there did seem to be a lot of shots of children, with no real explanation why they were there. i don't recall it's ever mentioned that parents are encouraged to bring their kids.

Personally, I think there were too many young kids at the event last year. As a parent I would never want to be chasing around my 5 year old at a music festival.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched it a second time, I thought the movie was OK.  I guess I had high expectations that in reality just weren't met.  I would have preferred more Wilco concert footage. But, the film did a good job conveying the spirit and vibe of SS.  I liked the "still" shots of the crowd, I'm always interested to get a read on the other fans of whatever group I'm seeing.  Seeing those shots made me feel like I was back at SS more than anything.  As to one of the other comments here, I liked the Jen Kirkman footage, I'm a fan.

As having never been to a SS, the documentary was definitely a great way of informing me and satisfying my quench for visually seeing the space.  I thought it could have been better but I have watched it through twice and think it is pretty good. 

The title Every Other Summer reminds me of the summerteeth lyric "one summer a suicide another autumn a traveler's guide."

Also the story behind Mark Mulcahy, and it being his first live perfromance since his wife died several years ago., must have been completely lost on the film makers. Did I mention that Pat used to come to his Miracle Legion shows when he was younger? He not only played a great acoustic set of Miracle Legion songs (songs he hasn't performed in over a decade), he also played a song with Autumn Defense. He probably had the most "interesting story" of all the acts..and they completely ignored him. I'm happy the nutjob stamping dollar bills got some airtime though....

Hey, that nutjob is Ben from Ben and Jerry's

I'd like to chime in regarding the sequence of patrons staring into the camera.  For me, that section was the most compelling portion of the movie; by asking us to look, really look at those multitude of faces, it conveys something about the egalitarian spirit of Solid Sound, including the close relationship with the community and including how those faces, whether famous or not, are all of a piece.  The sequence is long and stylized, yes, but that's what sets it apart from typical fly-on-the-wall footage.  It was a poetic touch in a document that, whatever its pleasures, needed more such touches.

I'd like to chime in regarding the sequence of patrons staring into the camera.  For me, that section was the most compelling portion of the movie; by asking us to look, really look at those multitude of faces, it conveys something about the egalitarian spirit of Solid Sound, including the close relationship with the community and including how those faces, whether famous or not, are all of a piece.  The sequence is long and stylized, yes, but that's what sets it apart from typical fly-on-the-wall footage.  It was a poetic touch in a document that, whatever its pleasures, needed more such touches.

I agree, and I wasn't a super big fan of the doc. I especially liked how they had Jeff (and I think other band members or performers) in that sequence with the rest of us laypeople.

My friend and I are among those folks staring into the camera for what does appear to be an awkwardly long time (really just a few seconds).  Most of the folks look serious or intense, but the camera person caught us towards the end of day three -- it seems to me we're the only ones grinning with the unabashed glee of Solid Sound saturation.  Plus we were a little drunk.  :beer

I wonder if they in fact filmed the full Wilco performances on both nights? It would be incredible to have a 2 show release of both nights of Wilco from 2013!!!

While I doubt this....wouldn't it be something if they were getting together something with that? You know those Solid  Sound shows from 2013 (Roadcase #18 & #19) are the only two Roadcase shows that are no longer available? I wish they'd surprise us at Solid Sound with that release! A DVD/Blu-Ray & CD Box Set of the 2013 Wilco performances for continuing 20th Anniversary goodies goodness on the occasion of the Solid Sound of their 20th Anniversary!

That would also provide great future continuing publicity for Solid Sound itself- as the film itself clearly is. The film highlights that there was initially money lost, & only recently just a little money made. It's nice to hear the 3-day passes are likely to sell out this year, along with the single day Saturday night tickets too. Things like Solid Sound (and that they do it to share an amazing experience & not to make money) are why I've tried, during times of more abundance, to really support the larger artistic project of Wilco (giving out merch to folks who are like minded as gifts etc. ... maybe buying another Roadcase show that only has one or two songs that are repeated at other show...now an even harder/rarer enterprise after the string of 20th Anniversary releases)- I love the vision & the heart.

Well, one can hope & dream! I'll settle for an announcement about a forthcoming new album (they apparently did that at the 2011 Solid Sound), & it would be amazing to hear any new songs... or maybe close the Fest with the song they closed the film with...or to have them finally do "Sunloathe" live ;)

What is "the extras trailer" I'm not sure I know about any "extras"...curious....

I've been hoping that they surprise us and play a new album all the way through without a single leak leading up to the festival.  

• 5 months later...

I'm sure many of you have already seen this in email.

This Thanksgiving weekend we're kicking back and enjoying a little R&R. In that spirit, we're offering 10,000 free streams of Every Other Summer, the movie about Wilco's Solid Sound Festival. So when you've had your fill of family and football, grab some leftovers, go HERE and enter the code SOLIDTHANKS15 in the promo field during the checkout process. (And don't worry if you snooze -- the stream stays active for seven days).

With gratitude from the extended Wilco HQ family to you and yours. Happy Thanksgiving.

I really enjoyed this. I have never been to Solid Sound, but this film seemed to give a good feeling of the overall vibe, and it seemed like a great experience. No, it was not heavy on Wilco performances, but for sure the members of Wilco were the beating heart of this film. I cracked up at the scene where that guy was driving Jeff around and they were looking for anyone who knew who he was. *laughs* I loved the part about Glenn's buried drums and loved seeing all the kids bang on them. I loved the bird lady and her birds!

I admit I did not see this film sooner because I was annoyed that there was no option other than streaming it. But I was very thankful to receive the free rental code and hooked up my big TV to my computer and thoroughly enjoyed watching it yesterday morning. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I raved about it to some friends who came over last night who know Wilco only marginally, and we all watched it, and they really enjoyed it too!

I was really touched by the reactions of the people from North Adams. Selfishly, I've thought they should move this festival from region to region around the country. I don't think that anymore.

Same here. Now I want to attend the festival.

Why did Pat slam his Telecaster into his amp in the Cut Your Hair clip?

That was a very candid moment, wasn't it? I don't know that anyone has an answer, but to me it looked like a moment of real frustration on Pat's part, which--since the band is so damned accomplished--is something we don't usually get to see. I thought it was very humanizing. It was also really sweet to see Nels giving him a hug afterwards. 

Well, on second viewing, that scene was right after they pointed out that the band had been practicing for something like ten hours straight.   It doesn't take very much to make a person frustrated under those conditions.  Band practices can be like a movie set. Lots of time spent turning knobs on amps and pedals to find the right sounds, and relatively little actual music making.

• 1 year later...

Just got around to watching this on google play. Anyone have any info on the song the band play in rehearsal near the start of the film? I saw in the credits that it's called "Coconut Oil" and was written by Wilco. I had never heard it before and thought it must be a cover they were rehearsing. Very cool song.