• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed -- I guess it's digital but looks as if it were shot on film. It looks and sounds stunning. And my best friend and I are in it-- that's fun. :)

Yes, you looked great! It was cool to see so many friends in there.

I don't use iTunes for anything other than music, but I'm playing the downloaded file with Plex and it works fine.

Wish Vimeo worked with Chromecast.  But I just downloaded the file, put it on a flash drive, and played it through my Blu-ray player.  Super easy, and it looked great on my large TV.

Wow, that looked like real anger. Interesting that they left that in the footage.

Also surprised, but I guess the point is to show the stress of learning and rehearsing all those tunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could have used more Wilco and less Foxygen. The film does an excellent job of capturing the SS vibe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, what's this last cover then?  :devil

... and there are extras (was also surprised to see Pat have a bit of a strop in the trailer) - is that a separate download? Available yet? Is there a description of what it contains? Questions, questions ...

So, what's this last cover then?  :devil

... and there are extras (was also surprised to see Pat have a bit of a strop in the trailer) - is that a separate download? Available yet? Is there a description of what it contains? Questions, questions ...

No, there are no extras--I think what people referring to is the separate 5-minute segment where they're practicing and then performing Cut Your Hair. Can you download or stream that segment from the UK?

And re the closing song, it was nice to have it be a surprise, and it was the most perfectly fitting one, so I won't mention it here. You know you're going to buy this, so just do it! Git on the damn bus!

You know, I probably won't. I would have bought an extras film of rehearsal/DVD footage - I did see the extras trailer and that looked great, but I can't get too excited about the actual film. I think you had to be there for it to be a nice souvenir since there is a lot of stuff I am not that interested in.

Someone offered to PM me the answer to the last cover, so that will put me out of my misery later :-) Just curious about that in case it was something I requested and/or why it did not make the cut depending on what it was.

Wow, that looked like real anger. Interesting that they left that in the footage. 

hahh! thats kinda funny. But Im sure it was to show the frustration of learning 30 songs that are not your own less than a week before the show. 

also! mega bummed I cant make it this year. Have extra fun for me, everyone who is going! 

I wonder if they in fact filmed the full Wilco performances on both nights? It would be incredible to have a 2 show release of both nights of Wilco from 2013!!!

While I doubt this....wouldn't it be something if they were getting together something with that? You know those Solid  Sound shows from 2013 (Roadcase #18 & #19) are the only two Roadcase shows that are no longer available? I wish they'd surprise us at Solid Sound with that release! A DVD/Blu-Ray & CD Box Set of the 2013 Wilco performances for continuing 20th Anniversary goodies goodness on the occasion of the Solid Sound of their 20th Anniversary!

That would also provide great future continuing publicity for Solid Sound itself- as the film itself clearly is. The film highlights that there was initially money lost, & only recently just a little money made. It's nice to hear the 3-day passes are likely to sell out this year, along with the single day Saturday night tickets too. Things like Solid Sound (and that they do it to share an amazing experience & not to make money) are why I've tried, during times of more abundance, to really support the larger artistic project of Wilco (giving out merch to folks who are like minded as gifts etc. ... maybe buying another Roadcase show that only has one or two songs that are repeated at other show...now an even harder/rarer enterprise after the string of 20th Anniversary releases)- I love the vision & the heart.

Well, one can hope & dream! I'll settle for an announcement about a forthcoming new album (they apparently did that at the 2011 Solid Sound), & it would be amazing to hear any new songs... or maybe close the Fest with the song they closed the film with...or to have them finally do "Sunloathe" live ;)

You know, I probably won't. I would have bought an extras film of rehearsal/DVD footage - I did see the extras trailer and that looked great, but I can't get too excited about the actual film. I think you had to be there for it to be a nice souvenir since there is a lot of stuff I am not that interested in.

Someone offered to PM me the answer to the last cover, so that will put me out of my misery later :-) Just curious about that in case it was something I requested and/or why it did not make the cut depending on what it was.

What is "the extras trailer" I'm not sure I know about any "extras"...curious....

What is "the extras trailer" I'm not sure I know about any "extras"...curious....

No, there are no extras--I think what people referring to is the separate 5-minute segment where they're practicing and then performing Cut Your Hair.

Available at the bottom of the vimeo page under a heading of 'Extras' last time I looked yesterday.

