Jeff Tweedy — 2/15/14, Chicago, IL (Vic Theatre) [Benefit For Youth Scholarships-Night Two]

Here was the complete setlist, as played:

New Madrid
Born Alone
Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
At Least That's What You Said
You And I
Hummingbird
Radio Cure
At My Window Sad And Lonely
One True Vine
Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)
Nothing Up My Sleeve (aka Anniversary)
Wishful Thinking
Shouldn't Be Ashamed
I'm Only Sleeping [The Beatles]
Pink Moon [Nick Drake]
I Can't Keep From Talking
Someday Soon
Summer Teeth
Smile [orig. composed by Charlie Chaplin [edit: w/lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons]]
The Community Song (sung twice plus once in Spanish, sort of)
God [John Lennon] ("I don't believe in Montessori...")
Pecan Pie (requested as "Peacock Pie")
Kicking Television
ELT
Gun
-------------------------------
You Are Not Alone
Dreamer In My Dreams (mostly performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Nothing Up My Sleeve (aka Anniversary)

Wishful Thinking

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

I'm Only Sleeping [The Beatles]

Pink Moon [Nick Drake]

I Can't Keep From Talking

Someday Soon

Summer Teeth

Smile [orig. composed by Charlie Chaplin]

The Community Song (sung twice plus once in Spanish, sort of)

God [John Lennon]

that's a run for the books

So many great moments tonight, with many rarities, as you can see from the setlist.  I was thinking in the middle "I hope I can get a recording of this."  Pink Moon sounded great!  Jeff prefaced "Kicking Television" by saying it would be awful on acoustic, but the guitar part was downright rocking (ok, there's not much of a lyric to speak of, but still.)  I've always loved "One True Vine" and it sounded lovely live. Last night was great, but thought the setlist tonight was exceptional.

Way up there in all Tweedy shows I've seen. He was just in top form.

Agreed. I've been to quite a few myself. This was one for the history books. Pink Moon? I had always wanted him to do that one. He never had done it up until tonight, but for some reason, I'd always thought he should. I didn't request it, but it was my dream that someday he would. Thanks for the ticket, Jules! If it hadn't been for you, I would've never seen that. Now I've gotta put in a request to Wilcoworld to get this thing roadcased! I'll be first in line to buy a copy if they put it up. They'd make more money for Montessori if they would!

What a fantastic weekend. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy now, despite the weather. We heard many great songs over the two nights - Jeff gets in his yearly teasing about the way these setlists are chosen, but I'm so happy they've continued with the request format. It's pretty amazing that Jeff is willing take a list of songs on a few hours' notice, and turn that list into a show like the one we saw tonight. Lots of great banter, too. (Tamala ... the green grass?) Much love to the Tweedys ... thanks again for everything!

For once, I'm at a loss for words. I've been to a LOT of Tweedy solo shows and there was something just incredibly special about this one. It wasn't any one thing--the setlist was great, the vibes in the room were warm and communal, Jeff was absolutely in perfect form, that whistling in Hummingbird was un-fucking-believable--it just added up to a spectacular show. Jeff just left it all out on that stage last night. I'm still blown away.

I love these shows, and last night's was beautiful. I also appreciate Jeff continually honoring the request system. There were so many great choices last night! Thanks to the Tweedys for the time and generosity, as always. I do believe the sun'll come out tuh-mah-luh!

For once, I'm at a loss for words. I've been to a LOT of Tweedy solo shows and there was something just incredibly special about this one. It wasn't any one thing--the setlist was great, the vibes in the room were warm and communal, Jeff was absolutely in perfect form, that whistling in Hummingbird was un-fucking-believable--it just added up to a spectacular show. Jeff just left it all out on that stage last night. I'm still blown away.

My first solo show.  I, too, was blown away.

He really channeled John Lennon on "God".

Had a great time as always. I can't remember how many ive gone to but its something like 5 of the last 6 years

Just curious when the show became a lot of random requests for covers vs tweedy/wilco/tupelo/loose fur etc songs plus songs he's covered before

has he ever done pink moon,god, or i'm only sleeping?

He's done God and I'm Only Sleeping. I think the first time he sang God was in Charlottesville on Dec. 8, 2010, the anniversarry of John Lennon's murder. (I was there. Shiver-inducing memory.) He's sung it several times since then, always (I think) with "Wilco and me" substituting ffor "Yoko and me." I'm Only Sleeping was at one of the Vic shows from 2012 or 2013--can't remember which. I'm pretty sure he's done it before that as well. Pink Moon might have been a first, though.

I always look forward to this 2 day Tweedyfest every year but couldn't make it this year because of work. Don't know how old Sammy is and how much longer he'll be at this school or how much longer these shows will last but I do hope there is at least one more show for next year and hopefully in March again. Looking forward to hearing the recordings. I think I shall go on a long drive and play the shows back to back and ramble through some backroads Cheers!

Did anyone record Saturday night?  Friday was great and as fun as any Vic academic benefit show that I've attended but Saturday was totally exceptional. 

You could tell Jeff was woodshedding all Saturday afternoon to polish his playing for that evening.  He even metioned how a certain song sounded great that day in his basement so you know he was putting in some time.  Friday night he seemed to be struggling a little (more to the eye than to the ear) with his playing -  lot's of playful but frustrated/pained facial expressions....Saturday the playing was fierce and nearly flawless.  Would love to have a copy of that show.

At least one recording of both nights was captured, keep your fingers crossed for an upload in a few weeks.

I too would like to thank Sue and Jeff for their time.  We really look forward to these Fri and Sat nights once a year and you both are so fun to play along with this set list format.  These are not only great benefit shows, but fan reunion shows as well.

Wishing you both all the best.

I made the trip from NOLA for Saturday's show and was blown away. It was my first Tweedy solo show, so it definitely set the bar pretty high. I'd love a copy of the show as well.

It seems like a no-brainer to offer these in the Roadcase with proceeds benefiting the school, in full or in part.  I am sure countless fans who don't have the luxury of being able to attend would love to hear them.  

This was my third straight year and I've brought someone new with me each year to enjoy them.  They all come away saying how much they enjoyed it.  I agree with others that Saturday's was the best I've experienced so far.

only caught sat, but loved it! these shows area always such a treat.

New Madrid, Pieholden Suite and Cars Can't Escape are the 3 songs I want to hear every time I go to these shows for the last 8 years so this was a great start. Better show than last night for sure.

great choices...was just saying to a friend how i can't believe no one ever requests cars can't escape! this is the perfect scenario for it (and not like venus will ever see the light of day again)