Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does this music lineup seem to really skew toward the middle-aged white guy? I know that's sort of Wilco's core audience in some respects. And I respect the challenge of trying to put together an exciting lineup without mega-financing, without duplicating past artists and without any acts that might overshadow the headliner. But I'm just missing...something that I can't quite put my finger on.

Maybe it's the lack of a female performer on the level of a Neko Case or Mavis Staples (or many female-led acts at all, though I do love that Cibo Matto will be playing)? Or maybe I'm just not a big fan of some of the younger acts (I'm sure Mac DeMarco will be this year's version of Foxygen; he'll crowd surf and all the hipster kids coming from NYC and Boston will love it)? Or maybe the lineup just seems a tad predictable to me (Other than Charles Lloyd, Taj Mahal and maybe Shabazz, isn't this more or less the kind of lineup we pretty much expected? If you read between the lines to some extent, you can sort of start to see how they're piecing this thing together now.)

Anyway, just wanted to play devil's advocate. Hopefully the promised later additions will help round out the lineup somewhat...

I hope they're not counting Cibo Matto as Nels' side project. He does play with them, but it's not his music. I'm stumped what else it could be, since they're past M, N, and P.

Looks like it's Stained Radiance. Probably fitting for an art museum, right? I'm a little surprised that hasn't happened already...

Nels Cline and Norman Wisdom would be worth travelling to see.

http://youtu.be/kColMK9r99Y

A missed opportunity.

Norton, and yes indeed on both counts! It's pretty mesmerizing to watch. I saw that they're reissuing the DVD they put out some years back in a few weeks — as the first title on Nels' new The Alstro Imprint, whatever that is (part of dBpm or a separate label...who knows?) — and playing a few dates shortly thereafter to presumably support that re-release. So it makes sense (at least to me) that this would be the Nels side project featured at Solid Sound this year...

Does that mean we won't see you, MQK?

I shall not be attending, but there will be a corner of a foreign factory yard that is forever banter.

Actually apart from the impractically of particular domestic and employment arrangements, I think I'd suffer a reaction to such an overtly 'arty' place. I prefer some craftsmanship in art (or an actual truly interesting idea that is all too rare in the vast majority of modern art in my opinion). Not to mention all the poncey beer concessions. Plus all those gushing Wilco fans ... :badger

Edit. Based on a vague memory from 1981, I can recommend King Sunny Ade. Take your dancing pumps.

I shall not be attending, but there will be a corner of a foreign factory yard that is forever banter.

Actually apart from the impractically of particular domestic and employment arrangements, I think I'd suffer a reaction to such an overtly 'arty' place. I prefer some craftsmanship in art (or an actual truly interesting idea that is all too rare in the vast majority of modern art in my opinion). Not to mention all the poncey beer concessions. Plus all those gushing Wilco fans ... :badger

Edit. Based on a vague memory from 1981, I can recommend King Sunny Ade. Take your dancing pumps.

You mean something along the lines of the Malawi Mouse Boys?

I think I'm gonna pass on Solid Sound this year. The logistics have become too expensive since year 1 (which I loved and was magical and pretty perfect). Last year's over crowding on Sat was a drag. My husband & I agreed that they'd have to woo us with the lineup if we were to attend again this year and we were both unswayed.

I hope you all have fun though. It's a great venue.

I'm pretty happy with the lineup.  I'm not wowed, there is nobody that I'm dying to see.  But, I'm sure I will enjoy most of it.  I'm looking forward to Real Estate and Parquet Courts.  Bill Frisell, NRBQ, and The Felice Brothers will be good to see too.  Time for some homework.

It helps that I live only a couple hours away.  I would drive that far for only Wilco, so the rest is a bonus.

They had me at Wilco x2 and Tweedy, so the rest is gravy.  But I do find the lineup intriguing and not at all a middle age white guy festival as was written.  Charles Lloyd and King Sunny Ade, never saw either of them coming and am psyched to have some great jazz, and King Sunny speaks for himself. I'm also a huge Richard Thompson fan, that wasn't a surprise but am really happy nonetheless.  Lots of music I'm not familiar with, Jessica Pratt, Mac Demarco, William Tyler.  And some bands to get my 25 year old son (a huge Wilco fan) to come up from DC to attend: Real Estate, Parquet Courts and Demarco.  All in all, a wide ranging diverse lineup.  Looking forward to the bands I know, and hearing the music I'm not familiar with.

4th time for me.  Happy to keep it going.

They had me at Wilco x2 and Tweedy, so the rest is gravy..

Me too. And Autumn Defense, of course. In fact, I like the idea of not feeling too much pressure to see everything-- more time to take in the exhibits, which I never seem to spend enough time on. Like bböp, I do have a vague sense of something missing. My friend is hugely excited about Real Estate, which I find to be pleasant background, with sort of Byrds-y sounding guitar but not enough hook for me after a few listens. But I'm sure I'll love it all and maybe find a new favorite.

Excellent comedy lineup also, which will please my wife as she always spends Saturday in the comedy show. Jessica Williams!

Yeah, from what I gather from my comedy nerd friends, they are pretty psyched. So the fest at least has that going for it...

