Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

You're first Solid Sound? You are in for a treat!

Indeed. Many Wilco shows, but none at festivals...and none with special guests or other cool artists I want to see. Oh, and never gotten a Jeff solo show...almost as psyched for that as I am for the rest of the weekend!

A coworker of mine who went to college in MA said I must have met my first Massholes LOL!

:lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, bböp! I knew I would get some real expertise here on VC. Had no idea of the size of Joe's field.

I don't have to be in the front row (I am in the 3rd row for one of the Florida shows, and taking my chance with general admission for the others), but I do like to be fairly close. I'm only about 5'7"-5'8" myself, so it's easy to block my view. And I'm always more than willing to let even shorter folks stand in front of me. At SS, I am guessing it will be my wife! Would like to meet some of you Wilco fanatics there as well.

I suppose I have gotten pretty spoiled by my previous Wilco experiences, but there's also a bit of sacrifice involved: getting there early, standing in line until my flat feet are killing me, etc. Of course, nothing like the sacrifices you make to see so many shows, but still... :lol

I guess it's not really a sacrifice when it still feels like a privilege to see these guys. They have such a great back catalogue now and are so damn good...I can't even imagine a "bad" Wilco show.

Hey, no problem! It usually doesn't feel like you're making much of a sacrifice after most shows when you're able to get relatively close. Sounds like you'll be just fine at Solid Sound. I'm excited for you! Definitely say hello if see me around and feel like it...would be nice to put a face to a name, or handle (or something). :thumbup

Hey, no problem! It usually doesn't feel like you're making much of a sacrifice after most shows when you're able to get relatively close. Sounds like you'll be just fine at Solid Sound. I'm excited for you! Definitely say hello if see me around and feel like it...would be nice to put a face to a name, or handle (or something). :thumbup

You got it! I'll be looking for the dude who is writing down the setlist like I usually do, right? :D

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this recent convo, the sound system is spectacular.  Crystal clear, perfect volume.  I've been to all the SS's and each time I'm amazed at how good they get the sound at an open air field.  So wherever you are, no worries about the sound.  I love the visuals of being up close for a show, but the reality is there's always a tradeoff as the sound is usually better a little farther back. 

unless the weather plays havoc. on the 2nd one, the wind and rain kinda messed w/ the sound a bit, nothing you can do about that.... the hazards of an open air PA.

Yes, Friday night particularly of SS2 I was under a rain poncho or umbrella, as were most, so the sound was not ideal!  You can hear the rain pelting on the umbrella over the mike stand on the audience recording.

Yes, Friday night particularly of SS2 I was under a rain poncho or umbrella, as were most, so the sound was not ideal!  You can hear the rain pelting on the umbrella over the mike stand on the audience recording.

The noise on the recording just enhances the memories! We pretty much rocked that accidental audience chorus of "Radio Cure"! 

Plus at the very beginning you can hear my kids yell "Mama says hi!", it was their first taping experience, they thought it would be funny and looking back they were right!  The trade offs of taping, get your gear wet or "hear" the rain.

Do the comedians perform in a theatre, tent, out in the open? At past Solid Sounds, how long have the comedians' sets been? Thanks! 

In the Hunter Center (indoor theater). Seating is pretty limited and you usually have to wait in line to get in. I think the sets are about an hour - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotta love the people who set up chairs up front early, aren't there the entire day, show up just as the show starts and are pissed that their stuff has been moved aside, consolidated, or there are people standing 'near' their blanket.   I say respect goes both ways. 

Gotta love the people who set up chairs up front early, aren't there the entire day, show up just as the show starts and are pissed that their stuff has been moved aside, consolidated, or there are people standing 'near' their blanket.   I say respect goes both ways. 

i'm *really* hoping for a chair/blanket free zone in front of the stage.

If you're referring to my post, once we park, we stay put. My husband and I threw our blanket down and had been sitting there for well over an hour when it was taken over. We were about 10 deep lined up with the speakers. There was still space just behind us. The folks against the rail had been sitting there all day. It's a festival, people are going to put down blankets because that's what people do at festivals. There's a point where it's time to pack stuff up and fill in. But until then, if I've been willing to sit in the sun or rain longer than you, you don't need to kick my stuff out of the way so you can claim the couple of feet between me and the people who were willing to sit in the sun or rain even longer than I was. We didn't even get an "excuse me".

But there's definitely a point where people need to pick stuff up, especially things that are easy to trip over. I tripped over a bagged chair once and that's scary in a crowd. And chairs that get left up to create a buffer-zone bug me.