

We'll rent a car in NY but I'm wondering what is better drive everyday or take the shuttle? How's parking and traffic coming in/out?

I finally found a place to stay and booked a room in Williamstown, near Williams College \o/ 

We'll rent a car in NY but I'm wondering what is better drive everyday or take the shuttle? How's parking and traffic coming in/out?

We have stayed every year in Willamstown, and have always diven without worry of getting a parking spot. The close lots fill early but there is plenty of street parking all around MASSMoCA

At SSF 2013, there was a shuttle stop in Williamstown right by the Dunkin' Donuts. I love not having to drive into North Adams!

If you're referring to my post, once we park, we stay put.

Nope, I'm referring to the other folks who do what I complained about.

For the FreshGrass festival, MassMOCA sets up a standing section and a sitting section, with an actual line on the ground that runs directly from the middle of the stage to the soundboard.  Standing on one side, sitting on the other.  Everyone gets along.  

Note, I would not recommend this approach for SS.

Parking is no problem. There's a bunch of free public parking near The Railyard restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the Freightyard Pub? I kept calling that The Railyard until it finally stuck in my head. Great place!

Okay, so tentatively we're going to solid sound. HELP I have no idea what I am doing as far as booking a place to stay/anything about the area (or the NE in general!)

Are you driving or flying?  If you're flying I would fly into Albany, NY and rent a car, it's only an hour or so to N. Adams and the drive is nice.

Yeah, I think suggestions would really depend on a few factors: one is whether you are driving or flying, for sure. Another is whether you want to be really close or not, how much you are willing to spend, etc.

My wife and I booked a room at a little place up over the VT border. It's only about 30-40 minutes from MassMOCA, which is fine. After a raucous rock show, I can't possibly go right to bed...so a little drive in the country appeals to me. And the place is cheap.

If the hotel or motel thing is not doable, and you are not a camper, I have found Airbnb to be a very pleasant way to book a room. You have to do your due diligence and read the reviews for the place you stay, but it's a pretty cool option.

Enjoy! Hope to see ya there (along with some other VCers, of course).

Oh yeah, we would definitely drive, though it would be about 14 hours- it'd still be cheaper than plane tickets. We talked about camping, but I don't know that I could physically do it. I saw some pretty cool places on AirBnB. The geography of the NE is really strange to me- it's hard to figure how far things are from the festival- is it very important to be close? When does the music start and stuff? 

Things get going pretty early on Saturday and Sunday. Noon or so. I'm old and by the end of the day I'm exhausted, so for me it's good to be close. You can always pm me if you have your eye on something and want to know how close it is. I live not too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music starts around 5 on Friday, noonish on the weekend. On where to stay: It is important to be close if it is important to you to be close. I have no need to be close, so a 30 minute drive would not bother me. It is beautiful there, so the drives are nice. I would not stay too far east of North Adams, as you will have to travel over a hellacious mountain road to get to and from the festival.

I just decided last week to go as well. My neighbor has never been to SS, and he wanted to go, so that was all the push I needed. We're bringing his 8-year-old daughter and my 2 youngest children, who are 12 and 9. It will be my daughter's 3rd SS. My older daughters have aged out - they are passing on this one. Maybe they will return when they are older. Wilco is not so cool when you are 16 and deep into Taylor Swift and Marina and the Diamonds. I get it.

We are fortunate that a good friend reserved 2 rooms at a motel in Williamstown, so we have a place to stay. He reserved the rooms ages ago, and he was waiting for me to pull the trigger. Trigger is pulled. On to SS4!

Okay, so tentatively we're going to solid sound. HELP I have no idea what I am doing as far as booking a place to stay/anything about the area (or the NE in general!)

There's a great little place at the top of Mt. Greylock called the Bascom Lodge.   I don't see it listed on the Solid Sound hotels page.  It's very basic, but relatively inexpensive, and not far from North Adams, but the drive up the mountain is crazy.  Their website says they'll be open Tues-Sun in June, but maybe they'll extend it to Monday for Solid Sound weekend?

Glad you're going to make it Sarah - you'll have a blast!

http://www.bascomlodge.net/

A woman wrote to me offering a property in North Adams for 4 people ($ 200/night).

"The apartment is within easy walking distance (.2 miles) with a view of the MASS MoCA complex. There is one bedroom (double bed) and a sleeping nook (double bed), your own private kitchen and private bathroom, and wifi access as well. "

If someone is interested PM me and I'll give her email

Also, and I have seen very little mention of this, the Solid Ground campground is a nice option. I stayed there with my kids last time around. Once you arrive you can just park the car and not worry about driving until you are ready to leave. We had a really fun time there.