Available at the bottom of the vimeo page under a heading of 'Extras' last time I looked yesterday.

Ah "Bonus Feature"- it's just the clip going around of them rehearsing & then playing the Pavement song "Cut Your Hair"...

Just watched it - as a 2015 newbie, it was great to see and get a sense of how very different it is from the typical festival. Very well done and now very excited for next weekend.

Oh yeah and that last song? Perfect..a dear old favorite and a great fit for that spot in the movie.

Watched it this weekend. Enjoyed seeing myself in the crowd multiple times during the White Denim segment...lol.

Overall, I think the documentary did a pretty good job of summing up the experience. Enjoyed the different Wilco covers. Especially the last one. Was this recorded at rehearsal? I did have a few criticisms though...

My biggest gripes would be the complete lack of Mark Mulcahey, which was a HUGE highlight for me (if you couldn't guess). We got a 3 second clip of him playing in the museum with Pat, but no audio from the performace. They also somehow missed his regular set that included Pat AND J. Fing Mascis. So...huge opportunity lost here.

Second Gripe, is the Yo La Tengo section, and the awful, and uncomfortable montage of festival members staring into the camera. First off, while Autumn Sweater is a great song, it was one of the weakest songs of their set. Ira literally dismantled a guitar on stage at one point...once again..a missed opportunity. The constant cutting to different people was jarring and totally distracted from the actual music being played. FAIL. So much fail. 

the two to three minutes we spend with Jen Kirkman actually made me dislike her. As Billy Crystal would say..."It's not fun. It's not funny".

I could have seen more video of the acutal art as well. At one point, there is a shot of someone taking pictures of an art installation with their iphone...I think a footage of the actual installation he's taking a picute of would have been much more interesting.

Out of all the moments in the doc, I think my favorite was seeing Jeff interact with the local Mayor and police force. Just a really cool moment, and a further emphasis on just how proud and happy to have Wilco come to their small town every year.

Finally, the worst part of this doc, is coming to the realization that I won't be going this year. :(

and the awful, and uncomfortable montage of festival members staring into the camera. 

I had an opposite take on that.  I really liked it.  It showed the diversity of the people brought together by music, and I think it was making a statement that the folks participating in an event are just as much a part of what gives it energy and it's unique identity as the groups playing.  They did some of those 'intense humanity staring down the barrel of the camera' shots in the Fugazi documentary to similar effect.  I think Brendan Canty has long been interested in how that works.

I had an opposite take on that.  I really liked it.  It showed the diversity of the people brought together by music, and I think it was making a statement that the folks participating in an event are just as much a part of what gives it energy and it's unique identity as the groups playing.  They did some of those 'intense humanity staring down the barrel of the camera' shots in the Fugazi documentary to similar effect.  I think Brendan Canty has long been interested in how that works.

I know what it was trying to accomplish, but it just felt unnecessary and over dramatic. It also cut away from the Yo La Tengo performance.

I understand this was more of a documentary than a concert film, but I do wish we had more video of the performances. Would have made a great DVD extra...if we ever get a DVD.

I won't argue with a request for more YLT, ever. Also, while they do an admirable job performing tracks like 'Autumn Sweater' live, they're still more 'album songs' than 'live songs'. That one might be a favorite track for a mix tape, but while we're filming in hd I could really go for a romp like 'Deeper Into Movies'.

I'm also bummed by the lack of Mark Mulcahy. J Mascis was a surprise, and I had wondered why he wasn't on the Solid Sound bill because he lives in that area.

I agree on the stare-down shots. I feel like they went on a little too long.

Did anyone else feel like this film communicated Solid Sound to be a sort festival where children are just allowed to run free? There were a lot of shots where children just romped around, played in the dirt, with no parents in sight. There were no shots of the kids room, either.

Although, that shot in the beginning with the two little girls, embracing, free-spirited. That was awesome.

Also the story behind Mark Mulcahy, and it being his first live perfromance since his wife died several years ago., must have been completely lost on the film makers. Did I mention that Pat used to come to his Miracle Legion shows when he was younger? He not only played a great acoustic set of Miracle Legion songs (songs he hasn't performed in over a decade), he also played a song with Autumn Defense. He probably had the most "interesting story" of all the acts..and they completely ignored him. I'm happy the nutjob stamping dollar bills got some airtime though....