Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

Turns out either less people were wearing Wilco shirts or they were covered by ponchos or other outer gear, as I've only got a dozen or so shots (i did want to take photos of ones i'd not seen before, which also probably cut them down a bit).

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/ssf_tshirts

Will and Cole win the cutey pie award

p1298614385-4.jpg

You know it was one of my goals to make this Wilco tee shirt gallery. At least the cherry ghost shirt I was wearing on Saturday got in, worn by some imposter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul McCartney - 2014, capacity crowd of 15,000, no smoke

Lady Antebellum - 2014, capacity crowd of 10,000, no smoke

Elton John - 2014, capacity crowd of 10,000+ and no smoke

Billy Joel - 2014, capacity crowd of 20,000, no smoke

Dylan/Wilco/MMJ/Bob Freakin' Weir - 2013, capacity crowd of 10,000+ and I don't even recall getting smoke in my face there

"

You're describing some grandpa rock shows, but you were at dad rock fest. Different scene.

But seriously, a cloud of unwelcome smoke is an annoyance, but perhaps a more expected one at an outdoor fest.

You're describing some grandpa rock shows, but you were at dad rock fest. Different scene.

But seriously, a cloud of unwelcome smoke is an annoyance, but perhaps a more expected one at an outdoor fest.

:lol

Well, Lady Antebellum was a younger crowd, but mostly country - more beer than bud.

Had some really loud drunks behind me on Friday and I would have moved but I was trying to protect my friend's tape deck (people tripping, pushing through and spilling).  Also was trying to stay reasonably close to my daughter age 17, who was about 10 feet away in front of the board with my buddies 3 boys who were a little younger 12-17 (but they are veterans).

People behind me weren't just drunk, they liked Molly & they sang to every song but changed the words with a Molly reference. It still didn't ruin anything for me. I'm sure I've been obnoxious at some point to someone at a show. 

I did see a few unhappy kids over the 3 days but I saw a lot more happy, well cared for kids. And I saw a lot of unhappy couples.  Pot smoke never bothers me. In fact, I love the smell and makes me feel comfortable at a show. I have not smoked anything in 17 years. No butts or cigars detected anywhere near me at SS. 

I think everyone should just stop being assholes. If someone is hanging out in a space it's their space. And if you can be nice to somebody or help someone, then you should.  I loved Saturday & Sunday. (:

It's been interesting reading this back-and-forth about partying at SS. One thing is for sure, the drinkers and smokers are way more tolerant than the tee-totallers. I drank, smoked, and sang along with Wilco. Too bad if I offended anyone by having fun and enjoying my favorite band with my best friends. :)

There was tea? JK. 

Chiming in about a week late, but I had an excellent time (as always) at Solid Sound. It kind of feels like a big reunion at this point, since I know so many folks who've made the trip every year (and picked up new friends along the way). I hope that spirit lives on in years to come.

I'm attending a more typical "giant field" type festival in a couple weeks, and I'm curious to see how it will measure up. (Which is a nicer way to say: what percentage of me will hate it?) I know all too well that I'm spoiled by the general environment at SSF. The ability to wander around and see art, sit inside, walk a short distance into town and grocery shop/eat at a restaurant/take a break: all this is pretty great. It is frustrating that smaller performances in unique indoor spaces fill up quickly, but I think the opportunity to see them at all is pretty cool and unique as festivals go. Sure, it would be great if the crowd were smaller ... for me as a festival-goer, but obviously not for the festival runners. 

I had no issues with food lines, and have no real complaints about the audience at Joe's Field. As people have stated, your personal experience in any crowd is going to depend on your attitude and the assortment of people who happen to be around you. Sometimes you hit the jackpot with that, and sometimes it sucks, but it is what it is.

My favorite surprise of the fest was Glenn's "Tintinnabulators" interactive exhibit in the basement lobby MASS MoCA restrooms. It inspired a new shorthand among my friends for taking a trip to the facilities: "I'm gonna go bang a gong."

A late poster as well and also can't really find much to complain about (except the wifi in my hotel...but that's not Wilco's fault!) The crowds are fine, the chairs and blankets annoy me but I've been to ACL so I know it can be much worse. It's a joy to come there out of the brutal Texas heat so even the drizzle and chill didn't really bother me. Gained some new bands to follow in Speedy Ortiz, Parquet Courts, Felice Bros and Luluc and of course loved Wilco and Tweedy.

Can't think of too much I'd change and of course already making tentative plans for 2017.

My favorite surprise of the fest was Glenn's "Tintinnabulators" interactive exhibit in the basement lobby MASS MoCA restrooms. It inspired a new shorthand among my friends for taking a trip to the facilities: "I'm gonna go bang a gong."

Yes, wasn't that the coolest thing?

In fact, I was talking to some friends yesterday about the festival and it hit me once again just how many special events or moments there were--aside from the music that is of course what we know about going in. Glenn's Immortal Flux, tthe book signing, the beach ball prank, the mini Wilco stage in the galleries, the timeline. . . . and I know there's tons that I'm not even mentioning. I've been going since the first year and it amazes me how they keep upping the ante every year and makiing this such an utterly cool and inclusive event. Wilco really does love us, baby.

Thanks for sharing all the great photos Tinnitus and Yaz !!!

You're welcome! Thanks for chiming in =)

Had some really loud drunks behind me on Friday and I would have moved but I was trying to protect my friend's tape deck (people tripping, pushing through and spilling).  Also was trying to stay reasonably close to my daughter age 17, who was about 10 feet away in front of the board with my buddies 3 boys who were a little younger 12-17 (but they are veterans).

People behind me weren't just drunk, they liked Molly & they sang to every song but changed the words with a Molly reference. It still didn't ruin anything for me. I'm sure I've been obnoxious at some point to someone at a show. 

I did see a few unhappy kids over the 3 days but I saw a lot more happy, well cared for kids. And I saw a lot of unhappy couples.  Pot smoke never bothers me. In fact, I love the smell and makes me feel comfortable at a show. I have not smoked anything in 17 years. No butts or cigars detected anywhere near me at SS. 

I think everyone should just stop being assholes. If someone is hanging out in a space it's their space. And if you can be nice to somebody or help someone, then you should.  I loved Saturday & Sunday. (:

Thanks for all your help.  I'm amazed, I've listed to that show a few times now and I can't hear a single Molly reference!  Also thanks for bringing Joey upfront on Sunday, that's an experience I'm sure he'll never forget, and one he wouldn't have gotten with me, even when not taping I just don't like it up there.

and i finally finished up the rest of the photos... same gallery as before:

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/solidsound2015

Spotted myself! So funny that in the two press photos I've found myself in (yours and Mass Live) I have the biggest grin on my face while looking at the stage. Guess I was having a good time...

Also, anyone know the story behind Jeff's SSF Martin guitar? The photo is the first I've seen it, unless I've just never noticed the emblem. 

Yeah, the Tweedy 00-DB is amazing. I bought one back last fall and it's the best guitar I've ever played.

The one they had for auction at SS was special just for SS.

I got to look at Jeff's model that he uses as a bus practice guitar, and it didn't look any different than the one I have, though the one he uses on stage might be different.

It's truly a magnificent instrument. I just wish I was a better finger picker.

Does anyone have scans/decent photos of the 2015 SS posters? I like to customize the Roadcase downloads for my digital music devcie with the show posters... Didn't see them on the Kingfu shop or via google search. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...