I guess I must be part of the middle-aged white guy contingent, because I am pretty damn psyched for Charles Lloyd, Taj Mahal and King Sunny (all black dudes, I believe ;) )...not that I'm trying to make it a racial thing. Lol. Also psyched for Autumn Defense and NRBQ. For me, the other acts were just icing on the cake, but I am surprised they landed that many big names. And I have never seen any of them, or even a Tweedy solo show. So I am looking forward to it more than I was yesterday before the announcement.

Here are my thoughts.

First of all...of COURSE this appeals to middle age white people...were you not at the last Solid Sound? This fest aims to please Wilco fans, who happen to be mostly middle age white people. So I don't get the complaint here. If you want to go see a bunch of EDM, or National Rock/Pop acts, there are plenty of other festivals for that kind of stuff.

So regarding the line up...I think they have done another great job of diversifying the line up. This isn't a "jam band" festival in the slightest. It offers a little bit of each genre, by artists that are up and coming or just breaking through, or are considered legends or critic favorites.

My highlights

Parquet Courts - One of the best 70s revival post punk bands currently around. Their last three records have been excellent, and they are easily one of the better punk bands to surface in quite some time. Everything the Strokes should have been.

Mac Demarco - A great singer songwriter known for not taking himself or his music that seriously. This will be a very silly and umpredictable part of the fest. Curious if he will be playing the large stage. I think his antics would probably best for the courtyard stage.

Real Estate - Beautiful surf/pop melodies, should make for a relaxing and enjoyable set.

Ryley Walker - an up an comer that's still finding his footing, his newest album mixes Nick Drake type vocals, with Improv Jazz style backing band.

William Tyler- incredible instrumental guitar player, that should be really great to see live.

That being said....I DO feel the festival is missing a big Co-headliner. There is no Yo La Tengo, or Neko Case size acts this year. All of the acts I would consider "medium to large" club acts. Not the type of acts that would play or fill a local theater or ampitheater.

They are missing another BIG act like Andrew Bird, or She and Him, the Shins, Modest Mouse,  or Sufjan Stevens, would have filled nicely.

You could defend this by saying Tweedy is really a Co-headliner, as you are really getting Three Wilco sets instead of two. (Considering Jeff will most likely do an acoustic set).

So overall, I still wish I could go this year, but I'm not quite as upset as I would be, if say Andrew Bird, or The Replacements decided to play.

Should still be a great weekend for everyone. Some of my favorite acts from last years were acts I had no clue about prior to attending. Which is what makes this fest so good. You know if they are invited, they have to be pretty damned appreciated by the band.

Anyone who has not seen Richard Thompson perform is in for a treat.  Don't miss him.  A guitar and songwriting whiz.  Watching him perform '52 Vincent Black Lightning will drop your jaw.

Yep, I think Wilco is trying to give him a late-career boost as a sort of co-headliner...what with the J.T. production and all.

I am impressed by how much enthusiasm there is for all the acts that are, to me, quite obscure (I did check out Real Estate's disc after a bunch of people here mentioned them, but I was not blown away). I mean, Parquet Courts, DeMarco, Walker, Tyler...I know nothing of any of these people. So thumbs up to all you folks who are interested in them. :thumbup

Real Estate are a very mellow act. Perfect Sunday driving music. I recommend the album Days..I think it's probably their best overall.

Mac DeMarco  should be on everyones radar, his recent album Salad Days is great, however his real breakthrough and still his best album is "2". He's has kind of a loser/slacker mentality that plays off his very charming lo fi pop songs. I'm surprised more folks here don't listen to him.

Parquet Courts is awesome, but they may not appeal to everyone. Their first breakthrough album Light Up Gold, is more on the 80s goofy SoCal punk side (think Decendents) , but still has some 70s post/garage type moments. Sunbathing Animal and Content Nausea (both came out last year)..also have their speed punk moments..but the songs are more developed and the songwriting has improved dramatically. Think Television, Wire, Modern Lovers, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GH7RfjLb1c

Here is Pretty Machines off of Content Nausea...probably one of my favorite songs by them.

If it weren't for Wilco, I wouldn't be attending SSF. Luckily I'm from MA so the trip to Mass MoCa is very reasonable. It would be pretty difficult for me to travel across the country for this one. Aside from the comedians, there really aren't any acts I'd go out of my way to see. To each their own-- I'm glad to hear that so many VCers are excited about the announcement.

Personally, as an (ahem) middle-aged guy - only about 3 years older than Tweedy, I believe, and younger than Nels - I am pleased as punch to see that they are not limiting themselves to inviting acts that are all much younger than them. I almost bought Taj Mahal tickets a year or two back, but the good seats were $75, and I don't really know his catalogue and just had too many other financial obligations. I figured I might not ever get a chance to see him.

Charles Lloyd is a jazz legend (they made a point of listing people he's played with and/or influenced: Hendrix, Miles Davis, etc) - so if you're not familiar or just think maybe you are interested in jazz, I would recommend checking him out. I am more excited about him than all the other non-Wilco acts combined...it's a real left-field choice IMHO.

Even though I'm from New England, I never caught NRBQ, and that should be fun, too...assuming they still have chops, decent vocals, etc. They are a fun, easygoing rock band.

Not familiar with King Sunny, really, as I never jumped on the afrobeat bandwagon, but it's great music...should be fun.