• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CNN Breaking News Alert:

CNN will host the first Democratic presidential debate in Nevada on October 13, with the exact location to be unveiled in the coming weeks. CNN's first GOP debate airs on September 16 in California.

See, that just makes the networks look partisan to me.  It's bullshit.  We need a radical centrist, objective, mainstream media source.... I mean other than C-SPAN.

See, that just makes the networks look partisan to me.  It's bullshit.  We need a radical centrist, objective, mainstream media source.... I mean other than C-SPAN.

Every network will host its own debate of each party. The only exception I see is that Fox does not seem to have a scheduled Democratic Party debate.

Do the other networks get to pick who gets in the debate?

If my understanding is correct, it works out this way.  The RNC/DNC set up the schedule and then have sponsoring organizations (for example tonight's debate is sponsored by FoxNews and Facebook.)  The sponsoring organization is generally a media outlet who puts up the money, time cameras, hosts, etc for the debate.  

It is then up to the sponsoring organization and the National Committees and candidates to figure out the rules.  Be it the time, the questions, who is on stage, etc.  There is a bunch of stuff that goes into this (ie who stands where, if you can directly respond, etc.)  The sponsoring groups will also pick who gets to debate, which has to be done.  For example if I declare and file as a Democrat candidate for President there is no way I will be able to debate Clinton.  This is probably to keep out the goof ball non-serious candidates, though this year I don't think it worked.  And it is such a big deal is because there are such a large number of "credible" candidates.   But you can't have 16 people up there it would be more of a dumpster fire than it is now.    

The reason why FoxNews is hosting a debate is that the GOP is trying to focus its message and get the most viewers out of this (this really is a ratings thing).  FoxNews is not going to host the Dems, just as MSNBC is not going to host a GOP debate, the ratings are not there.  Remember this is a primary, it is all about shoring up your base.  There is no fairness doctrine anymore and there is nothing requiring equal time to opposing views.  

man this kids table debate is turning into a real shit show.  Each of these guys is trying so hard to distinguish themselves with their true conservative credentials they are saying some pretty crazy stuff.  Santorum is the son of Regan?  Jindal will use the IRS to go after Plan Parenthood?  Graham is going monitor Mosques (which already is happening to my shock)?  

Fiorina looks like she is setting herself for a VP nomination.  Bush/Finorina 2016?  Could that beat Clinton/Clark ticket?  Doubt it?

I take my social studies students to an area Mosque every year. I know people who worship there and I respect and admire them. Are there a small number mosques that need to be monitored? Hell yes. Just like there right-wing hate groups that need to be monitored.

That said, yeah, the debate was pretty pointless.

I'm mid-way through the first debate.

Fiorina has handled herself pretty well. Easy to see how she was an effective executive. Rick Perry is bafflingly inept as a public speaker. I may be biased since I find his existence repugnant

I loved hearing Santorum rave about how we must treat everyone equally under the law--unless you're gay or a pregnant woman, of course.

Rubio hands-down had the most presidential performance of that main debate. Thought Kasich did well. Ted Cruz is such an asshat. Christie did better than I would have expected. Huckabee is going to save social security through taxes on pimps 'n' hoes.

I am here at work listening to three co-workers discussing all of Trumps positive attributes. *sigh*

Interesting analysis of the debate and the Trump factor by Howard Fineman over at HuffPo.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-gop-debate-trumpism_55c446ede4b0d9b743dbb5d7?kvcommref=mostpopular

Admittedly left leaning, but interesting.  He more than any other candidate is pushing the GOP field to the right and far far right.  

Trump is obviously tapping into something here, really going for the young/middle aged, uneducated, white, male vote.  Who has a strong voice in GOP politics right now.  

That's the game they have been playing for years...out conservatising each other. One guy starts out with a position and the next guy has to go further, all the while convincing themselves and supporters that their positions are mainstream. The Overton Window theory in action.

I hope Trump wins the nomination because it will ensure another Democrat president will be in office for four more years.

I just read through Patton Oswalt's tweets (during GOP debate) --- funny, funny stuff. 

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/07/patton_oswalts_live_tweeting_of_the_gop_debate_is_the_best_thing_that_happened_last_night/

"That concludes our debate! Please welcome the Koch Brothers who will choose an ideological broodmare from our whore-stable!" #GOPDebate

FTW!!

I hope Trump wins the nomination because it will ensure another Democrat president will be in office for four more years.

The best thing for the GOP would be for Trump to be hit by a falling piano or a meteor. He oozes toxicity.

The best thing for the GOP would be for Trump to be hit by a falling piano or a meteor. He oozes toxicity.

But he is leading the polls right now. And this is after saying dome really hateful things (unknown what the Megan Kelley thing will do to his numbers).

What this means is a plurality of GOP voters believe and supports his hateful message and views.

Trump is exposing the true nature of today's GOP.

But he is leading the polls right now. And this is after saying dome really hateful things (unknown what the Megan Kelley thing will do to his numbers).

What this means is a plurality of GOP voters believe and supports his hateful message and views.

Trump is exposing the true nature of today's GOP.

No he isn't. And if Charles Manson were leading the Unabomber and ISIS in a poll of Democrats he wouldn't be exposing the true nature of their party, either.

No he isn't. And if Charles Manson were leading the Unabomber and ISIS in a poll of Democrats he wouldn't be exposing the true nature of their party, either.

This right here is the challenge. Reasonable Republicans rightfully shudder at how awful he is. They're stuck voting along side some yokels who eat up his garbage. Trump is the most divisive figure amongst the right wingers for some time.

Could Jeb or Rubio bring them all together?